Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

*SPOILERS* The Black Book?

Bright Honor

From a tweet that Tara Strong put she actually said that Twilight will become an Alicorn. I suspect that if this is true then it'll only be temporary so that she can beat 'big baddy A' and then revert to regular Twilight.

Edit: I've been informed that the tweet was fake, so ignore that.

The black book is something I've been thinking on too but there isn't enough to go on really. I didn't get a good look at the cover but I'm thinking its definitely a prophecy of some kind. Perhaps not to become a ruler but some kind of gaurdian.

Its funny... But its almost as if Twilights' actions are "steps" in a path that Celestia is already expecting her to take. Each victory fills up another empty stained glass in the Canterlot throne room. Maybe its not related, but they just keep coming up whenever a villain is defeated or something major happens. Perhaps there is some significance to it other than them just being there for show...

I have to agree, there definitely seems to be some sort of foreshadowing there. Although not all the glass windows relate to Twilight, so perhaps thats just a way of keeping track of the history of Equestria.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 2

See that's what I was also thinking! like what is that book! what is going to happen! along with all the foreshadowing that Luna and Celestia where dropping before Twilight came in, it is the hook for me, Along with Twilight being able to use the Dark Magic for the door and such that kinda was like WOAH! It's going to get good!!!

I could be wrong, but I don't think Twilight was intentionally using dark magic. When her horn glowed a dark color, I think it was because of one of Sombra's mystic booby traps designed to keep her away from the crystal heart.

Assuming the black book is significant, which I imagine it should be (having a random book appear in the Princess's last screenshot at the climactic end of the episode wouldn't signify nothing at all, or at least I hope it wouldn't) all I can really say is have no idea. I know what I'd like to be though. Celestia giving Luna permission to teach Twilight more about the dark magic she saw and used herself, in the Crystal Empire :D My personal head canon thus far is that Luna, being the Princess of the Night, would be better accustomed to using and teaching darker magic than Celestia, who, though able to use it as shown in the premiere, wouldn't like using it much, I imagine. Plus, she'd want Luna to be the one to do this, given Luna's the one whose been neglected for so long.

Such an episode could include elements of this other episode idea I had, as well as have back story explaining this new head canon I have, when Luna explains some of her own history to Twilight, when twilight asks Luna how she learned and mastered dark magic <3

"You see Twilight Sparkle, after battling with the King of Shadows, before he was made the King of such by our sister and us, I became...curious of the dark, fierce magic he used. None but our sister know of this story I am about to tell, so treat it with great care..."

/waytooobbbsessedwiththedarkmagicthing

• Brohoof 3

Assuming the black book is significant, which I imagine it should be (having a random book appear in the Princess's last screenshot at the climactic end of the episode wouldn't signify nothing at all, or at least I hope it wouldn't) all I can really say is have no idea. I know what I'd like to be though. Celestia giving Luna permission to teach Twilight more about the dark magic she saw and used herself, in the Crystal Empire :D My personal head canon thus far is that Luna, being the Princess of the Night, would be better accustomed to using and teaching darker magic than Celestia, who, though able to use it as shown in the premiere, wouldn't like using it much, I imagine. Plus, she'd want Luna to be the one to do this, given Luna's the one whose been neglected for so long.

Such an episode could include elements of this other episode idea I had, as well as have back story explaining this new head canon I have, when Luna explains some of her own history to Twilight, when twilight asks Luna how she learned and mastered dark magic <3

"You see Twilight Sparkle, after battling with the King of Shadows, before he was made the King of such by our sister and us, I became...curious of the dark, fierce magic he used. None but our sister know of this story I am about to tell, so treat it with great care..."

/waytooobbbsessedwiththedarkmagicthing

:huh: Hmmm... I don't doubt your earlier theory about Luna using dark magic at some point, but I don't know if she'd end up actually teaching Twilight how to use dark magic at Celestia's behest. The same thought about Luna teaching Twilight to further her studies came to me after viewing the season premiere; I would love to see Twilight go on to study under Luna's tutelage, and I think that's definitely quite possible at this point, but for some reason I'm inclined to think that she wouldn't be teaching her how to use dark magic. The way I see it, I do believe that there are types of magic that Luna, being the Princess of the Night, is more skilled in than Celestia, but I envision it as revolving more around the night (magic of the night, if you will), than being dark magic, so to speak. I don't know how this magic would be different from Celestia's, and so there's definitely some credence to your "Luna teaching Twilight dark magic" theory, since dark magic is a clearly distinct type of magic, but again, I'm inclined to think that Luna, or Celestia for that matter, wouldn't teach Twilight dark magic as part of her studies. They certainly might teach her about it, but I don't think they'd teach her how to wield it, beyond that little trick that Celestia (inadvertently) taught Twilight (seriously, was I the only one who was more than a little concerned that not only did Twilight pick up that trick so quickly, but also, at least for all we know, didn't tell Celestia about wielding that magic? :unsure: Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Edited by Batbrony

