Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Chess?

n0body555

Does anyone here play chess? Online, in person or both?  In the last month I've found enjoyment playing, and learning about the game. Kinda looking for buddies to play with, learn from, or whatever.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Smile said:

Does anyone here play chess? Online, in person or both?  In the last month I've found enjoyment playing, and learning about the game. Kinda looking for buddies to play with, learn from, or whatever.

I plays chess on lichess.org

The animated Pixar short called "Geri's Game" made me want to learn how to play chess since I was very little. I learned some moves from watching others, but eventually my first step dad's former best friend showed me how when I was about 4? And ever since I've struggled to find anyone to play with. They're either bored by or something against the game. I'd play against computers but I found it disheartening knowing it was a machine. By the time I met people who did enjoy playing, they didn't like playing more than a few rounds because I have no sense of strategy, making the first game interesting because I seem like such a wild card, and then it's like playing against that 4 year old, because they essentially are. :laugh::(

If you know of a website where you can get randomly paired up with someone I'd give it a try, but I personally don't have the ability to schedule a set game with anyone at this time.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, SharpWit said:

The animated Pixar short called "Geri's Game" made me want to learn how to play chess since I was very little. I learned some moves from watching others, but eventually my first step dad's former best friend showed me how when I was about 4? And ever since I've struggled to find anyone to play with. They're either bored by or something against the game. I'd play against computers but I found it disheartening knowing it was a machine. By the time I met people who did enjoy playing, they didn't like playing more than a few rounds because I have no sense of strategy, making the first game interesting because I seem like such a wild card, and then it's like playing against that 4 year old, because they essentially are. :laugh::(

If you know of a website where you can get randomly paired up with someone I'd give it a try, but I personally don't have the ability to schedule a set game with anyone at this time.

Chess.com !

Tons of people playing all the time. There is a ranking system to play against others of your own skill level. There's puzzles to check out, and even computers of different skill levels! It kinda takes a while to develop a strategy, and understand what you are trying to do. I've only been playing a month. Feel free to hit me up, and whenever you get the chance let me know.

• Brohoof 2

I haven't really played in ages xD 

In high school there were quite a number of chess tables in my cafteria and we used to play during the long break an noon (almost an hour). I play now and then also a little chess but nothing really big. 

• 9 months later...

Let's bring this topic back alive. Yes I'm a chess fanatic although I'm around ELO 500-1000 player so not very good but I'm still always up to play against anyone who dares to challenge me! :sneer:

• Brohoof 1

On and off interested in chess, but the more you learn about the games, the more you see you have to memorize a lot of stuff. Playing it against a computer is like asking to lose, and playing against anyone online would probably be the same.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Splashee said:

On and off interested in chess, but the more you learn about the games, the more you see you have to memorize a lot of stuff. Playing it against a computer is like asking to lose, and playing against anyone online would probably be the same.

Yeah this. I enjoy watching it online but less playing by myself online since I mostly lose. There are way too good players

Moments ago, Lunaholic said:

Yeah this. I enjoy watching it online but less playing by myself online since I mostly lose. There are way too good players

So, I am making a lot of games currently, and most of them I have never made before. I think chess is one of those games I could potentially make and create the AI for it. I just don't know if I feel like losing though. I think I would create the game and make an AI before I would even consider playing chess online against real humans.

6 minutes ago, Splashee said:

So, I am making a lot of games currently, and most of them I have never made before. I think chess is one of those games I could potentially make and create the AI for it. I just don't know if I feel like losing though. I think I would create the game and make an AI before I would even consider playing chess online against real humans.

AI chess tournaments do exists as well. However there are so good engines out there like AlphaZero, Stockfish 15, LeelaZero, Komodo Dragon etc. that it would be a fun challenge to try to make a better AI than them :ButtercupLaugh:

This is the biggest failure of me playing online

[Site "Chess.com"]
[Result "*"]
1. f4 e5 2. g3 exf4 3. gxf4 Qh4# *

Black managed to checkmate me in 3 moves. I didn't even know that's possible... now I know :mlp_wat:

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Lunaholic said:

it would be a fun challenge to try to make a better AI than them

That's the thing, most chess AIs do have a database of opening moves. And good chess players remember a lot of opening moves by names! It is not fair.

