Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What is so Special About Adventure Time and Doctor Who?

Homura Akemi

I've decided since we have fans of BOTH shows on here, that I would ask. I will ask both questions in seperate manners. READ THEM BEFORE YOU REPLY.

First off, I'm not a TV watcher overall. Before I started with MLP, I saw TV as a waste of time and never bothered. Now MLP is the only time I turn it on. I also watch a favorite anime online. (The only anime I watch.) Soo..in that case.

1: What is so special about Adventure Time?

2 years ago this summer my younger cousin showed me 2 episodes, and perhaps that wasn't enough until one can get into it. While I applaud the voice acting, I saw no plot or real point in it. There are so many guys freaking over this show that I know in real life. I'm really starting to question if I should give it another chance. Recommended episodes? How is it compared to MLP?

2) What is so special about Doctor Who?

I have a different story: I have never seen it. A majority of Tumblr loves this show. I am British myself and like British films and actors, so it has to be something I'd like, right? Which series should I watch first? It seems I just can't get the motivation to watch it.

Thanks, guys. I'm not asking to compare these shows at all, just individual reasons of why they're supposed to be so great.

I'm not really big on adventure time, it has it's funny moments. But I can't stand the animation.

Doctor Who, like every show has it's good and bad moments. It's one of the longest running scifi shows for a reason. It's very funny, interesting and very quotable. I think it's kind of wrong to judge it without watching even a single episode? Doctor Who gets better the more episodes you watch of it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've seen Adventure time, I enjoy it's random moments, that's something I like, if you like random fun, then you'll love it!

As for Doctor Who I've never seen it at all, don't really care to either haha. Although it may be good.

Edited by ApocalyptiCchaos

Doctor Who takes some intelligence to follow and doesn't patronize its audience by spelling out facts and plot threads like American TV shows. It has good dialogue, memorable characters, and clever plots. I'll admit at times the sci-fi elements of the show can look really fake and hokey like a bad horror movie, but if you can look past that, it's a great show.

• Brohoof 6

We seem very similar. I don't watch much TV because I hate most of the shows I get on cable. Then I discovered some other shows on channels I don't get like the HUB, BBC, etc.

I'm still hearing about shows that people are crazy for that I haven't watched yet. Like I JUST NOW watched the first 3 episodes of Sherlock on Netflix and I like it and I can see how it has such a big fanbase.

---

Adventure Time! really has no plot or point to it. It's just short serial adventures with little to no continuity between episodes.

I still love the show because its voice acting, art direction, creativity, and animation.

The humor is hit and miss with me though. Sometimes I find it a bit immature or too randomly funny.

But then sometimes the humor is great with some clever sexual innuendos or morbid themes!

Its just different and I like it most of the time. I'd watch a few more episodes, you might like it.

---

Dr. Who I don't watch as frequently as I should. My friend is crazy about it and my sister picked it up and loves it.

I've only watched the first 2 seasons of the New Series of Dr. Who.

I really like it, but I just haven't had the time to watch more of it.

---

There are some other shows I see people raving about though that I have yet to check out.

Torchwood is apparently a spin off series of Dr. Who that has a bit of a fanbase.

There are countless Sci-Fi shows like Star Trek, Battlestar, Firefly, etc. that I never watched that people say are great!

Also people seem obsessed over Game of Thrones lately.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

2) What is so special about Doctor Who?

I have a different story: I have never seen it. A majority of Tumblr loves this show. I am British myself and like British films and actors, so it has to be something I'd like, right? Which series should I watch first? It seems I just can't get the motivation to watch it.

Thanks, guys. I'm not asking to compare these shows at all, just individual reasons of why they're supposed to be so great.

Doctor Who is a fantastic show. Why? Because it contains great acting, great story writing, and fantastic humor. It's essentially a sci-fi show that takes place in modern times, but due to the ability of time/space travel it explores the "what ifs" of the future (and past).

Personally, I love it due to the extremely creative nature it has mixed with excellent humor in every episode. And to top it off, the show isn't simply a sit-com like format where episodes have no relation to each other. The writers actually tie in almost every single episode into a grand over-arching plot that develops not just over one season, but many seasons all together. The vision of the writers to look so far ahead in the show and plan it out so perfectly is amazing.

That said, I've only seen the "new" Doctor Who episodes (and some older movies), so I can only give a great recommendation on the newer series that started with Christopher Eccleston and afterwards.

As for watching it, Netflix has all but the most recent season. There are also plenty of websites that allow free viewing of them, but I've since lost the links to the good ones.

Edited by Strife

I've yet to even see an episode of Doctor Who but I find Adventure Time great.

Like Wild Card, I'm wondering if I can find Doctor Who anywhere online, as I don't have netflix and I don't know one station that shows it.

(edited)

Doctor Who is brilliant (that's a reference). The show has unique a premise, storylines, and characters.

