Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Magic Duel was supposed to be Season 2

Arcanel

If you have heard rumors about this, then think no more. This comes from current head writer of FIM, Meghan McCarthy.

1.JPG

Think about this. January 27, 2011........................

AND SUDDENLY MINDS WERE BLOWN! :o And I would have to agree. This throws a WHOLE another thing to Magic Duel, which is why I didn't post this in the Episode Discussion.

For first, we can already rule out that this was NOT a fanservice episode or whatever, as it was only a few months after the show even aired.

Then, many complained about Fluttershy's attitude. This might as well come to explain how she still acted for some too shy yet. (Although I didn't find it wrong IMO).

And the last thing I can think of right is of Twilight's magic not showed THAT strong after the recent episodes on Season 3. (Although once again, I didn't find it wrong as I had already stated that I thought iut was a manner of very careful precision, and it might have been for the delegates of Saddle Arabia).

So now I throw two questions and a fact:

1. What else do you think this would affect some of the main points of the episode?

2. With this in knowledge, would Magic Duel would have been better for Season 2 or Season 3?

Fact: Each My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic episode takes it sweet time in getting completed, and maybe even aired.

Personally, I have to admit that with this knowledge, this episode in Season 2 might have fit slightly better. However, I believe the writers tried their best to put this episode on S3 and don't have the continuity completely jumbled, as Alfonzo said on another thread.

What do you think?

Edited by Arcanel
  • Brohoof 6

I didn't even think about those things, and now that I read it I am amazed at this.  I think it fits fine in season 3.  This explains why Twilight was working on such an easy looking spell.  

1: I'm not sure this changes much honestly. They could still reintroduce the amulet later this season

2: I think the episode is fine where it is, in season 3

This does explain a few things though, like Twilight seeming a bit underpowered as you said. It also explains how this episode seemed to have a million references to past episodes, but they all seemed to be season 1 episodes.

• Brohoof 3

I've never really considered the events of each episode to take place in the exact order they're shown anyway, so this hasn't really changed anything from my perspective. But, like many have noted, Twilight's lack of spell power is better explained now.

I think it's more that the concept of the episode was originally thought up as a possibility for a Season 2 episode, but was later cut. They probably had a brief synopsis at that time, so Fluttershy's behavior at the beginning and other details probably weren't added until they began work on Season 3.

I think it's more that the concept of the episode was originally thought up as a possibility for a Season 2 episode, but was later cut. They probably had a brief synopsis at that time, so Fluttershy's behavior at the beginning and other details probably weren't added until they began work on Season 3.

I have something similar in mind, but the problem is, Meghan doesn't really tell what exactly is "submitted" in regards to Magic Duel. After all, something like the "click and trash" of Trixie with Pinkie's mouth might as well be something M. A. Larson added afterwards.

The only prominent difference between seasons is the 1st and 2nd episode, so if Magic Duel happened before Sombra get eviscerated, there will no connections between Trixie and Sombra's broken horn and likeliness.

Imo the episode more suitable for Season 3, it gives Trixie an alibi that she worked her bones dry on the rock farm for a looooong time before she enacted her petty revenge

• Brohoof 1

Imo the episode more suitable for Season 3, it gives Trixie an alibi that she worked her bones dry on the rock farm for a looooong time before she enacted her petty revenge

I had not thought of this until you said it. I bow to you my Trixie fan on this case. I bow to you. *bows*

Still,  You're completely right! We don't really know how long Trixie worked at the rock farm, but the more she worked, the more plausible it seems she gathered money to buy the alicorn amulet, the more hatred and revenge feelings against Twilight would be had, and the more time she had to spend time planning things! :wacko:

I was actually reading an old interview EQD had with Lauren Faust, and she mentioned that the production of a single episode takes close to a year to complete. (They obviously work on several episodes at once.) It's therefore not terribly surprising that if the concept was accepted sometime in January of 2011, we probably wouldn't see it come to fruition until following year.

That having been said, who knows how much of the plot was altered and developed at any given time? This revelation does seem to temper claims that "Magical Duel" was done for the sole purpose of fan gratification.

Actually, since the submission date was Janurary (I kept reading "July"), the fan service claim is really pushed back on its heels. Unless they totally anticipated the fandom's response to Trixie, I would have to say "Magical Duel" and Trixie's popularity converging was simply serendipitous.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, since the submission date was Janurary (I kept reading "July"), the fan service claim is really pushed back on its heels. Unless they totally anticipated the fandom's response to Trixie, I would have to say "Magical Duel" and Trixie's popularity converging was simply serendipitous.

