Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Sparkle

Alright, so supposing for a moment that Nightmare Moon beats the Mane 6 and takes over Equestria (lets also assume for a moment that her endless night doesn't bring about the extinction of all life on the planet, via some strange illusion or what not), what do you think would happen if Discord got loose while she was running the show? Would she simply take him on, and would it be an even match? (she was more powerful than Celestia after all) or would Discord mop the floor with her. Or would he even do anything?

And supposing Nightmare Moon couldn't beat him on her own, would she try to get the Mane 6 to help her by using the Elements against him?

Thoughts please :D

Luna and Celestia combined could only beat Discord with the Elements of Harmony, so it seems to me that she couldn't beat Discord on her own. That means it all hinges on whether or not she could convince and protect the Mane 6 so they could use the Elements.

Although the chances for her convincing the Mane 6 to help her DIRECTLY AFTER defeating them in a conflict seem low to me.

Well... Eternal night would seem like a bad thing to do, heck, NMM even attacked ponies with thunder. From what I saw she wasn't even intrested in ruling Equestria anymore and just wanted revenge.

That said, I think they would be good buddies. But to contribute, I would say that Discord is much stronger, considering he can alter reality...

Discord is the nearly omnipotent spirit of a fundamental law of nature. Nightmare Moon is basically just a glorified alicorn. Discord would mop the floor with her. Only the Elements of Harmony can defeat him, and she has no way of using them herself. I don't think the Mane 6 would help her out. If anything, they'd let Discord toast her, then toast Discord themselves with the elements.

I saw an interesting fanfic regarding this topic, in which takes place in an alternate reality. Nightmare Moon took over, caused everlasting night, Celestia never returned, and the ponies are dieing and starving because of the moon's ever presence. Under this tyrannical reign of NMM, Discord's escape from stone is accelerated due to all the depression and strife among the kingdom's people. He comes back and defeats Nightmare Moon for kicks and because he can, ultimately saving the day and bringing it back forth. He becomes a hero to Equestria when all he was trying to do was cause chaos.

The story is called 'A Dream of Dawn', and can be found here: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/35393/A-Dream-of-Dawn

i think Discord would win because Discord is a omnipotent spirit how can bend anything while Nightmare moon is just a angry Alacorn who can control darkness.

the elements of harmony were use to defeat both of them but discord could banish the elements to the end of the universe, think the only thing to actually defeat discord, is discord his own madness and desire for fun was why he was defeated

Luna and Celestia combined could only beat Discord with the Elements of Harmony, so it seems to me that she couldn't beat Discord on her own. That means it all hinges on whether or not she could convince and protect the Mane 6 so they could use the Elements.

Although the chances for her convincing the Mane 6 to help her DIRECTLY AFTER defeating them in a conflict seem low to me.

Although keep in mind that NMM beat Celestia with ease, and Celestia was only able to win with the Elements of Harmony afterwards. The second encounter NMM won again, but this time the Sun Princess is no longer attuned to the EoH (the Mane 6 are). Therefore, it is quite possible for NMM to take over Equestria as long as at least one of the Mane 6 are otherwise occupied.

Now, Discord gets loose and wrecks havoc. It took the EoH to defeat Discord both times, but it also took the EoH to defeat NMM both times. We know that both NMM and Discord are more powerful than Celestia, so we'll have to conclude that they are evenly matched, thus unable to defeat each other.

One of them can probably convince the Mane 6 to use the EoH to defeat the other by claiming to be the 'lesser of two evils' type of deal, but neither would take that chance, since if the Mane 6 get a hold of the EoH, then they both can be defeated.

Discord likes to spread chaos and NMM wants revenge, so it is quite possible that they would come to a mutual understanding as both of their goals can be accomplished by helping each other.

Long story short, NMM and Discord co-rule Equestria, possibly even deciding to extend their boundaries to other nations.

Discord is admittedly Stronger. It also apears that nightmare moons powers were lessened by the forced night. Her power is outclassed by the chaos god discord. The lack of forcing night makes princess Luna a greater threat to discord, but not even she could have stood against him. The only reason Discord was even defeated was due to his own hubris.

Discord would win if they were in a conflict. No doubt their battle would be legendary though. Discord is the true embodiment of chaos. I have no doubt he would win.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...