Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My attempt at drawing Twilight...

Zygen

Actually, the proportions he has are practically perfect (Mary Poppins anyone). He just adds a bit of style to it, particularly slenderness. That said, when I draw I just skip the skeleton part completely and freehand the whole thing. It takes a bit more trial-and-error, but in the end it works for better hand-coloring (especially with my crappy erasers :P)

Anyways, back to the OT.

I personally find MS Paint to be a lot easier to use for just making ponies. That ease probably stems from my younger days when all I did on the computer was make stuff in Paint, but that curvy line tool is THE most useful tool of them all. So far all I've used GIMP for is adding color to my drawings. Otherwise, I'd go with what thegoodhen said, it looks like you replicated perfectly than warped it comically :P

Well I drew in MS paint alot actually when i was young to(That was literally the only thing I used on the computer :P.)

But I've gotten alot more use to using GIMP now, to the point where Idk if I could live without having things like layers on GIMP. Still I can understand :).

And I think its far from being replicated perfectly, the head is quite frusterating though, it seems extreamly difficult for me to get it round enough, without making it out of proportion or just.. Weird.

Also apparently either I'm just rushing to much or I suck at drawing circles. Just seems like I can't do it right. Maybe its just the fact I'm using a mouse and all, who knows.

Anyways thanks :).

So, by his choice of being stylistic, he has foregone correct proportions. Style is one thing, correct anatomy is another. My comment stands.

*Goes to your profile page*

*Reads "and I try really hard to make myself sound smart and you sound inferior. Pretty much it."*

Ah, I see now. But this is art. There are no "correct proportions" in art, and the goal of this whole endeavor was just to draw a Twilight, not to replicate a picture perfectly. If you add style, all that does is add in your own uniqueness to a picture, which is good. Proportions should be based on how the drawing itself looks rather than the reference you used. 

Wellp, there's my two cents on appreciating art :P

Well I drew in MS paint alot actually when i was young to(That was literally the only thing I used on the computer :P.)

But I've gotten alot more use to using GIMP now, to the point where Idk if I could live without having things like layers on GIMP. Still I can understand :).

And I think its far from being replicated perfectly, the head is quite frusterating though, it seems extreamly difficult for me to get it round enough, without making it out of proportion or just.. Weird.

Also apparently either I'm just rushing to much or I suck at drawing circles. Just seems like I can't do it right. Maybe its just the fact I'm using a mouse and all, who knows.

Anyways thanks :).

Hmm. What if you were to make the skeleton in Paint, then drew on top of that skeleton in GIMP? Would help you a TON with making stuff. Although I'm pretty sure there's a circle tool in GIMP too, but Iunno, I hardly use it :S

*Reads "and I try really hard to make myself sound smart and you sound inferior. Pretty much it."*

Ah, I see now. But this is art. There are no "correct proportions" in art, and the goal of this whole endeavor was just to draw a Twilight, not to replicate a picture perfectly. If you add style, all that does is add in your own uniqueness to a picture, which is good. Proportions should be based on how the drawing itself looks rather than the reference you used. 

So, let's all draw dudes with 10 foot tall necks and 3 foot tall bodies, and call it "our style." While we're at it, let's argue that it's still anatomically correct.

The point is not whether style plays in at all, it's a matter in this case of whether or not the proportions are correct. Either you have them right, or you don't. You don't skip around the hard truth. You either accept what you did incorrectly and improve, or end up drawing in your incorrect "style" forever, without the ability to draw any other way.

It's pretty obvious you have no idea what you're talking about, so I'll just ignore it and move on my way.

So, let's all draw dudes with 10 foot tall necks and 3 foot tall bodies, and call it "our style." While we're at it, let's argue that it's still anatomically correct.

The point is not whether style plays in at all, it's a matter in this case of whether or not the proportions are correct. Either you have them right, or you don't. You don't skip around the hard truth. You either accept what you did incorrectly and improve, or end up drawing in your incorrect "style" forever, without the ability to draw any other way.

It's pretty obvious you have no idea what you're talking about, so I'll just ignore it and move on my way.

"Proportions should be based on how the drawing itself looks rather than the reference you used."

If those dudes with 10 foot necks look good, then sure, draw 'em like that. It is, in fact, your style. Assuming we're talking about cartoons here, which we are, making things anatomically correct is entirely irrelevant.

If the type of art you create is unique to you, that makes it more interesting. If everyone drew the exact same way, that would be really boring :P

But we are getting really off-topic here. Assuming you stick to your message and ignore this one, thank you. With these kinds of conversations, I always keep going on and on :S

Hmm. What if you were to make the skeleton in Paint, then drew on top of that skeleton in GIMP? Would help you a TON with making stuff. Although I'm pretty sure there's a circle tool in GIMP too, but Iunno, I hardly use it :S

Well I normally use layers to make the skeleton since it makes things easier, besides I haven't even opened paint in a while, and after using gimp a bit I think i've got the hang of it pretty well to the point where I'd rather use it.

Its all preference though i guess, some people prefer one thing over another. For me I just prefer GIMP due to how long its been since I've even touched paint.

I understand where your coming from though, I just feel a bit limited by paint ;p.

it looks fine for Being made with just you mouse. If you had a digital pen it would probably look alot better. Truth be told I failed at it with my mouse

I suppose so, although I don't have a tablet that I could use as of now, I may or may not get one in the future, but till then I'm just enjoying messing around trying to draw with a mouse :P.

Not bad and you can enjoy the fact it is still much better than what I draw. By a large margin, much better than mine... it just needs a little head adjustment.

I'm sure its not quite as large of margin :P. I use to say that to actually. But thanks Xros :).

• 2 years later...