Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

More frusteratingly bad art, by zygen.

Zygen

So i decided to make some more art, I was trying to draw my OC in the pose I drew of twilight a little bit ago, but it turned out pretty terrible in my opinion. And its kinda starting to frustrate me.

I mean like basically everytime I draw my heads for my pony drawings they're always way to big or pointy or something, of course this one is no exception(Plus I kinda think the eyes are a bit.. off?

Anyways, i'm not sure what I'm going to do, i feel like I'm going to be stuck drawing these massively strange looking heads on all of my ponys. I know theres other problems, but the fact I can't draw my heads correctly at all really bothers me >_>.

Anyways i'll spare you my usual 10000 word rambling. And get straight to the point.

Heres the pic.

post-7861-0-64430500-1355027202_thumb.jpg

I also decided to randomly try adding shadowing and lighting to the drawing, but I'm pretty sure it turned out terrible, still I figured y'all may find some enjoyment in it. :P.

post-7861-0-38464800-1355027259_thumb.jpg

I also used some references.but they're all the same really that I always use, My OC picture and a random picture of twilight in the pose.

I used GIMP and a mouse, it took me something like an hour, hour 1/2. Something like that.

The biggest thing I'm annoyed about is the head, I seriously cannot fix it no matter how many times I draw it >_>. Maybe I'll go watch some videos of people drawing ponies to see if that helps.

Alright, enjoy my usual novice level art. If you enjoy that I guess. feel free to leave any help or critique, I know it can't be that hard to point things out atleast :P.

Maybe I'm just getting frustrated for no reason, maybe I just simply need more practice before I'll be able to make these good. Still I don't want to keep doing the same thing when i'm doing it wrong already.

(So much for sparing you my usual rambling :P. Sorry.)

Thank you in advance for atleast taking a look at my art.(if you can call it that :P.)

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 5

Don't worry, just keep practicing! After all, that's what I did, and it worked!

Keep pluggin' away, you'll get it right! (Hint- try listening to music, that helps me draw some times)

I guess thats true, I probably should be practicing more. I don't think I've draw that much art for practice, infact most of the art I've draw has ended up posted here, with only a few others I drew.

And yeah i started listening to music a bit, I just listened to music off youtube for this, but next time I'll just put together a playlist and leave it on. I actually heard music opens up part of your brain(Or something along those lines).

You may not like your own work but you can take comfort in the fact that you are still a much better artist than I am. Besides that, it actually look pretty good!

Hehe, well thanks. I'm sure if you really tried you'd atleast be able to draw as good as me(Hopefully much better :P.)

I almost feel strange really to call myself an artist, I mean I really just started drawing in my spare time a week or so ago, not to mention I haven't done much.

I literally really didn't draw anything much before that(Except the ocational stuff I had to do for projects at school.)

But thank you for your compliment :)

• Brohoof 2

The head is usually the hardest thing for me.  Try starting with the ridge of the snout then moving on from there.  This is pretty good, though the eye is really slender and the other is really small. The body is well done.  So overall nice job, just the head needs work, and the front half of the body.

• Brohoof 1

Wow. Nice work mate, I am already seeing improvements compared to some of your other work.  
All in all the shape in general is alot better. The body proportions are alot better.  Just make the head and eyes a lil rounder.
Keep going mate, you are getting better.

Edited by zRevenantz
  • Brohoof 1

The head is usually the hardest thing for me.  Try starting with the ridge of the snout then moving on from there.  This is pretty good, though the eye is really slender and the other is really small. The body is well done.  So overall nice job, just the head needs work, and the front half of the body.

Yeah I kinda felt the eyes where smaller this time, but I wasn't sure on it. The head is always the one I draw like 50 billion times.. :/ The second most annoying ones probably the tail for me, I always have trouble with making it look not very.. weird.. I think I did a slight bit better on not making the edges to jaged this time though, they're a bit more rounded.

Anyways thank you dusty for your feedback :)

Wow. Nice work mate, I am already seeing improvements compared to some of your other work.  

All in all the shape in general is alot better. The body proportions are alot better.  Just make the head and eye a lil rounder.

Keep going mate, you are getting better.

Thanks dude, I think I may just be neglecting the amount of practice I need to do. I really need to learn patience honestly to, thats another thing I need to learn more about :P.

I think i may start doing more practice art, and not just do art that i post. Then once I come back i'll be able to see the improvement, aswell as everyone else.

So hopefully the next time I post things will look better.

Procrastination is a pain isn't it? And nothing is worse then losing your patience/temper at a piece.
Investing in a cheap tablet might make alot of difference.  
And Please keep me in the loop, I enjoy seeing people's art develop
  • Brohoof 1

Procrastination is a pain isn't it? And nothing is worse then losing your patience/temper at a piece.

Investing in a cheap tablet might make alot of difference.  

And Please keep me in the loop, I enjoy seeing people's art develop

Yeah tell me about it. I procrastinate on everything..(like the homework I have for the weekend lol.) I get frustrated quite easily when things don't look perfect, i'm a bit of a perfectionist :P.

I may get a tablet someday, but I don't think i'll get one anytime soon. However if I did get one does it matter what kind anyways?

As for the keeping in the loop. Does that mean you want me to post like most of my art? Or does that just mean you want to see it yourself or something? :P.

As for the keeping in the loop. Does that mean you want me to post like most of my art? Or does that just mean you want to see it yourself or something?
Either one, if your gonna post on the forum I'll just see it then. But for ones you don't post I wouldn't mind if you sent me a pic of em for me to see.

I may get a tablet someday, but I don't think i'll get one anytime soon. However if I did get one does it matter what kind anyways?
Not really, they all do the same job. The only difference really are sizes and functions. Although for bigger art project, bigger tablets are usually better. But for what you are doing just a 50$ wacom bamboo would do. Edited by zRevenantz
  • Brohoof 1

Either one, if your gonna post on the forum I'll just see it then. But for ones you don't post I wouldn't mind if you sent me a pic of em for me to see.

Not really, they all do the same job. The only difference really are sizes and functions. Although for bigger art project, bigger tablets are usually better. But for what you are doing just a 50$ wacom bamboo would do.

Ok. Thank you for the help! I may send a pic to you sometime if I decide I feel like it, or maybe I'll just continue to post just less frequently of my creations.

I probably won't end up getting a tablet anytime soon, but thank you for the info on it regardless.(Who knows maybe I will sometime. Just not to promise anything.)

• 2 years later...