Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Binding of Isaac

GEROMY

A fantastic game. It is a spinoff of the original Biblical tale of the same name. It is a dualstick shooter with elements of a roguelike, with bits of the original Zelda thrown in.

As for story, Isaac's mother believes she hears the voice of God, demanding her to sacrifice her son to prove she loves Him above all else. Isaac escapes into his basement to find that it is filled with droves of mutated creatures, in which he fights back by pelting them with tears or sometimes other bodily fluids. The goal is to find items to mutate Isaac into a stronger being to face the stronger enemies ahead, and, eventually, his mother.

(There's even more to the story, but I wouldn't want to spoil it. Having 100%'d it (not including Wrath of the Lamb) I am up for any kind of discussion. (I know the just of Wrath of the Lamb as well))

If you've played it, share your experiences!

Edited by NastyMann
  • Brohoof 2

The game is pretty cheap for only five dollars, you should consider purchasing it. It's actually insanely cheap, I'd spend five times as much on that game.

Love this game! I'm really amazing bad at it xD I do perfectly fine up until The Womb, at which point I can't seem to beat. I've killed Mom several times but have never fully completed the game :( That aside though, I love the items and monsters and bosses.

Binding of Issac is one of my favorite games I've played in years. I have about 40 hours on it and I've only beat it 6 times now, but it never stops entertaining me. Just the roguelike feel it has keeps it very interesting, the dark humor it has is amazing and the bosses are all very challenging, but very beatable.

Love this game! I'm really amazing bad at it xD I do perfectly fine up until The Womb, at which point I can't seem to beat. I've killed Mom several times but have never fully completed the game :( That aside though, I love the items and monsters and bosses.

The Womb IS very difficult. after you beat The Womb, you can then enjoy beating it again nine more times, to unlock even MORE stuff.

Binding of Issac is one of my favorite games I've played in years. I have about 40 hours on it and I've only beat it 6 times now, but it never stops entertaining me. Just the roguelike feel it has keeps it very interesting, the dark humor it has is amazing and the bosses are all very challenging, but very beatable.

Wait until you do ten. Then you've got two different worlds, and tons more achievements and unlockables (providing you have Wrath of the Lamb. Without it, things will still be unlocked, but not nearly as much)

But I agree. The items, bosses and enemies in the game are amazingly designed. They're a cross between grotesque and cute, which is probably the most amazing combination ever.

The story itself too, while at first seeming very simplistic, is actually very deep and ambiguous, the true, true, TRUE ending is left up for your own interpretation.

100%-ed the game, including Wrath of the Lamb. It´s a good challenge and the high replay value is awesome, too. I like that they added a non chance-based method of obtaining THAT trinket, otherwise it would have taken me ages to beat the we-are-not-kidding-this-is-really-the-last-one final boss with every character.

• Brohoof 1

100%-ed the game, including Wrath of the Lamb. It´s a good challenge and the high replay value is awesome, too. I like that they added a non chance-based method of obtaining THAT trinket, otherwise it would have taken me ages to beat the we-are-not-kidding-this-is-really-the-last-one final boss with every character.

Indeed. But then again, if you get the tick, you're screwed XD

What did you think of the 'Srsly Fo Realz' ending?

Wait until you do ten. Then you've got two different worlds, and tons more achievements and unlockables (providing you have Wrath of the Lamb. Without it, things will still be unlocked, but not nearly as much)

I know I've been to the Sheol and beat it once. I have to admit, Satan scared the hell out of me just from the sheer difficulty of his boss fight; I ended up with only half a heart by the end of it.

• Brohoof 1

I know I've been to the Sheol and beat it once. I have to admit, Satan scared the hell out of me just from the sheer difficulty of his boss fight; I ended up with only half a heart by the end of it.

Ah, you managed to get down via a trapdoor? Noice.

Satan is pretty difficult. They updated his counterpart boss in Wrath of the Lamb, but I'm not sure which is harder. at first, the counterpart was a pushover. But now it seems to be much harder.

What did you think of the 'Srsly Fo Realz' ending?

It may be hard to understand, but I think it adds an awesome, deeper level of story to the game, as it allows the player to interpret it for him/her/itself.

That tick has caused so much rage...when they hadn´t implemented the way to obtain THE trinket yet, I found it for the second time by fortune-machine. While I went over to get it, I ran into the tick. It wouldn´t have taken much more to make me throw my PC out of the window...

Edited by Savato

That tick has caused so much rage...when they hadn´t implemented the way to obtain THE trinket yet, I found it for the second time by fortune-machine. While I went over to get it, I ran into the tick. It wouldn´t have taken much more to make me throw my PC out of the window...

Looooool

That's a shame. I luckily never actually had that happen to me yet.

It may be hard to understand, but I think it adds an awesome, deeper level of story to the game, as it allows the player to interpret it for him/her/itself.

I agree. I really liked it to be honest. It made me really question the whole game's story in general as well. I don't think Edmund could have came up with a better ending.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently received Golden God, and I've honestly loved this game.

My favorite combination: Nun's Habit and Book of Shadows. Do you know just how overpowered this is? It's like using The Polaroid as Blue Baby.

I love Binding, but I suck horribly at it. I've never even gotten past Caves 2. I mainly play as Eve, because I love dead bird so much. Just get hit once and then dodge while it kills everything for me. Makes most early bosses total pushovers :)

Anyway, I haven't bought Wrath of the Lamb yet, since the majority of what it adds is stuff I'd never be able to get to anyway :/

Oh man, I have enjoyed many, many hours in this game. Really one of the indie game greats. I've got most of the achievements, and I'm pretty good at the game. Heck, I even managed to beat the final-est boss with ???, though I admit that was mostly luck, since I found a combination of items that made me nearly invincible.

My only complaint about the game would probably be that sometimes, the deaths are absolutely cheap. Several times I've died due to a room with Masks of Anguish and the room laid out in a way I couldn't keep the masks from cornering me and killing me. But meh.

My favorite item would have to be the one that replaces your tears with missiles a la Doctor's Remote. Sure, you can be screwed over by room layouts, but it's still fun to use, and you no longer need bombs with it.

Yeah...Epic Fetus is pretty great...I recently killed the absolutely-very-final boss with a combination of:

Technology

Technology 2

Number One

Mom´s Contacts

The common Cold

In the end I had two rapid fire poisoning, petrifying lasers, killing almost everything before it could attack.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this up a bit, just felt like sharing that I just had the best run ever. You usually know it's going to be great when you get Polyphemus on the second floor (as well as vanilla floors only, none of those stupid spider ones from Wrath), but I hadn't expected getting Spectral Heart in an Angel Room on the very same floor - my tears were literally twice as big as Isaac himself. :P

Spoilers below since I guess it may be a bit spoilerish.

Completely dominated Mom and the Womb, killed Isaac in the Cathedral losing only half a heart... and then the Chest gave me a Mom's Knife. I killed ??? (Blue Baby) in literally two shots. Extreme success.

Edited by Shaoni