Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Christian bronies: meet, greet, and mingle!

Zach TheDane

If you ever feel like giving up on something, read James chapter 1

I guarantee you'll feel more confident afterwards

Personally when I'm feeling down, I just read Ecclesiastes.

I don't recommend it for general use, but with a dark enough sense of humor, it's pretty effective ^^;

• Brohoof 2

Personally when I'm feeling down, I just read Ecclesiastes.

I don't recommend it for general use, but with a dark enough sense of humor, it's pretty effective ^^;

My philosophy teacher always said, "different strokes for different folks." :)

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Well.. It feels fantastic to be back! What I mean is that not only have I not posted here in years, I've been in a state of confusion on whether or not I was really Christian or if I was just agnostic :please: I realized that a lot of what's been going on in my head was just a bunch of bickering instead of REASONING. Like lawyers, for example, fight to the end to reach their desired point and keep raising their voice every step along the way. I was doing that instead of actually considering that there IS deep reasoning in the Christian Faith. The doubt I had turned my thoughts into a screaming contest. I know I'm not just choosing my faith blindly because I know that I'm a complex being with a complex mind that doesn't just go one way :-P This religion is so welcoming to me and I remembered all the reason I was a part of it in the first place :P

• Brohoof 6

Well.. It feels fantastic to be back! What I mean is that not only have I not posted here in years, I've been in a state of confusion on whether or not I was really Christian or if I was just agnostic :please: I realized that a lot of what's been going on in my head was just a bunch of bickering instead of REASONING. Like lawyers, for example, fight to the end to reach their desired point and keep raising their voice every step along the way. I was doing that instead of actually considering that there IS deep reasoning in the Christian Faith. The doubt I had turned my thoughts into a screaming contest. I know I'm not just choosing my faith blindly because I know that I'm a complex being with a complex mind that doesn't just go one way :-P This religion is so welcoming to me and I remembered all the reason I was a part of it in the first place :P

Welcome back :D

I know that feeling well. Just in the past several months after first moving away to college, my Christian faith has been tested so much. I'm working it out with God though, step by step though, learning to silence the bickering within and search for objectivity within the faith rather than subjectivity. I've been getting back into scripture and prayer after being led astray by the world for a little while. It's very refreshing. :) No matter where you are on the Christian spectrum (personally I was raised Protestant but lately I've become fascinated with Orthodoxy), it's tough. But at the same time, in the end it's God and his love for us who makes this religion a source of peace for so many people. :)

• Brohoof 3

Welcome back :D

I know that feeling well. Just in the past several months after first moving away to college, my Christian faith has been tested so much. I'm working it out with God though, step by step though, learning to silence the bickering within and search for objectivity within the faith rather than subjectivity. I've been getting back into scripture and prayer after being led astray by the world for a little while. It's very refreshing. :) No matter where you are on the Christian spectrum (personally I was raised Protestant but lately I've become fascinated with Orthodoxy), it's tough. But at the same time, in the end it's God and his love for us who makes this religion a source of peace for so many people. :)

Thank you! :rarity:

Yeah being in school around stuff that makes me doubt my faith made me worry that I was trying to fool myself into believing in something. It kept getting worse and worse, the more I tried stalling myself from making a decision D: I was worried and kept attacking myself with thoughts like, "I'm being so naive and easily washed into stuff like religion" "I'm just being a coward who can't accept death" "I'm trying to defend mythology against reason" and other things like that but I came to realize that I'm not a simple person who can be summed up in any one of those ways. I saw how my doubts really kept me back. So yeah! I feel really bubbly getting back into this :D I can really understand what you're saying here :squee: I have yet to find out where I fall on the spectrum though :D

• Brohoof 6

Last I heard there were no actual records of Jesus having existed.
Having looked it up, wikipedia claims most of the confirmations of that are in the scriptures, the Apocrypha, writings of Josephus and the 'Tacitus', which I hadn't heard of prior.
Not trying to discount anyone's belief that He existed, nor belief in His teaching, as I believe them both,

just that that's something you may have to come to an explanation for while at school.

Something I still have an answer to for my very atheist sibling who claims to be agnostic ^^;

• Brohoof 3

This morning, I attended my first Divine Liturgy in an Orthodox Church. Not gonna lie, it was a bit of a culture shock, after going to Evangelical services all my life :lol: But at the same time, it was beautiful. Got to spend time with the priest afterwards and he's the nicest guy, as is the deacon whom I first met outside of church this past week.

