Post your unpopular opinions

Lord Theoretical

Um... No. You don't get to slap a label (especially not one that is fan-made) on anybody.

It bothers me that what most likely started as a fun title decided by and for a few fans of the show, has now become a 'label' that automatically applies to every individual underneath some criteria which is so loosely defined that everybody thinks they get to define it for everybody else.

That's not any way to deal with a fandom title. Fandom titles are just for fun, and to say that everybody who likes the show fits under the label whether or not they want to is...dumb. It's just for fun.

Why does it bother you so much? You are a fan of the show you are a brony. I dont get why people act like its a stigma and why do fandom tittles have to cause us trouble? We are just saying you like that show... Whats the big deal?

(edited)

If someone doesn't want to associate themselves with the word "brony", they shouldn't have to if they don't want to.

Edited by Kamina
  • Brohoof 3

Why does it bother you so much? You are a fan of the show you are a brony. I dont get why people act like its a stigma and why do fandom tittles have to cause us trouble? We are just saying you like that show... Whats the big deal?

My reasons for it bothering me are irrelevant to my point here, but I've always made it known when the subject has come up.

The only ones making 'trouble' out of fandom titles are those who say they apply to everybody who enjoys the show. It doesn't work that way. Aren't fandom titles just supposed to be for fun?

• Brohoof 1

mlpwoodwinds.jpg
Everything needs more woodwind!

I think that, outside of designated places, ponies oughtn't be talked about.

Imagine if any other fandom started doing that. :<

It only creates drama and makes people dislike ponies, as far as I'm aware.

Also, I don't think that most stereotypes are acceptable, especially when it comes to languages.

"German sounds so aggressive blablabla." Yeah, any language is going to sound aggressive when you yell it.

"French is so romantic." "All Arabic languages sound the same", etc.

No. Just, no.

Nothing gets my blood boiling quicker than that.

Especially if said people don't even know anything about the language(s) they're talking talking about.

• Brohoof 1

I think that, outside of designated places, ponies oughtn't be talked about.

Imagine if any other fandom started doing that. :<

It only creates drama and makes people dislike ponies, as far as I'm aware.

While I do agree with you, this is not a problem specific to this fandom. The Doctor Who fandom is all over the place, and that series gets brought up everywhere. Including IRL.

• Brohoof 2

mlpwoodwinds.jpg

The only ones making 'trouble' out of fandom titles are those who say they apply to everybody who enjoys the show. It doesn't work that way. Aren't fandom titles just supposed to be for fun?
There are many people who are diverse and like mlp... all of which are bronies to some extent. What is the big deal about it. Think of it as the equivalent of the phrase "you like mlp". Is it wrong? 

There are many people who are diverse and like mlp... all of which are bronies to some extent. What is the big deal about it. Think of it as the equivalent of the phrase "you like mlp". Is it wrong? 

Again, you don't get to define who is and isn't a 'Brony'.

Applying a fandom title to oneself is a stigma all in of itself. It's not the same as saying I like the show. When one applies a fandom title, it's implying (typically pretty accurately?) that not only does one like the show, but they LOVE it, they define themselves by their love for it. The last may seem a bit extreme, but that is exactly what applying a fandom title to oneself does.

I never apply fandom titles to myself, but if I did, I would definitely save it for my top favorite series, and MLP:FiM isn't my top favorite series.

• Brohoof 2

mlpwoodwinds.jpg

While I do agree with you, this is not a problem specific to this fandom. The Doctor Who fandom is all over the place, and that series gets brought up everywhere. Including IRL.

Well, I've personally noticed it less.

Especially IRL. (We don't talk about any shows here, really.)

I guess it depends on where you live.

Homestuck is something I see more than Dr. Who. o:

And yeah, but considering this is a pony forum, it seemed like the most logical one to mention. :P

Again, you don't get to define who is and isn't a 'Brony'.

Applying a fandom title to oneself is a stigma all in of itself. It's not the same as saying I like the show. When one applies a fandom title, it's implying (typically pretty accurately?) that not only does one like the show, but they LOVE it, they define themselves by their love for it. The last may seem a bit extreme, but that is exactly what applying a fandom title to oneself does.

I never apply fandom titles to myself, but if I did, I would definitely save it for my top favorite series, and MLP:FiM isn't my top favorite series.

That is simply your assumption. Thats the problem tho... Assumption is mother of all fuckups.

That is simply your assumption. Thats the problem tho... Assumption is mother of all fuckups.

Let me put it this way:

There is one similar label I apply to myself (as is obvious by my title), and that is 'band nerd'.

Now when you think of that title, do you really think that it has to everybody who is or has been a part of band? Or is it a more 'exclusive' title for somebody who is more passionate about band and their instrument to apply to themselves?

Are you really going to argue that it automatically applies to the individuals who may casually enjoy band, but really are a part of it for the 'A' grade? If not, well, it's the same thing here. There are very casual fans of MLP that may keep up with every new episode, but don't really spend the rest of their time thinking much about it. (For example, I'm mainly a member of this forum because I like being a member of forums... lol. I've joined forums for shows I never even watched, or only got a few episodes into. lol).

