gaming Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Tom

76 users have voted

1. 1. Have you got this game?

• Yes
    • No

I return to this thread :P

The game itself is not hyper-scary - nerve-racking than anything else, and the event triggers are more startling than scary. However, the intensity and the solitude the atmosphere gives off puts you at the heart of terror. The setting is creepy, but after seeing many haunted houses on TV and reading creepypasta about creepy structures, you get used to it... I also got used to the dark, because well, I like the dark (at least now). The only thing that was remotely scary was the random encounters with the Amnesia monsters that popped up and I had to run from them - now that is intense.

I hated those encounters :ph34r:. The Prison had a lot of them, mostly because of how tight the corridors were (Especially that one grunt on the top of the stairs).

Funny how in one level (Sewers), I messed up a relatively easy part twice :P. There's this brute at the very end which needs to be distracted. I was wondering what the hell to do and I end up throwing a rock out of the way. I picked up some Laudanum, and when I turn around, the brute is right there :o. When I respawn, I managed to fuck it up again. I tried throwing a rock, but when I picked it up, I accidently banged it against some pipes. The brute heard all the ruckus and AGAIN, came around the corner. I was it coming and I was like "Fuuuuuuck". I just sat there, frozen in fear :P, and I let it kill me.

Gotta remember about the Storage. That level was creepy as hell. For a level relatively early in the game, the darkness was probably the worst of them all. The Prison was at the same level of darkness, but considering how, spacious, the Storage felt, it was more creepy. You could say it was......Advanced darkness! Just see for yourself

I also shouldn't forget about that one door in the Storage. That ONE door where the grunt was hiding. I knew it was in there, but for the hell of it, I said "Alright, I'm gonna open it, then run the fuck away!". I ran all the way to the beginning in fear the it might've saw me :P.

Edited by akimBrony

spasticShotty-1753.png

Time for another story (Sorta). When I tried to do the Choir (This level scared the fuck out of me), and a brute would spawn, I, of course, would hide behind a pillar. Almost ALWAYS the brute would walk towards the pillar and literally scan it for me, even if they didn't see me. I had to maneuvor around the pillars very carefully so that it wouldn't see me :unsure:. God, I hated those brutes. I even had mah little brother with me and we were both surprised at how attentive and careful these brutes searched their pillars :(

Edited by akimBrony
  • Brohoof 1

spasticShotty-1753.png

This game. Oh God yes.

The atmosphere, and the scares, and the fear. Mother of God, this game is golden.

But, actually, I really enjoyed the story too. All in all, this game is just a gem.

(Prison was the scariest part for me)

Edited by NastyMann
  • Brohoof 1

I think Amnesia is extremely creepy. I wish people who made custom stories for it would try and make it more like the main story rather than the stupid jumpscare-around-every-corner thing most do.

• Brohoof 1

I frequently edit my new posts to fix grammatical errors or to reword stuff, so sorry if I make it look like I'm forging my messages to change the meaning of anyone's replies or something.

Reading the blog below kills more brain cells per minute than smoking:

I really enjoyed playing through Amnesia and its similar predecessors, the Penumbra series. There were some tense moments in them, especially in Amnesia, but I was actually a bit disappointed at the end. The game could've been a bit scarier, and the story could have wrapped up in a much more interesting way.

The DLC, Amnesia: Justine was pretty much the same, with one really good chase scene.

Dancing_men.png

ELSIE PREPARE TO MEET THY GOD

It's one of those games that are not scary to watch, but very scary to play.

I played it once in my friend's house, but I don't own it myself. But I noticed that the game gives the player that feeling of not having a weapon, and that monsters can pop out anywhere unexpectedly. Not to mention the atmosphere, the sounds and the story all add up to this terrifying feeling as well

+EDIT+

My opinion is: It's not a game about jumpscares. It's a pure, clean horror game that haunts you to your sleep. 10/10

Edited by DrizzleSTAR
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny when people say it's really scary when it's not, I think it's that the paranoia scares you and not the game. e u e

That's what makes the game scary, indirectly. It doesn't just throw monsters and violence in your face, it makes your brain work a lot through music, noises, flashbacks, and those narrative excerpts that appear while it's loading an area.

Almost ALWAYS the brute would walk towards the pillar and literally scan it for me, even if they didn't see me. I had to maneuvor around the pillars very carefully so that it wouldn't see me :unsure:. God, I hated those brutes. I even had mah little brother with me and we were both surprised at how attentive and careful these brutes searched their pillars :(

Maybe your breathing sounds louder in the silence, so they hear it and go into searching mode?

I think Amnesia is extremely creepy. I wish people who made custom stories for it would try and make it more like the main story rather than the stupid jumpscare-around-every-corner thing most do.

Pretty sure a few people tried to be creative in their stories, I remember one where they tried to make something complex (though the grammar was slightly off). I forgot their titles, unfortunately.

Now you can enjoy a close-up of the grunt without making doodoo :lol:

Dat face (and ass). If only I tried to do this kind of stuff

<333

I think I've seen other videos of people glitching the monsters like that (search "Monster+barrel=dancing"), or taunting it from behind an obstacle (such as the Brute after you get past the spinning water... mill... thing...). But it'd still drain sanity to look at them, not like in the vid you posted.

Edited by Feather Spiral

I take writing commissions.

"Nerds build the world, artists decorate it, warriors protect it, leaders talk everyone into doing their jobs." -me, 3 Nov 2017

"That's not a pie, that's a pastry with an identity crisis!" ~Jeric

I think only half of the game's scare-factor comes from the atmosphere itself. The other half would have to be working through such an immersive game with a brand new identity and loads of confusion around it. If you're deep enough into the game, that confusion definitely puts a spin on the way you think while you're dealing with more (physically) deadly stuff. Basically, you start the game with the vaguest idea of who you are, and before you've even got a chance to piece things together, guess what? You're under attack!

*Welcome to Brennenburg Castle. It's currently collapsing, and weird flesh is appearing out of nowhere specifically to stop you from getting around.

*Your name is Daniel. That's the most solid information you're gonna get out of us for a while.

*Remember this guy named Alexander? No? Too bad. Kill him.

*Oh, by the way, here's some Gatherers and invisible Water Monsters. Have fun with that.

• Brohoof 1

I've got an idea! No..... No, wait; it's just a concussion....