Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Introducing the 2023 MLPF World Cup

Jeric

dae31273b5781f6c818b93c75887633f.png

5a49361e1ee23_MLPFWorldCupLogo.thumb.png.29d982c60050e53031bf09248b389503.png

What is hay is the World Cup?

Back in 2014 a member here launched a poll tournament (here) which was inspired by the FIFA 2014 World Cup. A tournament that would pit 64 characters against each other in poll based matches until just one champion remained. The MLPF inaugural World Cup started in December 2013 and didn't concluded until July 2014 with a Final Match between Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle. Twilight was crowned the ultimate winner in grand fashion. Unlike character popularity polls that happened before and since, this one felt more like an event in its own right. The team behind the event created images of flags, jerseys, and anthems for the top 32 characters. There were 'interviews with characters by characters' in each match, provided by @Batbrony. What started as a normal pony popularity poll grew to a 300+ page thread of character analysis and adoration. Some members created several amusing RP centric posts describing their characters in epic stories that rival Greek Mythology. Most of my first personal interactions on this forum started in that thread, and it was around this time that I became a die hard Rarity fan. This was all championed and run solely by the membership, showcasing that fantastic events do not always come from staffers. 

In 2018 I brought the World Cup back, altered from a 1 on 1 match to a multiple character team match up. Characters now represented actual locations within Equestria. 32 teams competed and eventually ... one team survived ... Team Moon ... anchored my Luna herself. This whole affair took over a year to conclude, and in epic fashion Equestria was saved from Grogar (the real one not the fake one we got in the show). It was so successful that we are bringing it back with much of the same trappings as before, but this time there will be a few minor tweaks to streamline the Cup. With the final seasons released we can now include characters from season 8 and 9. We will have appearances from Gen 1, Gen 4, Equestria Girls, Gen 5, and books and comics. Some characters will be absent for most of the competition. The biggest change will be the ability to not just adopt a team, but also submit your own Original Character to play along side the heroes of this story. 

I want to take a moment to break down the parts of this years Cup in a simple fashion.

• 32 Characters will be selected to lead/coach 32 teams based on Pony locations. These characters cannot be eliminated. This time they will make sense for the Teams. 
  • Remaining Characters will be seeded into 32 teams randomly. 
  • You will vote on the characters you want to see in each team providing three core team members. 
  • Fans will then select the team they want to root for. Doing this will grant you the right to have a World Cup Trophy for the team you selected. 
  • Next, I will open submissions for OC's to be added to teams on a first come first served basis. 
  • Next, the teams will be placed in brackets and matches will be randomly assigned. 
  • From there ... The Sweet Sixteen ... it will be elimination. One and done. 

There will be giveaways, surprises, and the fans who originally picked the winning team will receive a special commemorative pin themed for this event. There is another large event also launching this week so the World Cup will slowly trickle out during the holidays, but follow this forum gents. This is going to be exciting. Characters and Locations will revealed tomorrow. 

• Brohoof 11

*sees 32-team pony World Cup tournament on the horizon*

Batbrony: "Let them fight."

commission__derp_knight_rise_by_bakki_d6

Sing, Muse, of the anger of ponies, children of Fausticorn!

Prepare yourselves, everypony. If you think this is all fun and games, you are sorely mistaken.

Songs shall be sung of the battles to come! Heroes and villains will triumph and perish, kingdoms will rise and fall, and legends will be born!

Mark my words, everypony, hold onto your plots and get ready for...

...EPIC LANDSCAPES...

gates_of_yakyakistan_by_shamanguli_dc3hf

...STOIC AND SUPER DETERMINED PONIES...

what_is_going_on_out_there__by_jowyb_dbg

the_long_watch_by_anticularpony_d8yq7m5-

...TRAGEDIES AND BACKSTORIES AND TRAGIC BACKSTORIES...

goodbye_sister_by_lrusu_dcemvjm-fullview

...HORRORS AND NIGHTMARE FUEL...

everyday_horror_by_inuhoshi_to_darkpen_d

...MUFFINS AND ROMANCE AND SHIPPING, SWEET CELESTIA, TERABYTES OF SHIPPING (did I mention the muffins? You bet your plot there's gonna be muffins)...

breakfast_special_by_inuhoshi_to_darkpen

a_room_for_two_by_tomatocoup_dc36pga-ful

...STYLISH PONIES WITH IMPECCABLE FASHION SENSE...

rares_by_ncmares_dabm4ed-pre.png?token=e

daqlytc-616cdd29-1d1c-417e-bd49-e2b4e7c2

...MOMENTS OF RESPITE AND TRANQUILITY...

d8yj4ci-d13be864-7cb2-45cd-84fe-ec407307

...BIRDHOUSES...

good_soul_by_yakovlev_vad_da31eak-fullvi

...SOCKS AND HOODIES...

