Christian bronies: meet, greet, and mingle!

Zach TheDane

I started reading the Bible this month and I'm Genesis 18. Some neat stuff so far. Honestly I can't say I've gone cover-to-cover yet but I'm going for it now. Some things in there just make sense I think, in comparison to an atheistic viewpoint on how the world began.

• Brohoof 2

I started reading the Bible this month and I'm Genesis 18. Some neat stuff so far. Honestly I can't say I've gone cover-to-cover yet but I'm going for it now. Some things in there just make sense I think, in comparison to an atheistic viewpoint on how the world began.

What makes you say that exactly? I mean I'm glad you're interested but most of us here still believe in the Big Bang, evolution, and all that. Then again, that may not be what you mean by "an atheistic perspective" hence my question.

Lutheran here. I'd love to make a new friend. :lol:

Welcome Mr. Viewtiful Joe reference.

Oh cool. Looks like a good thread for debate and, well, mingling! Count me in~

Oh yeah, I am a Christian, and my church is part of AGC. Associated Gospel Churches. Really solid group.

Speaking of solid, has anyone here heard of Rock Solid Refuge?

• Brohoof 2

What makes you say that exactly? I mean I'm glad you're interested but most of us here still believe in the Big Bang, evolution, and all that. Then again, that may not be what you mean by "an atheistic perspective" hence my question.

Welcome Mr. Viewtiful Joe reference.

You're gonna be shocked when I tell you I have no idea what that is. :rarity:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I believe in evolution and the Big Bang too. What I meant by that was that verses that say things like God creating man and making them superior to animals makes sense since today humans have obviously progressed far beyond any animal species and is the only species with free will. Under an atheistic perspective, all of this came by chance and it just so happened to be that humans evolvedso much that they could talk, think freely, and use advanced technology. The Genesis account here in that regard is just more believable with there being divine help which actually explains the superiority of man. Edited by Varrack
  • Brohoof 1

You're gonna be shocked when I tell you I have no idea what that is. :rarity:

Ah thought that might be the case. Jet Black was a character on the video game Viewtiful Joe 2, thought you were referencing him and not just the color. (Though given the name scheme of the show, I should have guessed.)

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I believe in evolution and the Big Bang too. What I meant by that was that verses that say things like God creating man and making them superior to animals makes sense since today humans have obviously progressed far beyond any animal species and is the only species with free will. Under an atheistic perspective, all of this came by chance and it just so happened to be that humans evolvedso much that they could talk, think freely, and use advanced technology. The Genesis account here in that regard is just more believable with there being divine help which actually explains the superiority of man.

Not to mention the responsibility of man, that we are the animal's superiors but also their shepherds as God is to us. Forewarning, the Bible gets really weird during the Antedulivian parts after the Garden of Eden. (Good weird, I personally think but I'm not everyone.)

• Brohoof 1

@@Varrack,

Warning coming up, Genesis 34 makes extremely little sense unless you have a well made commentary on the subject at hand, or listen to a sermon specifically about it. The Bible is a great book for all peoples, but that doesn't mean it will automatically make perfect sense to everyone using only its own contents as the only context.

Agreed, it's the most interpreted text in human history for a reason, and for many of us, not the center of our faith. The Bible is an important book, but at the end of the day, it is just a book.

Edited by Steel Accord

@@Varrack,

Agreed, it's the most interpreted text in human history for a reason, and for many of us, not the center of our faith. The Bible is an important book, but at the end of the day, it is just a book.

That is an interesting thought, and I certainly can agree with the interpretation comment as the Bible has been translated many times and the day and age it was written in was much different than ours.

You mentioned that the Bible is just a book and not the center of faith for some. If that is so, what is the center of your faith?

im muslim is that okay? :lol:

im muslim is that okay? :lol:

It's perfectly fine, just like repeating yourself repeating yourself.

You mentioned that the Bible is just a book and not the center of faith for some. If that is so, what is the center of your faith?

