Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just a simple picture about Fluttershy. Nothing more.

First time I draw her and her cutie mark AND a pegasus.

Decided to draw this on GIMP and here's the result.

*takes a deep breath* ... ... yay...

MLP: FiM © Lauren Faust

Posted Image

Edited by Koori
  • Brohoof 19

Proportions are mostly spot on... almost too good.

Thought about drawing something more exciting than standing around in profile view though?

... I don't know. I have many good ideas in my mind, but the problem is my skill. I'm still just a novice when it comes to drawing. Furthermore, I'm definitively a novice when it comes to drawing ponies. I've been mostly drawing Powerpuff Girls and Rowdyruff Boys so this is still new and after seeing all kinds of poses in the show... I doubt I'll ever be able to draw anything more complex than the basic poses even if I would practice.

... I don't know. I have many good ideas in my mind, but the problem is my skill. I'm still just a novice when it comes to drawing. Furthermore, I'm definitively a novice when it comes to drawing ponies. I've been mostly drawing Powerpuff Girls and Rowdyruff Boys so this is still new and after seeing all kinds of poses in the show... I doubt I'll ever be able to draw anything more complex than the basic poses even if I would practice.

If you're a novice then how did you draw this? Any referencing? Tracing? Grid method? .... ... ... plagiarizing?

Here I am scoffing at pretty much any pony drawing tutorial out there for not being as show accurate as it can....

• Brohoof 1

I dunno guys, this looks a lot like a generic box vector that Hasbro uses, as evident by the pointy nose.

*some research*

Oh, look.

Posted Image

That was found on GorillaDuckPig.com, on June 21st.

I saw the same picture on another site in February.

TL;DR,

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSTEqHxh3fI

Edited by SonOfTheNorthe

If you're a novice then how did you draw this? Any referencing? Tracing? Grid method? .... ... ... plagiarizing?

Here I am scoffing at pretty much any pony drawing tutorial out there for not being as show accurate as it can....

I dunno guys, this looks a lot like a generic box vector that Hasbro uses, as evident by the pointy nose.

*some research*

Oh, look.

Posted Image

That was found on GorillaDuckPig.com, on June 21st.

I saw the same picture on another site in February.

*sighs* I knew it would come to this since the picture is TOO good. Too same compared to the show. Of course this pose is shown everywhere since it's the very basic one of Fluttershy, so I have no way of proving that I drew mine since I don't have any sketches of it. There's nothing I can say really so if you all think that I snatched the drawing from somewhere or that it's the very original, you're welcome to delete this thread in which case, I'll delete the picture from every single art site and other forums that I put this in to avoid this kind of confrontation.

If you must know, I used vectorized tracing and followed a certain tutorial video in YouTube. In other words this was only practice. Why?? Because I CAN'T DRAW WITHOUT SOME KIND OF REFERENCE AND ALL OF MY SKETCHES COME OUT ALL SHAKY AND OFF PROPORTIONED EVEN WITH CONSTRUCTION LINES ESPECIALLY IF I DRAW FROM SCRATCH. There... now you know.

And you know what's the saddest thing about this? It's the fact that my version is a FAILURE! If you compare the picture SonOfTheNorthe put up to my drawing, you'll notice a lot of small details all wrong, like the outline on the belly and most of the hair- and tail lines.

... But like I said, I can't really defend myself so I can't do anything about it. ... God I'm tired of this.

*sighs* I knew it would come to this since the picture is TOO good. Too same compared to the show. Of course this pose is shown everywhere since it's the very basic one of Fluttershy, so I have no way of proving that I drew mine since I don't have any sketches of it. There's nothing I can say really so if you all think that I snatched the drawing from somewhere or that it's the very original, you're welcome to delete this thread in which case, I'll delete the picture from every single art site and other forums that I put this in to avoid this kind of confrontation.

If you must know, I used vectorized tracing and followed a certain tutorial video in YouTube. In other words this was only practice. Why?? Because I CAN'T DRAW WITHOUT SOME KIND OF REFERENCE AND ALL OF MY SKETCHES COME OUT ALL SHAKY AND OFF PROPORTIONED EVEN WITH CONSTRUCTION LINES ESPECIALLY IF I DRAW FROM SCRATCH. There... now you know.