:huh: Hmmm... I don't doubt your earlier theory about Luna using dark magic at some point, but I don't know if she'd end up actually teaching Twilight how to use dark magic at Celestia's behest. The same thought about Luna teaching Twilight to further her studies came to me after viewing the season premiere; I would love to see Twilight go on to study under Luna's tutelage, and I think that's definitely quite possible at this point, but for some reason I'm inclined to think that she wouldn't be teaching her how to use dark magic. The way I see it, I do believe that there are types of magic that Luna, being the Princess of the Night, is more skilled in than Celestia, but I envision it as revolving more around the night (magic of the night, if you will), than being dark magic, so to speak. I don't know how this magic would be different from Celestia's, and so there's definitely some credence to your "Luna teaching Twilight dark magic" theory, since dark magic is a clearly distinct type of magic, but again, I'm inclined to think that Luna, or Celestia for that matter, wouldn't teach Twilight dark magic as part of her studies. They certainly might teach her about it, but I don't think they'd teach her how to wield it, beyond that little trick that Celestia (inadvertently) taught Twilight (seriously, was I the only one who was more than a little concerned that not only did Twilight pick up that trick so quickly, but also, at least for all we know, didn't tell Celestia about wielding that magic? :unsure: Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

:P In order to learn more about magic as a whole, you need to learn about all kinds. Dark magic included. Celestia would know Twilight would be curious of dark magic after facing Sombra and using it herself, so in her mind, it'd be better to have her sister train Twilight the basics on how to use and control the magic, so that Twilight doesn't accidentally hurt herself or others down the line if she tried to do it herself, like in that one episode idea I had.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~

:P In order to learn more about magic as a whole, you need to learn about all kinds. Dark magic included. Celestia would know Twilight would be curious of dark magic after facing Sombra and using it herself, so in her mind, it'd be better to have her sister train Twilight the basics on how to use and control the magic, so that Twilight doesn't accidentally hurt herself or others down the line if she tried to do it herself, like in that one episode idea I had.

All right, I see what you're saying, and with that in mind, Twilight could most definitely learn how to use and control dark magic at some point down the road. Luna could potentially (and most likely will) teach her about it on her own, but another possibility is that both Celestia and Luna could teach Twilight how to wield it. I just don't know if Celestia, after the Nightmare Moon incident, would be willing to let Luna teach Twilight about it on her own, not because she thinks Luna would turn evil again, but because she didn't know (assuming she did use dark magic) how to control it the first time, and so might not be able to adequately teach Twilight how to keep it from getting out of control. The only thing I know at this point with the most certainty, and even this is still just speculation that is in no way guaranteed, is that Luna is most likely going to start playing a role in Twilight's studies, which should prove to be awesome! :wub:

My current running hypothesis about that book is that it's a book of prophecy. Let us examine it closely:

post-1234-0-05232300-1352789861.png

As you can see, it bears both stars and a swirl on it. As in, Starswirl the Bearded.

Starswirl was implied to be very much like Merlin, and he is also known, canonically, for being a time mage. It's perfectly conceivable that he wrote down prophecies about the Element of Magic, Twilight Sparkle. Considering there are not one but two stars on the book, it practically screams that idea to me.

While I still very much find the idea distasteful, the possibility that she might become an Alicorn at season's end is continuing to grow. We shall see what the rest of the season implies. I suspect we'll be seeing the book many times throughout the episodes, whenever we get a chance to see Celestia or Luna.

• Brohoof 4

Honestly, I sort of agree with CD's theory. The black book could be a collection of dark magic spells for Princess Luna to teach Twilight Sparkle later on. I imagine that Luna would probably be better at dark magic than Celestia, so she would be better suited for teaching dark magic.

• Brohoof 3

Honestly, I sort of agree with CD's theory. The black book could be a collection of dark magic spells for Princess Luna to teach Twilight Sparkle later on. I imagine that Luna would probably be better at dark magic than Celestia, so she would be better suited for teaching dark magic.

I completely agree! You have to master all types of magic...including the dark magic. But going on the Starswirl the Bearded (Starswirl actually used to be a cutesy strawberry gardener lol go fig.) theory...what if she is simply going to be the next court wizard? What did StarSwirl actually do? What if Twi is his replacement?

Twilight: Court wizard/mage(for her magic skills)

Pinkie Pie: Court jester (partying, laughter)

Applejack: Head of Civil Service ( Comes from a peasnt backround, businesswoman, honesty)

Rainbow Dash: Royal BodyGaurd (loyalty duh, brashness, boldness, burlyiness...b words....)

