Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Are people tired of depending on streaming yet?

Fluttershutter

Yeah I’m pretty pissed with Netflix when it comes to that. I was wanting to watch The Craft tonight but oh look surprise it’s gone. While I do like the convenience of having so much to choose from without buying the dvds/blurays financially having all of these different streaming services start to add up.

I'm just sick of the constant fragmentation of services. Every publishing company and TV channel just has to have their own service. By the time you pay for like 5-6 different streaming services you're looking at a bill that's equal to cable, which defeats the whole purpose of streaming.

• Brohoof 1

I have Peacock, Hulu, Disney+ and Funimation with me for the time being so I'm good. What concerns me are the crackdowns on password sharing because streaming services don't like the idea of other consumers using their relatives' or friends' streaming accounts at no cost because they themselves can't afford streaming services, especially when it comes to monthly fees to fill in their pockets. If streaming services start to fail because they decide its a good idea to jack up prices while cracking down on password sharers because they're that greedy, then it shows that they're no better than cable TV with limited options with channels locked behind subscription paywalls. I'm still at least dependent on streaming until they decide to do something stupid. Tubi is a perfect example of a streaming service that requires no subscription payments and their contents offered are alright, even if lackluster at times.

There's also Vudu, which is also a good option as you don't pay for subscription fees, you just buy movies and TV shows alike, and if you link your account to Movies Anywhere, then it becomes an even better convenience. Now, as much as I love owning physical copies of DVDs, the problem is that if they're used too often and are not handled properly, they can wear and become difficult to enjoy as a result of wear over time.

• Brohoof 1

I do not watch a lot of new TV shows, so a streaming subscription would be a waste of money. Also, I dislike subscriptions in general - anything that requires me to pay continuously instead of one-time.

That being said, I still watch a couple of shows while sailing the seven seas. I also buy some physical media (especially older movies) and record some stuff from TV (either using a VCR or some other method). 

I have paid for some live streams though - some concerts. I recorded them to video tapes so I can re-watch them in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

No. Philo is the only streaming service I currently have, which is the cheapest price of 25$ month for live streaming subscription cable channels only. I'd love to get satellite TV, but it costs way too much. I can't get cable where I'm at though. Philo is the only streaming service I can afford right now. Hope Philo can remain strong as it is right now. 

54 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle97 said:

No. Philo is the only streaming service I currently have, which is the cheapest price of 25$ month for live streaming subscription cable channels only. I'd love to get satellite TV, but it costs way too much. I can't get cable where I'm at though. Philo is the only streaming service I can afford right now. Hope Philo can remain strong as it is right now. 

Just remember that Tubi has some good stuff and is free.

• Sad 1

Streaming is one of those things were people complain about it, but it's not really enough to drive us into a full divorce with it. Only a slim few manage to do that.

There is an appeal to not having to download anything, buy anything physical, and it's much faster to find what you want to watch. Even if a streaming service has tons of options you never care about, find a good one, and you'll still have tons upon tons of hours worth of content that you'd sooner watch than what is provided from the alternatives. Most of all, people love being able to watch any time at all, as many times as they want. Old school TV kept us a slave to their schedule. DVR and illegal recordings leveled the playing field, but by comparison, streaming just feels like freedom.

Doesn't mean it's perfect. People have brought up all the flaws. Streaming services dropping the titles you like randomly. Originals that have no physical release. Crazy prices. Can't own anything. You might have to subscribe to MULTIPLE streaming services just to match the variety you can get on TV, and by that point, the bill will be comparable to a monthly TV bill if not more. :maud: But hey, if people are happy with this and the flaws aren't enough to make them try alternative solutions, then who are we to say otherwise? Let people enjoy what they enjoy.

I do miss when TV shows were weekly or even daily events. :mlp_icwudt: However, some people genuinely enjoy when entire seasons drop all at once. Binging is fun to them. I am not here to say one is better than the other, but having both would be nice.