Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I need Inkscape help

Arcus (Silver Lining) Wind

Now that you mention it, I would like to know how to do that as well. I'm going to take a look at the Inkscape tutorials to see if I can find something, but if someone has the answer please share it with us.

Well, sometimes I fake the effect by duplicating a line, deleting all but the part of the duplicate I want to thicken, then sliding it a nudge in some direction.  But that's not quite as effective.

I've used InkScape for months now, I'm surprised I haven't figured it out yet.

Edited by Descant

i'd be interested in this as well, if it's possible.  i've played around with inkscape for a few hours, and this was one thing that really leaped out at me.

I don't know how to vary the width of my strokes or paths. How do you make them thinner or wider at the point where you want. What I mean is I want to do something like this.

Posted ImagePower-stroke-1.png

I'm going to post here, because I'm not sure how to do this either. And I want to see if somepony else explains how to do it. Okey dokey?

Now that you mention it, I would like to know how to do that as well. I'm going to take a look at the Inkscape tutorials to see if I can find something, but if someone has the answer please share it with us.

i'd be interested in this as well, if it's possible.  i've played around with inkscape for a few hours, and this was one thing that really leaped out at me.

Well I am quite good when it comes to vectoring and I have teached a bunch of people how to do it. So if any of you guys want a teacher (haha) Im up for it. Anyways, to do this:

First put down your curve.

Posted Image

Now press Ctrl + Alt + C

Posted Image

(Notice the difference)

Delete unwanted notes in the corners or wherever you want them. You can doubleclick anywhere if you wish to add new nodes.

Posted Image

Fix the curves

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can do the same thing to edit the shape of edges or other shapes.

@@PonyEcho, oh dear gimme a break Posted Image

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 5

Well I am quite good when it comes to vectoring and I have teached a bunch of people how to do it. So if any of you guys want a teacher (haha) Im up for it. Anyways, to do this:

First put down your curve.

Posted Image

Now press Ctrl + Alt + C

Posted Image

(Notice the difference)

Delete unwanted notes in the corners or wherever you want them. You can doubleclick anywhere if you wish to add new nodes.

Posted Image

Fix the curves

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can do the same thing to edit the shape of edges or other shapes.

@@PonyEcho, oh dear gimme a break Posted Image

That is awesome! Thank you so much. Now I have just one more tincy wincy little problem. How do I switch back so I can move the curve?

• Brohoof 1

@,

If you just want to move the curve you press S or F1 and then select the curve. If you mean you want to adjust the curve, it's impossible. You will have to change the whole thing by adjusting the node's positions and the curves between them while they are converted to editables.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

So after I tried it I noticed that Crt+Alt+C basically just changes the stroke into a shape of its own, with a fill and no stroke, so you can get the same result if you just make a shape, delete the stroke and adjust the curves so the fill give you the right shape...I had though of that but converting a stroke like this is faster and more practical after you've already traced all your lines. 

Thanks Jokuc!

@,

If you just want to move the curve you press S or F1 and then select the curve. If you mean you want to adjust the curve, it's impossible. You will have to change the whole thing by adjusting the node's positions and the curves between them while they are converted to editables.

OK. I've run into another problem. When I use the technique I lose my fill color. How can I make the lines thinner where I want to without losing  my fill?

OK. I've run into another problem. When I use the technique I lose my fill color. How can I make the lines thinner where I want to without losing my fill?

You can't. When you convert the lines, they become fill.

That's why you make the fill color and the outlines in different layers.

You can't. When you convert the lines, they become fill.

That's why you make the fill color and the outlines in different layers.

I think I tried that but I guess not. How do you make them separate? When I tried to make my out line and then do the fill in another layer, it made a new outline around the fill.

I think I tried that but I guess not. How do you make them separate? When I tried to make my out line and then do the fill in another layer, it made a new outline around the fill.

Okay I will create a quick little tutorial about this. It's not hard at all really. It's actually very simple. I guess I can include some useful shortcuts too. Hold on a few mins and I'll have it..

This was very helpful, thank you for the assistance! :) I'd already known how to do this before, although the keyboard function is incredibly useful (wonder why I didn't know that before, the two go hand in hand lol).

@@Descant, @, @@Naphthol,

First create a layer. Then put down your curves.

4EC02.png

Now press the fill tab and then fill. Now pick the color you want. Or before pressing the fill button, press D or F7 for the color picker and pick the color on the reference you want and it will fill automaticly. (Shortcuts for the layer and fill & stroke windows are Shift+Ctrl+L and Shift+Ctrl+F.)

3otb7.png

Now go to Line and press the X to remove the outlines.

t60Jb.png

Now create a new layer for the outlines and also change the transparency of the fill layer to about 50%

(Ignore that it says "background outline" it's supposed to say "body outline")

JXTyv.png

Now select the outline layer and make the outline. After that you pick Line and then pick a color.

eWEZM.png

Now go to Fill and then press the X to remove the filling of the outline.

Then be sure all transparencys are restored.

DyLCT.png

KDQm.png

Now you can move your curves and change them however you want without messing the filling up.

jwJbR.png

But be sure to always lock the layers you're not working with. Ex if you're adjusting the outlines be sure to keep the filling locked.

Edited by Jokuc

@@Descant, @, @@Naphthol,

First create a layer. Then put down your curves.

4EC02.png

Now press the fill tab and then fill. Now pick the color you want. Or before pressing the fill button, press D or F7 for the color picker and pick the color on the reference you want and it will fill automaticly. (Shortcuts for the layer and fill & stroke windows are Shift+Ctrl+L and Shift+Ctrl+F.)

3otb7.png

Now go to Line and press the X to remove the outlines.

t60Jb.png

Now create a new layer for the outlines and also change the transparency of the fill layer to about 50%

(Ignore that it says "background outline" it's supposed to say "body outline")

JXTyv.png

Now select the outline layer and make the outline. After that you pick Line and then pick a color.

eWEZM.png

Now go to Fill and then press the X to remove the filling of the outline.

Then be sure all transparencys are restored.

DyLCT.png

KDQm.png

Now you can move your curves and change them however you want without messing the filling up.

jwJbR.png

But be sure to always lock the layers you're not working with. Ex if you're adjusting the outlines be sure to keep the filling locked.

Thank you! This will help me so much. I don't know why I couldn't figure it out for myself. I'm use to using layers in this way so...*Facehoove.