Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What are some unpopular opinions you have related to film?

AveryGamerDude

• 2 weeks later...

The Star Wars prequels are decent and better than the sequel trilogy (apart from Episode IX, since that is only now about to open in theaters).

There are some weak moments in all three prequel films, but Episode III is still spectacular and when you disregard the cheesy humor in Episode I and how annoying Anakin is in Episode II, none of them are really bad. I don't think any of them waste a significant amount of time or throw away important characters like Episode VIII does... maybe that's because they knew certain characters like Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Yoda, etc. needed to survive and thus appear in the original trilogy.

Compared to both VII and VIII, the fight choreography is actually well-done; lightsaber combat is energetic, athletic, and technical, unlike the "violently swing your lightsaber and hope you hit something" combat of Rey and Kylo Ren. The fights are more meaningful and more emotional, especially in the climactic duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin but also in the duel between Yoda and Palpatine and all three fights with Count Dooku.

And honestly? The prequel era is just so much more fleshed-out, with the Clone Wars animated series showing Anakin's continued evolution as a character after completing the trials but before the last days of the war. I realize that there hasn't been anywhere near as much supplemental material for the sequel trilogy, probably because it's only now just ending, but still... Star Wars Resistance fills in little gaps, but honestly? What you learn about the characters and the state of the galaxy in Resistance is very little and inconsequential compared to what The Clone Wars teaches you about the final years of the Old Republic. You learn more from the comics and novels, and even then, those still sidestep some questions that we all want to know the answers to.

• Brohoof 2

I’m not sure if this is unpopular, I actually don’t think it is but I’m gonna post it anyways. Leonardo DiCaprio is an absolutely fantastic actor and deserves much more credit than he seems to get.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 3:59 PM, Prospekt said:

The Star Wars prequels are decent and better than the sequel trilogy.

Honestly, I'd go as far to say that Episode III specifically is better than most of the original trilogy. At least it shows you how the Sith are bad instead of just saying it, while also showing you that the Jedi aren't all the good they're cracked up to be. Though I wouldn't say that for I and II, III was actually a great movie.

• Brohoof 1

Alright, here we go...

• Frozen wasn’t good. Also, Olaf is fucking annoying.
  • The Minions are not funny, charming, or at all enjoyable. Like Olaf: incredibly annoying.
  • Coco was boring.
  • Finding NemoMonsters Inc., and UpWall-EInside Out, and Finding Dory were all below average. Would not watch again ~
  • Toy Story 3 was the perfect ending. A fourth movie was straight up not necessary.
  • Dumb and Dumber is one of the funniest movies to ever exist.
  • Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are the funniest Adam Sandler films.
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, AveryGamerDude said:

WHAT?! That's an unpopular opinion?! There's no way!! :lostit:

I’ve heard people say it isn’t that funny :mlp_wat:

11 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

The Minions are not funny, charming, or at all enjoyable.

That’s actually not unpopular at all, at least from what I’ve observed in online discussions. Lot of people can’t stand them.

What IS unpopular is my opinion of actually kind of liking the little weirdos. Also, my mom thinks it’s flipping hilarious when I mimic the twitchy, feral purple minions, so I do that quite a lot.

So good old fashioned family bonding. :ButtercupLaugh:

16 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

Finding NemoMonsters Inc., and UpWall-EInside Out, and Finding Dory were all below average. Would not watch again ~

Now THAT is an unpopular opinion! Damn! :o

What Pixar films did you like most? Give me a few, I want to get a sense of your taste.

• Brohoof 2

24 minutes ago, AveryGamerDude said:

Who? Critics? :toldya:

Idiots :laugh:

13 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

That’s actually not unpopular at all, at least from what I’ve observed in online discussions.

What Pixar films did you like most? Give me a few, I want to get a sense of your taste.

I know that I am certainly not alone on the Minion thing but I had to express that I hate them. I can’t help it :sealed:

My favorite Disney/Pixar film would probably be Toy Story 3. It was so good!

4 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

Minion thing but I had to express that I hate them. I can’t help it 

That’s fine. There’s lots of stuff people like that can’t stand either.

5 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

My favorite Disney/Pixar film would probably be Toy Story 3. It was so good!

Is that the only one out of the Pixar line-up?

• Brohoof 1

most movies are horrible wastes of money and time. Sometimes you get a kubrick or scorsese but generally movies aren't art, just amusements for people who are easily impressed

Hmmm. Would calling Joker a good movie constitute an unpopular opinion?

I mean, I wouldn't say I liked it, given that it was depressing as heck, but as a drama, it worked really damn well.

• Brohoof 1

Star Wars: A New Hope is extremely overrated and not enjoyable for most of the film. There's too much padding, slow pacing, bad writing, irrelevant scenes (Jawas having no relevance to the plot or movie whatsoever) that ruin the movie. Not to mention, Luke and Han are very unlikable characters for most of the film. Then there's the lightsaber "duel" with Obi-Wan and Vader, easily the most anticlimactic lightsaber duel in the series. "Strike me down, and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." That line was literal cringe. No wonder why George Lucas was terrible at writing scripts.

Once Upon a Time in America is easily one of the worst films ever created. The uncut version is too long and sleep-inducing.

Edited by Magic Note
I updated my post.

• Frozen is overrated. Moana is where it's at.
  • I like Sailor Moon Crystal, even though the anime is commonly ridiculed for not being as good as "the classic."
  • I like Insatiable. It's a Netflix original starring Debby Ryan, and it is actually really good. Season one was okay, but season two is where sh** started to hit the fan. It was the BEST
  • I like live action Disney films.
Edited by Emerald Heart
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Illumination isn't a bad movie studio

I liked Doug's First Movie

Even though I don't hate CGI animation traditional will always be better since you could experiment with styles yes I know you can do it with CGI but it's much harder to make it stand out and CGI also doesn't age as well.

On 2020-01-01 at 5:04 AM, AveryGamerDude said:

Who? Critics? :toldya:

That wouldn’t surprise me :scoots:

On 2020-01-05 at 3:37 AM, Holly Jolly Emerald said:
  • Frozen is overrated. Moana is where it's at.
  •  

Oh yeah, Moana is superior than Frozen :proud:

The Brave Little Toaster is one of the best animated movies ever made. I never hear anyone ever talk about it and it seems to have been forgotten about. Which is a shame because it’s so good. The original book is well done too.

• Brohoof 2