The main contributor to the shows success is the fact that the actors can change without much distruption (you'll understand why once you start watching). It can be cheesy at points, but even the cheesiness can be hilarious and/or awesome.

The protagonists are dynamic and the villains are complex. There is always more added to the story and the continuity in between seasons is fantastic (also a reference), so don't blink, don't even blink (yet another reference).

Adventure Time will kill you. Don't watch it. Adventure Time is meh.

Edited by Vinyl Pon3 Scratch

If you like to have your brain beaten about and your jimmies rustled, one of your first episodes of Doctor Who should be Blink. It doesn't contain much of the Doctor in the episode itself, but it's one of the hallmark episodes since the show returned.

• Brohoof 1

Doctor Who takes some intelligence to follow and doesn't patronize its audience by spelling out facts and plot threads like American TV shows. It has good dialogue, memorable characters, and clever plots. I'll admit at times the sci-fi elements of the show can look really fake and hokey like a bad horror movie, but if you can look past that, it's a great show.

Probably the best description of the show ever.

That last part is so true, but it adds a bit of a charm to the show

Doctor Who is a fantastic show. Why? Because it contains great acting, great story writing, and fantastic humor. It's essentially a sci-fi show that takes place in modern times, but due to the ability of time/space travel it explores the "what ifs" of the future (and past).

Personally, I love it due to the extremely creative nature it has mixed with excellent humor in every episode. And to top it off, the show isn't simply a sit-com like format where episodes have no relation to each other. The writers actually tie in almost every single episode into a grand over-arching plot that develops not just over one season, but many seasons all together. The vision of the writers to look so far ahead in the show and plan it out so perfectly is amazing.

That said, I've only seen the "new" Doctor Who episodes (and some older movies), so I can only give a great recommendation on the newer series that started with Christopher Eccleston and afterwards.

As for watching it, Netflix has all but the most recent season. There are also plenty of websites that allow free viewing of them, but I've since lost the links to the good ones.

This. I totally agree.

I wouldn't recommened trying to watch the old series unless you're really dedicated (25 seasons) and are able to take the really fake looking stuff, because other than that, it's incredible.

All you little Whovians should start off with the episode "the forest of the dead" and after that, "blink", just to get a clear idea of how Doctor Who actually shows you the dangers of sci-fi.

Adventure Time is decent in my opinion.

It is extremely weird, but I think that's one of the things people love out it. There isn't a whole lot of plot, but there is actually a ton of back story and hidden details that can be easily missed if you don't pay close attention. The creators intentionally add things for the fans to find.

Dr. Who is pretty good as well. I haven't seen very many episodes, but I have liked what little I have seen. (Weeping Angels....freaky stuff :blink: ). Check out a few episodes if you're a Sci-fi fan. You'll probably enjoy it.

I'm not really big on adventure time, it has it's funny moments. But I can't stand the animation.

Doctor Who, like every show has it's good and bad moments. It's one of the longest running scifi shows for a reason. It's very funny, interesting and very quotable. I think it's kind of wrong to judge it without watching even a single episode? Doctor Who gets better the more episodes you watch of it.

I didn't mean to sound like I already have an opinion on Doctor Who. I apologize if I did.

Whoops! Mobile device caused me to double-quote!

• Brohoof 1

I didn't mean to sound like I already have an opinion on Doctor Who. I apologize if I did.

Whoops! Mobile device caused me to double-quote!

No problem :) !

You should definitely give it a try :D ~

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure what I find so appealing about Adventure Time, but I like it more than MLP.

... I guess it's just a hit n' miss sorta deal? There's so much backstory that the creators haven't even produced it's not even funny. Seriously, there's an explanation as to why there's a giant chunk of their planet missing.

Also, who doesn't like party bears?

post-2915-0-93922200-1339557162.gif

I dunno about Dr. Who. It sounds good, but I don't want to invest such a massive amount of time to reach the current arc...

If you like to have your brain beaten about and your jimmies rustled, one of your first episodes of Doctor Who should be Blink. It doesn't contain much of the Doctor in the episode itself, but it's one of the hallmark episodes since the show returned.

"Blink" is one of the best stories in science fiction itself. It transcends it's show in much the same was as the episode "The Inner Light" in Star Trek the Next Generation. (The Inner Light brings me to tears any time I watch it)

I dunno about Dr. Who. It sounds good, but I don't want to invest such a massive amount of time to reach the current arc...

You can skip all the old seasons and start from Season 1 of the newer series. It's made so you can do that.

You can skip all the old seasons and start from Season 1 of the newer series. It's made so you can do that.

But then I'd miss out on so much :U

But then I'd miss out on so much :U

Watch all of them then.

And if you don't have the time to do that, then just watch the new seasons, they'll make perfect sense without having watched the old ones.