I think it's pretty simple... Fandom titles are to be applied on an individual basis, for those who feel like they like the show enough and are immersed enough in it to believe they justify the title. Again, to say that it applies to everybody who likes the show, beyond their will, takes the fun out of it, and only creates more unnecessary rifts in the 'fandom'.

• Brohoof 1

mlpwoodwinds.jpg

Let me put it this way:

There is one similar label I apply to myself (as is obvious by my title), and that is 'band nerd'.

Now when you think of that title, do you really think that it has to everybody who is or has been a part of band? Or is it a more 'exclusive' title for somebody who is more passionate about band and their instrument to apply to themselves?

Are you really going to argue that it automatically applies to the individuals who may casually enjoy band, but really are a part of it for the 'A' grade? If not, well, it's the same thing here. There are very casual fans of MLP that may keep up with every new episode, but don't really spend the rest of their time thinking much about it. (For example, I'm mainly a member of this forum because I like being a member of forums... lol. I've joined forums for shows I never even watched, or only got a few episodes into. lol).

I think it's pretty simple... Fandom titles are to be applied on an individual basis, for those who feel like they like the show enough and are immersed enough in it to believe they justify the title. Again, to say that it applies to everybody who likes the show, beyond their will, takes the fun out of it, and only creates more unnecessary rifts in the 'fandom'.

I don't know what a band nerd is... In any case the rest are misjudgements and assumptions of people who think they know others. Whatever... You make it too much of a deal. I say this because most people who deny being called a brony do it because they are stigmatized by people who make assumptions about them or because they dont feel "adequate" for the tittle enough to participate in its community. Imo everyone that is a member of this forum is a brony. Anyone who takes offense to being called a fandom tittle should recalibrate their tolerance sensors.

I would like you to take note that we shouldnt be discussing it here... Its not a debate.

I have no faith in humanity/society because most kids have no respect nowadays (some do). and with stupid ass Tv shows like teen mom, and 16 and pregnant...all its doing is making dumb kids think "if i get pregnant i can get on tv dur dur dur"....

this is basically me every day...

wXA6nVq.gif

• Brohoof 1

GKMk0B6.jpg

"What are you trying to accomplish, putting yourselves in danger like that? Trying to see "justice" done? Is that really justice, though? Aren't you just doing this because you want a little spice in your boring lives? What's the difference between that and a criminal who gets his kicks by murdering people?You see what I'm getting at? There's still a lot of time left. Give it some thought."

If you can read this and have a problem with me...take it up with my lawyer

(edited)

Um... No. You don't get to slap a label (especially not one that is fan-made) on anybody.

It bothers me that what most likely started as a fun title decided by and for a few fans of the show, has now become a 'label' that automatically applies to every individual underneath some criteria which is so loosely defined that everybody thinks they get to define it for everybody else.

That's not any way to deal with a fandom title. Fandom titles are just for fun, and to say that everybody who likes the show fits under the label whether or not they want to is...dumb. It's just for fun.

You see it as a label, I see it as fact. Maybe we should just agree to disagree.

In life, people are going to label you no matter what. Even if you think it's unfair, you're gonna have to learn to deal with it. I don't mean to be so blunt about it, but that's the truth. Instead of being upset about being labeled as something, learn not to care. It'll make life a lot easier.

Edited by LatinoChurro

I see your point, however bronies like a TV show about anthropomorphic animals.

Yeah, but many don't like it because of the anthropomorphic animals.

Also, bronies do a lot of things with anthropomorphic animals unrelated to TV-watching, such as drawing art and conventions.

Virtually all fandoms do this.

• Brohoof 1

I ship twilight and lysandre together.

come at me haters

In soviet russia. You dont catch arceus. Arceus catches you. *Times s hay was caught. Give nickname to the caught times s hay?*

"My eyes are bleeding green blood. Is that normal?"

(edited)

@,

Looks it up.

It can't be that bad.

Oh.

This is why I don't consider myself a brony anymore.

Thanks for a day of depression mate.

:lol:

Edited by KoGy
  • Brohoof 2

@,

Looks it up.

It can't be that bad.

Oh.

This is why I don't consider myself a brony anymore.

Thanks for a day of depression mate.

:lol:

You're welcome! Come to me for you daily dose of depression! /s  :squee:

My Youtube Channel

I upload clips, animations, and other stuff. I'd appreciate it if you subscribe.

The Miami Heat are the most over-rated, bandwagon having team in the NBA...wonder how all the LeBron fans feel after watching the Heat getting their *squee* kicked by the Spurs (not a spurs fan but i despise the heat with a passion!)

• Brohoof 1

GKMk0B6.jpg

"What are you trying to accomplish, putting yourselves in danger like that? Trying to see "justice" done? Is that really justice, though? Aren't you just doing this because you want a little spice in your boring lives? What's the difference between that and a criminal who gets his kicks by murdering people?You see what I'm getting at? There's still a lot of time left. Give it some thought."

If you can read this and have a problem with me...take it up with my lawyer