Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Veterinary Assistant

SharpWit

20220218_145231.thumb.jpg.d0411467cb001d8ff4ed46979a472283.jpg

Hello everyone! I've been a Veterinary Assistant for about a year and a half now, and thought it'd be nice to share some of the experience.

Feel free to ask about my line of work, other things I've done, or even my favorite flavor of Jello if you feel so inclined.

Not offering much in terms of veterinary advice. If your animal is having an issue, call your local vet and get it looked at by a professional.

@TheGleaner

Officially our clinic does small, but kind of minors in large?

I was brought on by my girlfriend who is one of the two vets. We worked together, started dating, and moved in with each other prior to her finishing school. So I work in Small Animal because she does, and she didn't want to work specifically with just horses or for the meat industry.

There are two main reasons why small animal care is more expensive than large. The first is that small animals have a higher demand for medical attention. Owners are more likely to thoroughly treat a typical pet over livestock, so cats and dogs are seen for more issues. This is in part to not all treatments being practical for large animals.

Purely as a scenario example, let's say a cat and a cow have the same issue that could be treated with the same medication. The treatment for the cat appears expensive, but the cow is quite literally 100x heavier, and thus needs an equivalent amount of medication. The cost of treatment quickly overrides the value of the cow unless you're really attached to it and have the financial backing.

The potential for large animals to be more expensive is there, but this is really only exhibited through horses and some highly prized livestock.

There are also exotics to factor, but as the animals under that category are far less commonly owned and are so diverse that a lot of specialization is required.

The second main reason is that large animals are largely treated in bulk. You might have a single cow with a leg injury, but in all likelihood you're examining an entire herd or flock for other animals. Since you're dealing with so many, it's reasonable to charge less overall because as the vet you'll be making more overall.

But the reason why any of it is so expensive, is because it's Healthcare. The fact it's on an animal means treatment will probably be even more complicated and difficult, so of course the cost is going to be comparable to that of a person. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

I guess that was somewhat what I was half expecting. 

We run a few hundred head of beef cows and well, I'm sure you've heard of the large shortage in that area and well your reply somewhat confirmed why or what I had figured anyways.

For better or for worse, most things are done on our own with what we know from the schooling we did and what we were taught by the old vets.

• Brohoof 1