• Brohoof 1

I have been dying for a irl chess game. My local tcg store has some really fancy chess boards + pieces I would love to get if I had someone to play with.

That being said I suck at chess. I’m like Arin from Gamegrumps level of bad with chess. But I still love to play anyway

I played it a lot growing up. But no one really plays it with me anymore. I have a Star Wars chess set and some find it hard to differentiate which pieces are knights, rooks, pawns, etc, so errors are sometimes made and that results in tempers and no more chess.  

Stuck at an intermediate level of destroying rl novices and friendly competition but lack an neurotic obsessive understanding of specific strategies used within the game to pose a consistent threat to online chess fanatics, I know how to play pretty well, and I know about the trap and corners strategies, but some of these people are next level on the web 

On 2022-10-23 at 2:54 PM, Lunaholic said:

Let's bring this topic back alive. Yes I'm a chess fanatic although I'm around ELO 500-1000 player so not very good but I'm still always up to play against anyone who dares to challenge me! :sneer:

Hey! Do you have discord? I'm around 1160 Rapid.

On 2022-10-30 at 9:25 PM, Clawdeen said:

I have been dying for a irl chess game. My local tcg store has some really fancy chess boards + pieces I would love to get if I had someone to play with.

That being said I suck at chess. I’m like Arin from Gamegrumps level of bad with chess. But I still love to play anyway

Almost guarantee you there is a chess meet somewhere where you live. I found a local chess club in town, and started playing every Wednesday over the board and love it. You learn a lot.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Smile said:

Hey! Do you have discord? I'm around 1160 Rapid.

Almost guarantee you there is a chess meet somewhere where you live. I found a local chess club in town, and started playing every Wednesday over the board and love it. You learn a lot.

I’ll have to look. It would be pretty cool to have some people to play against. 

I was playing chess during high school times. I was never a pro, but knew some nice tricks, including some move patterns allowing a quick victory against inexperienced players/those who don't know such patterns :laugh: We had a teacher, who was an absolute beast though and promised an A to anyone who would be able to defeat him. Nobody did and plenty of classmates tried a lot of times xD

Overall it's a fun game and maybe I will even return to it someday, but like I said - I was never very good at this with my talents being elsewhere. 

Hey, I play chess against my computer! I know all the rules and movements of the pieces, and I also have some clever strategies! Sadly, I have never played against a friend. But I'd like to try to play against somepony and see how good I actually am at chess!

Does anypony in here think they can play with me? If yes, how can we do it?

On 2022-11-10 at 9:37 AM, Lunaholic said:

Sounds like a challenge! ...which I most likely lose.. And yes Juho-94#3031 is my discord

I've added you. It's nobody#2570

On 2022-11-11 at 8:17 AM, LCpony417 said:

Hey, I play chess against my computer! I know all the rules and movements of the pieces, and I also have some clever strategies! Sadly, I have never played against a friend. But I'd like to try to play against somepony and see how good I actually am at chess!

Does anypony in here think they can play with me? If yes, how can we do it?

Yeah, if you'd like you can add my discord nobody#2570

And you can play on chess.com. It's free. You can play puzzles, AI's or random people.

5 hours ago, Smile said:

Yeah, if you'd like you can add my discord nobody#2570

And you can play on chess.com. It's free. You can play puzzles, AI's or random people.

Thank you so much! I'm about to send you a friend request! My Discord is Lucian#9673.

Also, I've heard of the Chess.com website, and I also have planned to make an account on it in the future. However, I don't think I'm ready to do that right now.

But if playing with you means making an account on there, then I will do just that!

Edit: I can't send you a friend request. It's not letting me. You'll have to send me a friend request.

Edited by LCpony417

• 3 weeks later...

I like the game, but I suck at it and can't really be bothered to improve. I watch analyses of famous games from time to time, though, when the almighty algorithm happens to recommend one.