Jesus, the Teacher not the textbook. Don't mistake me, I don't dismiss the Bible out of hand, certainly not. I just don't take it's every word at face value as being "the Word of God" so to speak.

That is an interesting thought, and I certainly can agree with the interpretation comment as the Bible has been translated many times and the day and age

I also wasn't referring to the translations specifically but rather reading between the lines. Even if a group of priests are all using the same version of the text and with the same tongue, they may not agree on the meaning of a single verse. If the Devil is in the details, God is in the message. 

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

The end times are drawing near.

And there will be wars and rumors of wars, but the end will not yet come.

The world could end tomorrow or a thousand years from now. That's God's prerogative -- but we must always be prepared! Our task is to remain mindful of our faith and faithful in our work until that day arrives.

• Brohoof 3

And there will be wars and rumors of wars, but the end will not yet come.

The world could end tomorrow or a thousand years from now. That's God's prerogative -- but we must always be prepared! Our task is to remain mindful of our faith and faithful in our work until that day arrives.

Yeah I can't stand these doomsayers. People have been predicting the end since the beginning and have always been wrong.

Today it is the All Souls' Day, the commemoration of all the faithful departed. It is primarily a Catholic holiday, some Protestant churches also observe it informally while the Eastern Orthodox church observes it on a different date a few times through the year.

If you celebrate it or believe in praying for the souls of the departed, it is a good time for praying for them. It is also a time of honoring our ancestors, who are no longer among us.

Remember that death isn't a reason for despair, but of hope. Your departed loved ones are with God now. :)

• Brohoof 3

So I have a question for you guys. Someone told me something about religiousness declining the world over, it was more off hand not a hard statement but it did get me thinking on the subject.

It's true religion was once virtually ubiquitous at least socially which isn't the case anymore; and while a part of me thinks this change is a good thing as I don't want anyone bullied into faith and buried beneath a truncheon to step in line it only raises other questions.

Now that people today have more choice, why are more choosing not to have than those who are? And, will it ever be reversed? Can it?

@@Blue,

Yeah good words and I was partially referring to both definitions, but that still doesn't answer a question that I'm honestly quite concerned about.

Why are so many choosing to abandon faith, lying to themselves/unaware or not about it as per the second definition? Why does the option to leave mean so many choose to jump ship?

Hello everypony!  I am of the Christian faith and am so glad to have stumbled upon this forum.  I see that you have been discussing the end times in which a lot of Christians believe that we are living in right now.  I didn't start taking it very seriously until I saw on the news about the decline of the Christian faith which is one of many signs of the beginnings of the end times.  So I started reading this book called "The Harbinger."  Has anypony else heard of it?  I'm not finished with it yet but I am glad I have started reading it to become more knowledgeable in what is going on.  It is presented in a story form but everything in there is based of the truth from the bible.   

Hello everypony!  I am of the Christian faith and am so glad to have stumbled upon this forum.  I see that you have been discussing the end times in which a lot of Christians believe that we are living in right now.

No we really weren't it was brought up and then unanimously laughed off.

I didn't start taking it very seriously until I saw on the news about the decline of the Christian faith which is one of many signs of the beginnings of the end times.

I personally think you were closer to the truth when you didn't take it seriously. 

No we really weren't it was brought up and then unanimously laughed off.

I personally think you were closer to the truth when you didn't take it seriously. 

I'm sorry, I think you're wrong.  I see no evidence of anyone laughing anything off.  It all looked like a serious conversation to me.  I'm not saying that I know the end is coming because honestly no one knows.  I was just stating what I had heard from fellow Christians about what the signs are.  :)

I'm sorry, I think you're wrong.  I see no evidence of anyone laughing anything off.  It all looked like a serious conversation to me.  I'm not saying that I know the end is coming because honestly no one knows.  I was just stating what I had heard from fellow Christians about what the signs are.  :)

That gave me the impression it was not taken seriously.

Just like my quoted counterpart, I will take wisdom from pop culture.

Besides, "you will not know the day or the hour of my return." God wants us to live good and honorable lives, not stress over an outcome we can't predict.

Edited by Steel Accord