Exactly what I said on my post. All the fanservice claims pretty much get null and void, simply, because that all of them are based on Trixie's return being for the bronies. Being that the concept was done barely 3 months after the show aired, the writers had CLEARLY programmed Trixie for a return. It just got delayed.

Like I said before though, we don't know how much does a concept have in story plot material. I could stretch it a little and say that, like I said, the "click and trash" trick of Trixie was probably added by Larson later during the time the concept got submitted and now, but I don't really know. Maybe lots of the references we saw were added later, as they saw that the "all ages" appeal had expanded by then.

• Brohoof 1

We don't really know how long Trixie worked at the rock farm,

Long enough to be very bitter about it, but not long enough to know that Pinkie Pie is her employer's daughter (or else she would at least show a tinge of respect to Pinkie before silencing her)

But then again, this show doesn't really have a clear timeline. For each episodes there might be a day gap or months between them.

Long enough to be very bitter about it, but not long enough to know that Pinkie Pie is her employer's daughter (or else she would at least show a tinge of respect to Pinkie before silencing her)

But then again, this show doesn't really have a clear timeline. For each episodes there might be a day gap or months between them.

Aye. Although I don't think she would have shown respect to Pinkie, long time or not. She definitely seemed to have abhored working at the farm as we could see on the flashback, and even then she was already starting to get corrupted by the Alicorn Amulet.

• Brohoof 1

Well, that is certainly an interesting development! I still feel that the episode fit well into season 3's loose continuity well though, since it had to do with Twilight learning new magic as the past few episodes have shown, and Fluttershy seems to struggle a bit yet with her assertiveness anyway. As you guys already said, this certainly should alleviate any fan service concerns, although those were personally alleviated for me when I saw the episode. Still, good to know they made it work out. :)

If this is true it would make sense I guess, to be honest though I always get confused and find it weird when episodes in a Season don't follow each other in a way of time that makes sense..

Like I feel like S1 Should all occur in the same time section, and S2 in its own time section, S3 its own. Ect.

Thats just me, but that does explain things. Thanks for this interesting information! :D

Like I said before though, we don't know how much does a concept have in story plot material. I could stretch it a little and say that, like I said, the "click and trash" trick of Trixie was probably added by Larson later during the time the concept got submitted and now, but I don't really know. Maybe lots of the references we saw were added later, as they saw that the "all ages" appeal had expanded by then.

Some of the gags had to have been more recent designs, given that only an older audience would have really appreciated the "click and trash" spell you highlighted. Other references---e.g., the rock farm, Star Wars, and even Alicorns---could have fit within the context of MLP Season 1.

Some of the gags had to have been more recent designs, given that only an older audience would have really appreciated the "click and trash" spell you highlighted. Other references---e.g., the rock farm, Star Wars, and even Alicorns---could have fit within the context of MLP Season 1.

I think that the references that were probably added later were:

The Wilhelm scream.

The "The Simpsons: The Movie" dome gag.

The Star Wars feel with Zecora (I can't say I recognized them, because I barely remember Star Wars and I only watched 3 movies. :P  ).

The "click and trash" trick.

After that, all the references added that referenced Season 1 make me thing that for some reason, if this was for Season 2, it could have been a good chapter pre-"A Canterlot Wedding".

The thing I'd like to know is if they knew of the word "alicorn", as it an actual word not invented by us bronies. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

The thing I'd like to know is if they knew of the word "alicorn", as it an actual word not invented by us bronies. :huh:

I'm pretty sure the term was coined by Lauren Faust herself at some point, though I might be conflating it with another staff member. Suffice it to say that I believe it emerged from the studio first before it caught on with the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure the term was coined by Lauren Faust herself at some point, though I might be conflating it with another staff member. Suffice it to say that I believe it emerged from the studio first before it caught on with the fandom.

I thought it was an old German word for the substance that makes up a unicorn's horn. Either way, if it is adapted from a fan term I'll bet after the Derpy fiasco that they look up meanings and connotations for any fan element they incorporate into the show.

Things worked out just fine for me the way they are. I don't feel it would have been any better in season 2. In fact, it's better as it is now, being slightly darker as it is made the episode very good, along with the other darkish episode this season thus far.

Makes me wonder when Discord will reappear like what's been 'all but confirmed'. Probably at in the finale at this point, I imagine. If it takes them so long to make episodes, then that lag would put him at the end of three or the start of four.

As a side note, this is probably a factor in why the show decided to cut down to thirteen episodes per season ;) Cut down on work and deadline stress.

• Brohoof 1