Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Zoop

tl;dr warning

Tribes Ascend

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RjdB4_rkqU&hd=1

Is an online first person shooter that breaks the cookie-cutter mold of your standard every day Call of Duty style first person shooter. Movement is fast as hell thanks to the game's jetpacks and unique skiing mechanic, and combat requires a bit of extra skill due to the fact that your bread-n-butter weapons are a far cry from the hitscan spray-and-pray common to so many modern shooters; instead, weapons fire projectiles that have travel time, and velocity inheritance.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayaBHJeEpbw&hd=1

Gameplay is team-based, with three modes currently available: Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, and Rabbit; wherein there is one flag on the map, and the goal is to kill whoever has it, take it, and stay alive for as long as possible while holding it.

Taking a hint from Team Fortress 2, Tribes Ascend is free to play; while payment options do exist, the only purpose they serve is to allow you to unlock additional classes and such with greater speed than what would otherwise be possible... and to be completely honest, my favorite class is one of the two that comes unlocked from the start.

But... yeah, I've been a Tribes fan for close to ten years now, and while I didn't care much for Ascend when I played it earlier this year at PAX, it has since more than won me over, and has become the first new PC game in a while to keep my interest for any appreciable amount of time. Highly recommended to any shooter fans that want a change of pace!

As of a few days ago, the game is now out of beta and officially launched!

MLP Forums players/usernames:

(in hindsight, this list is a little bit silly due to the fact that nearly everyone is using the same name they use on the forum)

Zoop: Zoop

Flare: Flare03

Jonke: Jonke

Klopp: Klopp

Lady Rarity Pony: LadyRarityPony

NewCalamity: NewCalamity

Nico: NicolaiB92

RariShy Sparkle: Roompa

The Broken Toast: TheBrokenToast

Vex3D: Vex3D

LowfatEnvelope: LowfatEnvelope

Kaborer: Kaborer
WiponCat: WiponCat
Lobstaarr: Lobstaarr
AceCord: MrL0LZGamer
Lumen: Nakkila
Lord Sprixx: Sprixx
Sealion: Sealion
ArcanePony: ArcaneCarrot

Posted Image

• Brohoof 5

I haven't been playing it too much since I got your Trial code, but so far I am very much enjoying it. The skiing bit takes a lot of getting used to, but I got the hang of it quite well after a few runs through. I just wish I could pick classes other than Ranger and Soldier for now. I tend to be best as a Sniper in most FPS games, so I am looking forward to the class that gives a sniper rifle which I forgot the name of and am not bothering looking up right now.

I still haven't seen you online at all though, Zoop. I look forward to playing a round or 2 with you. Would certainly make a nice change playing a game we can both be fairly adept at.

Sentinel would be the sniper class...one option if you want to unlock some stuff faster, by the way, is to grab the ten dollar booster - it'll increase your XP/token growth rates by quite a bit while active, in addition to a smaller - but permanent - boosts as well.

I still haven't seen you online at all though, Zoop. I look forward to playing a round or 2 with you. Would certainly make a nice change playing a game we can both be fairly adept at.

I went a couple days without playing, but I'm back into the swing of things now. I played a bit with LRP earlier today, in fact. What times would you be available for throwing some discs around?

I typically launch the game (or, the game's launcher more specifically) through Steam, so you can always tell if I'm playing while out of game that way. :)

I went a couple days without playing, but I'm back into the swing of things now. I played a bit with LRP earlier today, in fact. What times would you be available for throwing some discs around?

Just about any time over the next three days, preferably after 10pm (9 for you of course) cause I will probably be playing Skyward Sword, sleeping, or eating before then.

Just about any time over the next three days, preferably after 10pm (9 for you of course) cause I will probably be playing Skyward Sword, sleeping, or eating before then.

We shall make it so!

I might aswell join this beta too =)

Excellent. :)

Be sure to let us know your profile name once you've gotten setup; Klopp, Lady Rarity Pony, and I use our normal forum names.

We shall make it so!

Excellent. :)

Be sure to let us know your profile name once you've gotten setup; Klopp, Lady Rarity Pony, and I use our normal forum names.

