Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discovery Family still owns partial rights to G4 content

Steve Piranha

This is the reason G5 has been, and will remain light on G4 content. It’s interesting this turn of events, as this could shed light on some scenarios. Either being a distant sequel but with their hands tied to fully exploit it, OR could be the reason it’s a sequel in the first place instead of a reboot :mlp_huh:. Still, they don’t seem to mind paying the occasional fee to make a couple of appearances.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2023/10/my-little-pony-generation-4-show.html

"There's going to be some changes around here! Now, every time I see you using your own characters, I'm going to charge you for it! Ararar!" 

I know, Spongebob quotes are so overused, but yeah...I think it makes fun of this stupidity well enough. :maud:

• Delighted Giggle 1

I’ve been thinking, as either scenario is possible.

1-They wanted more G4 characters appearing than what we have, but the added cost of the fees makes them hold their horses (pun intended) on it. However, the occasional gratuitous cameos like Shining Armor this last chapter makes me think the other possible scenario is more likely 

2-They wanted to reboot FIM instead of making a distant sequel. Think about it, outright having protagonists where you have to pay fees is much more expensive than the occasional cameo. That’s a massive incentive to use new characters. Second is the confirmation of “THAT leak” that they were thinking of a reboot by word of the writers after G5 made its debut. Third and final, artists released concept art of G5 with the Mane 6, like this:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.20f7f9336059c01fb48b2d493d44449d.png

They got the logo, and the final artstyle, so it’s likely they’ve changed the FIM M6 to the current M6 pretty far of development 

What does this mean for the G4 alicorns showing up in the flesh in Make Your Mark?

On 10/25/2023 at 9:16 PM, Steve Piranha said:

I’ve been thinking, as either scenario is possible.

1-They wanted more G4 characters appearing than what we have, but the added cost of the fees makes them hold their horses (pun intended) on it. However, the occasional gratuitous cameos like Shining Armor this last chapter makes me think the other possible scenario is more likely 

2-They wanted to reboot FIM instead of making a distant sequel. Think about it, outright having protagonists where you have to pay fees is much more expensive than the occasional cameo. That’s a massive incentive to use new characters. Second is the confirmation of “THAT leak” that they were thinking of a reboot by word of the writers after G5 made its debut. Third and final, artists released concept art of G5 with the Mane 6, like this:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.20f7f9336059c01fb48b2d493d44449d.png

They got the logo, and the final artstyle, so it’s likely they’ve changed the FIM M6 to the current M6 pretty far of development 

Yeah but they didn’t say his name 

15 hours ago, WickedGames said:

The question I want to know is how much does this prevent the G4 alicorns from straight up showing in the flesh?

It shouldn’t, as we have seen Twilight, Celestia, and Luna, and cameos with Shining Armor being the most recent. But it’s clear the number of appearances will be limited

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

It shouldn’t, as we have seen Twilight, Celestia, and Luna, and cameos with Shining Armor being the most recent. But it’s clear the number of appearances will be limited

Flurry Heart and Candace will the hardest to a cameo for given that would have to make a new model for Flurry Heart and unfortunately they were the least important alicorns 

• 4 months later...

There's still hope for all G4 content to return to Netflix by 2025, because:

1. All countries still receive at least one season of Friendship is Magic on Netflix.
  2. According to Nielsen, kids don't watch linear cable TV anywhere near as much as streaming services like Netflix.
  3. Hasbro needs to do what's best for the kids that want to see G4 on streaming because they're curious about it while watching G5.
  4. Hasbro also needs to stop giving Discovery Family a hard time and let them air more WB cartoons. After all, the channel did get rid of six Hasbro-produced shows in the last two years, and now there's only five left still airing there, all of which are now the absolute oldest shows on it.