I'm going to attend some more services before I start getting really serious about converting (the Catechism is a LOT of preparation!), but so far I'm happy and would love to dive deeper into the faith.

• Brohoof 4

It's very in-vogue for "popular" historians, liberalist theology and popular science to call the historicity of Jesus into dispute. The apparent popularity of doing so gives the superficial appearance that Jesus's existence is dubious. As a matter of fact, Jesus's life is one of the most evidentially sound events in history since the Industrial era.

The second reason I brought that up was because I'm actually curious to see the evidence that supports that for myself.

While I believe it, it would still be nice to have a citation for those who don't.

'Cause the other versions tend to change stuff although this one isn't really that different. -3-'

I have never understood the whole theory among some fundamentalists that the KJV is the only valid English translation and all the others are evil.

If you're that concerned about the exact wording, just learn the original Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, etc.

• Brohoof 1

I have never understood the whole theory among some fundamentalists that the KJV is the only valid English translation and all the others are evil.

If you're that concerned about the exact wording, just learn the original Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, etc.

Well actually, a lot of verses are missing in other translations and the wording is changed to mean very different things. It's very subtle.

And of course, Revelation 22:18 says...

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"

• Brohoof 1

'Cause the other versions tend to change stuff although this one isn't really that different. -3-'

Well if you're going in THAT direction, might as well take it to the extreme and learn Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic and read the original manuscripts and tablets :V

I'm teasing obviously,
Though I'm curious what you seem to think is changed through the various versions, considering the hundreds of them that there are.

o3o

(citing biblegateway.com for the versions)

I'm teasing obviously,

Though I'm curious what you seem to think is changed through the various versions, considering the hundreds of them that there are.

o3o

(citing biblegateway.com for the versions)

Who are you talkin' to? >3>

And everybody's favorite reliable source...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bible_verses_not_included_in_modern_translations

Here's another one with a chart.

http://www.av1611.org/biblevs.html

But yeah, there's lots of articles on it all over the place and pictures showing the differences and such in organized charts, but I just found that Wikipedia page and thought that was a juicy list.

I just looked up "KJV vs. " and suggestions popped up. -3-'

Edited by ChowniniFries
  • Brohoof 1

Thought it was pretty obvious I was talking to  you, but okay, lol

Yeah, that 2nd link seems pretty interesting, though I still prefer BibleGateway.com to the 1st link.
Cause you can switch between translations and compare them one page to another side by side without having to have 20 books in front of you :V

Thought it was pretty obvious I was talking to  you, but okay, lol

Yeah, that 2nd link seems pretty interesting, though I still prefer BibleGateway.com to the 1st link.

Cause you can switch between translations and compare them one page to another side by side without having to have 20 books in front of you :V

Oops. -3-' But yus. Here's one. Just totally didn't find it.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+17%3A21&version=NIV

The second reason I brought that up was because I'm actually curious to see the evidence that supports that for myself.

While I believe it, it would still be nice to have a citation for those who don't.

There are this book, "Who Moved the Stone?" by Frank Morison. This book is a classic on the subject of the historicity of Jesus. Its originally author sets out to disprove the historicity, so he wasn't biased when it comes to actually proving it. However, he ended up getting to the opposite conclusion that he expected to get. So for the sake of intellectual honesty, he ended up accepting it.

The book is currently on free domain, so there is no issue with downloading it from the internet:

https://archive.org/details/WhoMovedTheStone

The download above only provides the EPUB format, though. So I converted it to PDF and attached it to this post:

Who Moved the Stone_ - Frank Morison.pdf

• Brohoof 4

3000 posts! (I know I'm not the one, but thought I'd point that out)

Been a while since I was in here. How are we all today? That book looks interesting, Sunwalker. Think I might give it a try sometime! :)

• Brohoof 4

There are this book, "Who Moved the Stone?" by Frank Morison. This book is a classic on the subject of the historicity of Jesus. Its originally author sets out to disprove the historicity, so he wasn't biased when it comes to actually proving it. However, he ended up getting to the opposite conclusion that he expected to get. So for the sake of intellectual honesty, he ended up accepting it.

The book is currently on free domain, so there is no issue with downloading it from the internet:

https://archive.org/details/WhoMovedTheStone

The download above only provides the EPUB format, though. So I converted it to PDF and attached it to this post:

attachicon.gifWho Moved the Stone_ - Frank Morison.pdf

Thanks for the info!

:D

I'll find this quite useful

@Cloggedone

Aye, you're welcome for the 3000'th post lmao

• Brohoof 1