Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Top 10 animated films that are/were BANNED in some countries

FirePuppy

(edited)

We all love animated movies, but sometimes, there are those that just aren't viewable at all in our country because of certain regulations. Thus, here is my top 10 list of animated films that are/were banned in these specific countries. The bans are ranked in order from least concerning (green) to most unforgivable (blood red). Please note that the first 3 movies in the list are adult-oriented, and the last 7 are kid-friendly.

10. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)

The motion picture based on Comedy Central's longest-running TV series is banned in Iraq due to showing Saddam Hussein as a homosexual, who was president of Iraq at the time.

9. Sausage Party (2016)

For several years, Sausage Party was banned in Malaysia due to sexual content and for the fact that pork products aren't consumed by Muslims. While the film clearly never got released in Malaysia to date (at least according to IMDb), it's still unclear whether if the ban got lifted or not.

8. The Simpsons Movie (2007)

Burma has banned The Simpsons Movie due to fear that the characters would cause bias, over the fact that the country's flag uses the colors yellow and red.

7. The Prince of Egypt (1998)

Due to its negative portrayal of a prophet, which is considering illegal under Muslim law, The Prince of Egypt is banned in modern-day Egypt, Malaysia and Maldives. A pretty reasonable ban -- unless you're Muslim-American.

5. Lightyear (2022)

In Lightyear, there is a scene where a lesbian kiss occurs for just a few seconds. Disney refused to cut this scene, and as a result, the film ended up banned in Egypt, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and pretty much every other country in the Middle East. It's also banned in the People's Republic of China. Nonetheless, there are still official Arabic subtitles and a PRC Mandarin dub available in countries where the film isn't banned, so that's still something. A pretty harsh ban indeed.

5. Strange World (2022)

You're probably wondering why I tied Lightyear with Strange World. Well, for the same reason as to why Lightyear was banned in the Middle East, Strange World contains a gay main character named "Ethan Clade", who's only 16 years old, by the way. Because of the Middle East's strict laws regarding LGBT, Disney chose not to release Strange World in those countries, which still counts as a ban anyways.

4. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

In a couple of scenes, there is a transgender flag hanging in Gwen's bedroom containing the words "Protect Trans Kids". No matter what purpose the flag was used for, because it was still used, the film ended up banned in at least four countries in the Middle East. I find this ban a little more unfair than for Lightyear and Strange World.

3. Abominable (2019)

Over a week after being released worldwide, Abominable was banned in Vietnam, the Philippines and Malaysia due to a map containing a nine-dash line. Because Universal refused to cut the film, it still remains banned in the countries I mentioned. Not such a reasonable ban, honestly, as the film does have Malay and Vietnamese subtitles on Netflix in countries where the film isn't banned.

2. Onward (2020)

If you think Lightyear's ban wasn't harsh enough, check this out. Onward was banned in a few of the same Middle East countries only because in just a few split seconds of the film, a female cyclops police officer indicated that she was a lesbian, by uttering the words "my girlfriend's daughter". Russia, however, did manage to change the line to "my partner's daughter". By far, the worst ban ever done to an otherwise kid-friendly movie -- but nowhere as bad as #1!

1. My Little Pony: Rainbow Roadtrip (2019)

Despite containing nothing objectionable whatsoever, Rainbow Roadtrip is still banned in most of Western Europe, Northern Europe and Turkey at the very least. The 2019 Equestria Girls specials all currently share the same fate in every country from these regions. Obviously, the most unforgivable ban made to a kid-friendly movie -- EVER!

And that's my list of top 10 animated films that were banned in certain countries.

Edited by FirePuppy
  • Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

Lol, the horror of Rainbow Roadtrip.

If it's really "banned" all over europe I'm guessing it's some copyright issue. It's hard to find in general.

It's never been banned anywhere – I've only seen one person claim that. It just wasn't picked up by any TV channel or streaming service in those countries. Its rights appear to have been sold separately from those of season 9, just like the "Friendship Is Forever" clip shows (still unaired in most countries but definitely not banned).

21 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

It's never been banned anywhere – I've only seen one person claim that. It just wasn't picked up by any TV channel or streaming service in those countries. Its rights appear to have been sold separately from those of season 9, just like the "Friendship Is Forever" clip shows (still unaired in most countries but definitely not banned).

I still think that is kind of off topic regarding the other nine films I mentioned here.

• Leaves 1

Pretty much anything of LGBT content especially trans is going to be banned without question in some countries.

The reason why is because it strongly believed that the entire LGBT concept originated from Satan.

So basically from their viewpoint anything trans or general LGBT related would be seen as the US equivalent of walking into the Catholic church wearing a black robe and sacrificing a baby to Satan.

That's the exact level of offense they get from LGBT content in those countries.

And unfortunately for MLP because there is some canonical LGBT relationships then you can pretty much count on them equating MLP with pro Satanism beliefs.

The only way to lift the ban for MLP or other movies/series would be for all pro LGBT relationships or content to be removed or edited out  in some way immediately.

Other than that I don't see the bans ever being lifted.

On 2024-02-17 at 10:38 AM, Tacodidra said:

oh, I was wondering why it was banned. Turns out it wasn’t, just some copyright BS

• Brohoof 1