Rarity: Head of Intelligence( Knows simply everything that is happening, handles things too harmful for a regents ears. in tune with the fashion)

Fluttershy: Groundskeeper....cuz...she likes nature and shit and is just too damn cute for any serious role...and i ran out. She cant be a priest or chancelor...so....

Luna: Chancellor, damnit.

Cadence: Heir/magnate

Shining Armor: Captain of the Royal Gaurd/magnate

any other ideas? I have Priest left....

• Brohoof 1

It's evidently the Equestrian Death Note. Only Luna and Celestia could see the Shinigami that was floating behind them, cackling with glee.

More seriously speaking, Kyronea's hypothesis is one of the stronger ones I've seen. The book appears as if it is more associated with Luna than it is with Celestia, given the star motif on the cover. We can also factor in Luna's responses throughout the beginning of "The Crystal Empire, Part 1." Although such knowledge, whatever it may be, would not be necessarily exclusive to Luna, I suspect she holds an important role which Celestia cannot otherwise fulfill.

At this point, however, it is merely conjecture.

• Brohoof 1

Although such knowledge, whatever it may be, would not be necessarily exclusive to Luna, I suspect she holds an important role which Celestia cannot otherwise fulfill.

I've got a good hunch that we'll be seeing Star Swirl the Bearded in the later episodes, which have yet to be revealed. I also suspect that will be the episode where Discord returns, having indeed played a major role in Equestria's development to begin with. Heck, having read Kyronea's post, I can't help but feel that this is some sort of conspiracy theory on Celestia's part - did this prophecy of Star Swirl's make Luna even more resentful? Did she also hate the fact that this may happen about 1000 years later, that a future student of Celestia's would end up ruling, and not her? I doubt Celestia had intentions like that to begin with, but things like prophetic proclamations - especially in environments such as olden Equestria - would set off any of the rulers and make even more vengeful. Sadly, this ruler happened to be Luna.

My current running hypothesis about that book is that it's a book of prophecy. Let us examine it closely:

post-1234-0-05232300-1352789861.png

As you can see, it bears both stars and a swirl on it. As in, Starswirl the Bearded.

Have you noticed that Star Swirl the Bearded has been in history even before the founding of Equestria? Look up Hearth's Warming Eve to see what I mean - this guy already seems to have a huge connection with the royal sisters and could have even thought up the idea of the Elements of Harmony himself! It, of course, built upon the realization that all the tribes needed to work together in order to live in peace. That might have been why Discord easily conquered the place to begin with, and Star Swirl's historic idea ended up symbolizing what Equestria stands for. This, of course, gives Twilight not only connection to her Element, but also Star Swirl.

• Brohoof 3

I might be over thinking it, but it almost looked like Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark on the front of the book. If that's true, then what could this mean? Maybe Twilight is part of some kind of prophecy? :blink: So many questions!!

Aren't all of them part of a prophecy? elements of harmony?

It does seem to look like Twilight's cutie mark on the cover. In one of the season 3 commercials it says something about a pony finding her true destiny. It cuts to Twilight so of course it's her.

See, I'm wondering if Celestia and Luna were talking about Twilight being ready to use dark magic in order to protect the kingdom, and so the look Luna gives to Twilight is simply because she is not sure she'll be able to handle that kind of magic.

This interpretation would also help to explain the black book, since it could contain content relating the dark magic, this interpretation would also help to explain the next level of her training since it may be something along the lines of forbidden magic which she is not to use under any circumstance, and a whole episode could revolve around her using dark magic to protect a kingdom..

Also a further thought I had was If the test was to see of she was willing to break the rules for the greater good and a episode based around her using dark magic to protect something could be what Celestia and Luna were preparing her for.

This might be foreshadowing her growing EXTREMELY powerful in magic. She could be the descendant of Starswirl the bearded. Also foreshadowed a long ways back in "Luna Eclipsed" when she dressed as him for nightmare night. It probably is his journal telling about his journeys, and him unlocking the ultimate evil upon Equestria that hadn't disappeared. He silenced it for a while, and it still lurks among Equestria.

But it could be me over-thinking things :P

• Brohoof 1

What if....nature is actually imbalanced, the sun and moon are supposed to function as the would here in reality, and the fact that Luna and Celestia have to raise them are actually a curse they want Twilight to remedy!?! I held my breath while typing that.

Edited by SkyeRibbonPony
  • Brohoof 1

I think that its a book of dark magic that twilight is going to be taught since she passed the test that Celestia had prepared for her to find the crystal heart.

thats just the theory I believe though. It seems like dark magic has to come back sometime and make some appearances. I assume the book has to do with that.

I don't really want Twilight to become an Alicorn, and I actually dunno if shes actually going to become one or not. I guess we'll see sometime.

I'm thinking maybe that she'll go into a second stage of training, once knowing everything Celestia can teach her, Luna will become her new mentor. Or perhaps not.

But it would be great to have some more Luna. :P