_collab__and_then_there_were_five_by_ncm

...CANADA...

gabriel_request__11_11__by_ruefers_dbtg9

(just kidding, everypony knows Canada doesn't exist)

...ALICORN PRINCESS PREGNANCY CRAVINGS...

they_re_called_cravings_by_ncmares_d9dqv

...DEER...

nonchalance__3_by_yakovlev_vad_dbpt796-f

Wait a minute, that wasn't on my lis- DANG IT @Ashen Pathfinder, STOP MESSING WITH MY LIST!!!

...AND LOADS AND LOADS OF GRATUITOUS ACTION AND VIOLENCE THAT WOULD MAKE EVEN MICHAEL BAY'S HEAD EXPLODE!!!

the_king_s_gold_by_assasinmonkey_d8uinyz

dragon_war_by_nemo2d_dbpqata-pre.png?tok

the_shattering_by_shamanguli_dbfbnxk-pre

...butttttttttttttttttt, knowing how these things go, it'll probably end up like shonen anime where like 99% of the characters/groups that start out as intense antagonists end up befriending and allying with the protagonists and in the end there's only like one REALLY evil antagonist for them all to confront, who way too often ends up disappointing and not being nearly as compelling as some of the earlier antagonists, but hey, knowing this fandom I'm sure we'll deliver something grand!

Confused? I know I am, that's why I made this whole post in the first place! Now, let's get out there everypony (metaphorically speaking, I mean, we all actually have to use the Internet for this thing after all) and have an amazing 2022 World Cup Forum activity that blows that sports/human rights travesty happening in Qatar right now out of the water!!! I'm off! *cue dramatic and way over-the-top exit*

• Brohoof 7

17 hours ago, Merry Brony 42 said:

I still don't understand what it is. :worry:

A more complex, story driven, team flavored, pony popularity contest … with badges 

• Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, Merry Brony 42 said:

I still don't understand what it is. :worry:

Let me sum it up to you, lovely

WE ARE GONNA HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!! COME JOIN, PLEASE !!! MESSAGE ME LIKE THAT ONE EVENT WE SHARED TOGETHER IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS /)
:pinkie:

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Merry Brony 42 said:

@Silly Wings I like badges. :) I will try to participate as best as I understand. But I will ask for help if when I get confused.

Oh that's right! I believe you told me you have the most badges! <3 
This shall be my first year trying this! So it would be nice to try it together. But for sure the Secret Santa thingy gives badges. Maybe we'll pair up. :twilighthat:

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-11-21 at 10:50 AM, Batbrony said:

...butttttttttttttttttt, knowing how these things go, it'll probably end up like shonen anime where like 99% of the characters/groups that start out as intense antagonists end up befriending and allying with the protagonists and in the end there's only like one REALLY evil antagonist for them all to confront, who way too often ends up disappointing and not being nearly as compelling as some of the earlier antagonists, but hey, knowing this fandom I'm sure we'll deliver something grand!

Confused? I know I am, that's why I made this whole post in the first place! Now, let's get out there everypony (metaphorically speaking, I mean, we all actually have to use the Internet for this thing after all) and have an amazing 2022 World Cup Forum activity that blows that sports/human rights travesty happening in Qatar right now out of the water!!! I'm off! *cue dramatic and way over-the-top exit*

Oh, comeon. It's just a casual backyard friendly game of buckball. How bad could it be?

buckballwar.thumb.jpg.dfd3c4682eb39ca38dbaeeb295da3ed7.jpg

• Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Splashee said:

2022 is so last year :P

Oh, I might want to join this too, but I need to know exactly how?

Please join! With so many events being cooked up behind the scene, this one had to be moved, so it may end up being WC, 2023! :laugh:

but it shall be fun. Would be happy to have you to join :pinkiecutehat:

hope you had a lovely Christmas! 

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Introducing the 2023 MLPF World Cup
  • The topic was locked