And you know what's the saddest thing about this? It's the fact that my version is a FAILURE! If you compare the picture SonOfTheNorthe put up to my drawing, you'll notice a lot of small details all wrong, like the outline on the belly and most of the hair- and tail lines.

... But like I said, I can't really defend myself so I can't do anything about it. ... God I'm tired of this.

hey dude its fine. Don't worry it is an amazing drawing. You want to see a failure? Ask me to draw fluttershy... That might make your eyes bleed actually :P.

Nobody is born a professional anyways! just keep working at it. It takes lots of practice to become better at anything. And practice makes perfect. I personally love it :D Its so cute. And I don't notice any flaws with it. I think your being hard on yourself. Just keep doing what your doing as long as you love it.

Also never say never. With enough practice I'm sure you can do this type of thing without a reference. Just practice practice practice :D Your well on your way!

Wonderful job :) Don't get discouraged because its not perfect. Especially if your not use to this type of thing.

Well, sir, why didn't you just say so? If you would have said that this was made as a vector from an existing image, this whole thing would have been avoided. But the way you worded your first post, it sounded like you made that from scratch.

(But why'd you make a vector of a vector? Seems redundant.)

Also, that's quite good. I can't tell the difference between the two, except for some very minor color changes.

Edited by SonOfTheNorthe

Well, sir, why didn't you just say so? If you would have said that this was made as a vector from an existing image, this whole thing would have been avoided. But the way you worded your first post, it sounded like you made that from scratch.

(But why'd you make a vector of a vector? Seems redundant.)

Also, that's quite good. I can't tell the difference between the two, except for some very minor color changes.

I don't know... I really don't. I guess I was misleading in my post, but that was because I thought it was obvious that every newbie artist that starts drawing MLP would draw the basic poses first to practice before moving to any complicated ones... if that ever would happen. As for the colors... I used Gaussian Blur effect so that might be the reason why the colors might look a bit different.

And, in my opinion, a drawing is a drawing no matter how basic it is or how many others are there that are pretty much the same, if not completely similar, drawn by others including the original source. ... And yet even with that in mind, I was still afraid this would happen.

The Fluttershy picture I used... well I Googled Fluttershy and searched a good picture and I DID make sure I didn't take another artist's picture. Also, if you're interested to know what tutorial video I used, it was this:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hIgWpj2LI4&list=LLTzCGli5ypcSdi2EIwdJOTg&feature=mh_lolz

Edited by Koori

Oh wow......that looks EXACTLY like the Habro official picture!! YOu did a great job in copying the pic. It's so perfected....too bad you can't draw more stuff like that! But I understand how hard it is to draw other poses. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon! But this alone looks very accurate...and well drawn. :D For practice, this is very very very good. I agree, sometimes I use references to draw.

Also, I would love to see some of your Powerpuff Girl/Rowdyruff boy art. I used to LOVE watching the Powerpuff girls as a kid (Heck, I still do now) and I thought it'd be interesting to see your work! If that's ok with you, of course.

All in all, great job! It doesn't look bad at all.....you accurately drew the picture, and I hope to see you draw some more! ;)

• Brohoof 1

There's nothing wrong with drawing with a reference- everyone does it, at least from time to time, i know i do :ph34r: In fact, its probably one of, if not, the best way to learn. You'll have memorized and learned the basic proportions, and taken bits of the original artists' style. All this leading into your development as an artist, and in getting your own style down. There's just one cost, and that's (you guessed it) practice.

But who am I to rant on about this, i literally only have one picture posted on my DA, too shy to show my own progress :(

All that aside, this was very well vectorized :)

There's nothing wrong with drawing with a reference- everyone does it, at least from time to time, i know i do :ph34r: In fact, its probably one of, if not, the best way to learn. You'll have memorized and learned the basic proportions, and taken bits of the original artists' style. All this leading into your development as an artist, and in getting your own style down. There's just one cost, and that's (you guessed it) practice.

But who am I to rant on about this, i literally only have one picture posted on my DA, too shy to show my own progress :(

All that aside, this was very well vectorized :)

This is pretty much how you're supposed to learn. You look at a reference and pay attention to the little details so you learn how to draw from memory more accurately.

• Brohoof 1