I will too if it's not taken. xP

god... some parts of there site is buggy.. x( nvm... fixed it.

Edited by Jonke
  • Brohoof 1

hmm I saw this somewhere and it completely slipped my mind until now!

Not sure if my computer can handle it but I'd like to try it.

I've been in need of a new fast paced shooter ever since I got bored of Unreal Tournament 3 and this seems right up my ally!

I'll probably get to this after the hustle and bustle of the Holidays is over! :P

Is that gameplay in the first video from the beta?

Even on highest graphics the game looks nothing like that for me.

The videos above are both posted by HiRez studios, so it is likely they have done their best to polish up just their own videos for advertising. The end game will probably look a lot like that, but those of us who play it now obviously don't have the luxuries of such graphics. Thankfully graphics are the last thing I look at when judging a game though ;)

Is that gameplay in the first video from the beta?

Even on highest graphics the game looks nothing like that for me.

Are you sure that your graphic card can handle full hd? Example a display resolution like 1920x1080.

If your graphic card supports it. it could be your screen who doesn't support full HD (1080).

• Brohoof 1

Are you sure that your graphic card can handle full hd? Example a display resolution like 1920x1080.

If your graphic card supports it. it could be your screen who doesn't support full HD (1080).

hmmm I'll have to check my graphics card capability but I think Klopp is right that the gameplay is from a touched up private version. My graphics card can definitely handle more than the ugly graphics I am seeing :L

If anyone is interested, I am logging on right now. I have the urge to want to kill a few people.

This looks really good, I'll have to see if I can get onto the beta.

If you want to, just send me a PM and I'll give you one of the Trial codes I've got.

I don't seem to be doing a very good job of hitting anything in this game :P

It can definitely be a bit difficult starting out. :lol:

Both of the initial classes are viable in their own ways, so if you're not having much luck with one you should give the other a shot. The ranger's rifle can be a little tough to use right at first, but once you get a handle on how to lead with it you can do a fair bit of damage; likewise the secondary weapon (Thumper DX) is pretty good, too - if you use it at short range you can aim it more or less exactly like you would the soldier's spinfusor.

My internet connection completely dropped out during that last game. :(

Also, for people with microphones, a Skype call could make things a bit more entertaining. ;)

I don't seem to be doing a very good job of hitting anything in this game :P

It takes a while to get a hang of timing everything as the projectiles are pretty slow in speed. It was not that hard for me as I'm accustomed to timing Grenade Launcher shots in Halo Reach and timing bullet drop in Battlefield. Basically the same idea only with enemies sliding across the ground at 100 miles per hour :P

One of my friends let's me use his account to play the beta, I've played a good few matches. I've come to the conclusion that it is totally awesome. It does take a while to get used to the projectile based weapons though, but when you do get a kill with a spinfusor airshot, holy crap do you feel like you accomplished something.

And just going around the map at an extremely high speed while bullets are going over your head and going off jumps to get high up is just an experience you really can't find anywhere else.

It does take a while to get used to the projectile based weapons though, but when you do get a kill with a spinfusor airshot, holy crap do you feel like you accomplished something.

I know right? :lol:

Every time I see the 'Blue Plate Special' icon appear a can't help but grin like an idiot.

If you've got a Facebook account, you can guarantee yourself immediate beta access via the link I put in the post up top, by the way. :)

This looks pretty fun and I'd like to give it a go. Do I need to get a referral code from someone already in the beta, or is it just a matter of registering for it?

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the bit about Facebook. Downloading now. :D

Edited by Krall

This looks pretty fun and I'd like to give it a go. Do I need to get a referral code from someone already in the beta, or is it just a matter of registering for it?

If you register via the Facebook link in the first post, you'll get an access code immediately. Otherwise, one of the other folks in here could give you one of their referral codes. I'd give you one myself but I'm empty at the moment. :blush:

I'm having some issues with the game. When I load it up I get to the log in screen, but I can't see my cursor, and most of the buttons and text is invisible, so all I can really see are the username and password boxes, and the submit and cancel buttons. Logging in was difficult when you have no visible cursor to speak of, but I managed it. I then got to the main screen, but my character is just a black silhouette (though they do still move) and my cursor still isn't visible.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?