Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What is so Special About Adventure Time and Doctor Who?

Homura Akemi

I actually think Adventure Time is better than My Little Pony.

I hope I don't get crucified for that, I love MLP, but Adventure Time is one of my favorite shows ever. It's not very plot-based, but most cartoons aren't. It's about as plot-based as MLP IMO, which is juuuust right for a cartoon. I think all of the characters are great, the show is very imaginative. There's some brilliant creature designs and I personally really like the music score. Every once in a while there are some more plot-based/character-driven episodes that you can really get into emotionally. But at the same time, the show never takes itself too seriously.

I don't watch the new Dr. Who, but I loved the show when it was on a few years ago. I never know when it's on, and it might be hard to catch up. But I loved the show because it was just so imaginative at times. Like Adventure Time, it doesn't take itself too seriously, but knows how to make you emotionally invested. There's a lot of quirky designs and some thought-provoking ideas sprinkled throughout. The acting as I remember was pretty good, but I think they've changed actors once or twice since I last watched the show.

I think with both shows... they just have to *click* with their audience.

There's tiny little details in them that win you over, but they're easily missed. I think beyond all the acting, animation, comedy, action, writing, etc. there's something that people just subconsciously connect to.

Like MLP, it can be a show you become hooked to immediately, or several episodes.

I got really into AT and DW after seeing just one episode, but with MLP I watched it from the beginning and didn't see what was so special and then I just gradually fell in love with the characters.

• Brohoof 2

If you like to have your brain beaten about and your jimmies rustled, one of your first episodes of Doctor Who should be Blink. It doesn't contain much of the Doctor in the episode itself, but it's one of the hallmark episodes since the show returned.

"Blink" in my opinion, transcends the show itself. It's a very well written and suspenseful science fiction tale that stands well on it's own. It's also infused with the shows unique humor. "Wibbly wobbly timey whimey" has rightfully entered the meme-sphere.

Only watch the clip I'm putting in spoilers, if you really want a spoiler. It's a funny scene, but right at the end, it's quite sad when you understand what the doctor means.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqmAQwHNA0

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

Adventure Time! really has no plot or point to it. It's just short serial adventures with little to no continuity between episodes.

>little to no continuity between episodes

This makes me question how much AT you've watched. There's a lot more continuity than you think, even if some of it is as insignificant as, for example, when Finn threw his sword at the tesseract and it never made another appearance. Some has a bit more potential, such as the Lich's possession of the waving snail that appears in every episode, especially the end of the episode "In Your Footsteps" where he obtains the Enchiridion (hey, more continuity). Then there's the Magic Man arc with "Freak City" and "Sons of Mars," the multiple Nightosphere episodes, and more. What I'm waiting for is a major world-building / history episode or series of episodes that delves deeper into what happened in the events leading up to the Great Mushroom War and in the years thereafter. The earth that the series takes place on doesn't look like someone took a bite out of it for nothing, as Lobstaarr said.

As far as a good AT episode to start out with, my first was Rainy Day Daydream. Really, the only episodes I don't recommend are ones in the middle of an arc, like Sons of Mars (which you should only watch after both Freak City and the pilot, actually, because holy shit King of Mars is Abraham Lincoln who was in the pilot oh my god).

Having watched just about every episode of both series, I can say this much:

Adventure Time - The show is wackiness incarnate, and yet there's a sense of controlled chaos to it. There's enough randomness to keep you entertained, but at the same time, enough of a plot in each episode (some episodes MUCH more of a plot than others) to give you something to follow. Not to mention the unconventional dialogue and bold writing. It's a breath of fresh air that Cartoon Network DESPERATELY needed.

Doctor Who - Any sci-fi fan can appreciate the premise of the show, but what really draws me in is the way that all the aliens are integrated into human life. According to the show, most of the aliens seen have been with us long before we even realized it. My favorite example would be the Vashta Nerada. (Sorry; no spoiler 4 u ;)) There's that, and the fact that the situations get more and more steep with each season, which only makes the Doctor get more and more epic!

These are only my opinions, though.