• July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

• 3 weeks later...

For me it was at the end of 2010. I just started college that fall, and my usual hanging spot was this little anime club. But outside normal hours, we could just watch whatever. So one guy just drops this godsent show on me like a pony messiah, saying it's pretty good. I then watch a couple episodes, and I'm hooked. And the rest is history.

• smile 2

On 2023-08-07 at 12:28 AM, Aticus the Adequate said:

I first found out about FIM after I watched a PMV of Discord and Fluttershy singing Master of the House from Les Miserables back in 2013. At the same time, my younger sister was watching the show and brought me in to watch it too. She was obsessed with Spike x Rarity episodes and would seek out those specific ones to watch from the wiki. I was like "ew, girl show" but that was more just me trying to hide my enjoyment of the show. Then I watched more and more in my spare time, and we eventually binged the episodes. It was by then that I called myself a brony and I'm proud of it to this day!

That's how many Bronies started lol :P

6 hours ago, Hadrien said:

For me it was at the end of 2010. I just started college that fall, and my usual hanging spot was this little anime club. But outside normal hours, we could just watch whatever. So one guy just drops this godsent show on me like a pony messiah, saying it's pretty good. I then watch a couple episodes, and I'm hooked. And the rest is history.

Another OG, yes! /)

• Brohoof 1

Back in February 2013, my friend from shop class got me into MLP. I think it took me at least three episodes to get into it, and it really helped me recover from a horrible year I had later on. 

Edited by Rock-O-Jello
adding more info
  • Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...

I don't really remember actually; it's been years. I know I used hate seeing ponies everywhere and couldn't understand why people kept drawing them. Then people were bringing characters from it into rps I was in at the time (they were multi-verse rps) and when I don't know anything about characters I wanna learn more about them so I started watching the show. I guess Nightmare Moon got me hooked and while I don't like all the episodes (don't know anyone who actually does) I watched FiM and been hooked every since.

• Brohoof 3

My 'origin story' is a peculiar one. I was very into the Creepypastas of the 2010's, back when I was a teenager. I couldn't say why really; in hindsight, most of them were tacky, lame attempts at horror. It didn't matter to me much at the time though; I was young and naive enough to where just about anything vaguely spooky made me jittery. Among the those videos I watched, I inevitably stumbled upon the Luna Game playthroughs, if you remember those. It was a cruddy, barely scary game really, but it was somehow enough to get me interested in the MLP fandom at the time. I never made the dive until about 2018, but I was something of an onlooker for a few years, browsing fanart and such. It took much, much longer for to actual watch and finish Friendship is Magic though. I had seen bits and pieces of it for ages, but it was only this year when I decided to sit down and watch the whole series, its specials, and the movies.

It was an interesting journey getting here, but I don't regret it.

• Brohoof 2

I first got into MLP in 2011, and watched a few of the episodes. I garnered an interest in it that was rather nascent. Then in 2012 I discovered the Elements of Insanity from this video. From then, I was completely hooked. Though, I was aware of MLP since 2010.

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

For me, it started with the memes. Then I thought I had to watch the show and I still love it today. I love the characters, stories and art style.

Edited by Pascalle
  • Brohoof 2
  • smile 1

On 2023-11-08 at 6:18 AM, Props Valroa said:

I first got into MLP in 2011, and watched a few of the episodes. I garnered an interest in it that was rather nascent. Then in 2012 I discovered the Elements of Insanity from this video. From then, I was completely hooked. Though, I was aware of MLP since 2010.

Yea.

I'm glad the pony behind it is still active btw.

• 4 weeks later...

I copied and pasted this from my experiences listed in this post on Fimfiction, because it'll just take way too long for me to type this out otherwise. Technically speaking I don't call myself a "brony", per se, but this is still a good place for me to talk about how I became interested in MLP in the first place, so there you go. >^_^<

--------

Throughout my life, I avoided My Little Pony like the plague. Part of this was because I was always under the impression that it was aimed solely at girls, while the rest of it was because--if my online handle wasn't enough of an indicator--I preferred felines over equines (as an example, I became interested in Sailor Moon as a kid solely because of Luna and Artemis). I never really felt comfortable getting involved with MLP; I didn't even know that successive generations were a thing.

That started to change in late 2014, early 2015 or thereabouts. I'd been obsessed with Touhou Project-related stuff back then (and to a lesser degree still am), so when I heard about then-Screw Attack's One Minute Melee between Sakuya Izayoi and Dio Brando, I went to watch it as soon as I could. When I followed this up with watching reaction videos, I started noticing not just that several who'd seen that particular fight were interested in MLP, but also that "Starscream Vs. Rainbow Dash" was a thing.

So I watched the fight, watched reactions to it on YouTube (most notably those of Shanmul1995 and DYWTBA_Brony), and gradually became interested in what I was seeing. At this point, I decided to test the waters a little bit and checked into a certain set of fan animations (and reactions, of course) I'd heard about through TV Tropes but didn't look at too closely. It wasn't guaranteed to be factually accurate, but it would still give me an inkling of what I was getting into.

Turnabout ever-loving Storm.

I was on to something here. I continued reading stuff on TV Tropes about the show and recaps of the episodes, seeking out stuff that would interest me. I kept myself limited to stuff that I found either cool or funny (the latter mostly revolving around Pinkie Pie, as expected). The major downside to this, of course, is that due to my fairly narrow search criteria, the bulk of the episodes I haven't touched; the 100th episode is the only one that I've sat down and watched from beginning to end, if only because I like it when secondary/background characters get more fleshed out in personality.

Admittedly, this is why I don't call myself a brony. To me, being a brony would require a certain dedication or obsession with the show that I lack, being willing to maintain an interest in MLP that at least surpasses just casual observation, and I don't have that. When it comes to entertainment, I prioritize cats, professional sports (the Detroit, MI-area, to be more specific), and Touhou over almost everything else.

-----

There's a lot more that I didn't mention, but you're welcome to check the link up there if you want to read the whole thing.

As an addendum, I'm not quite as addicted to Touhou as I used to be, and I've gotten a bit more into MLP since then (I'd have to, if I wanted to write halfway decent fanfiction).  :dash:

Edited by CurtisWildcat
Minor clarification
  • Brohoof 1

On 2023-12-05 at 5:59 AM, CurtisWildcat said:

I copied and pasted this from my experiences listed in this post on Fimfiction, because it'll just take way too long for me to type this out otherwise. Technically speaking I don't call myself a "brony", per se, but this is still a good place for me to talk about how I became interested in MLP in the first place, so there you go. >^_^<

--------

Throughout my life, I avoided My Little Pony like the plague. Part of this was because I was always under the impression that it was aimed solely at girls, while the rest of it was because--if my online handle wasn't enough of an indicator--I preferred felines over equines (as an example, I became interested in Sailor Moon as a kid solely because of Luna and Artemis). I never really felt comfortable getting involved with MLP; I didn't even know that successive generations were a thing.

That started to change in late 2014, early 2015 or thereabouts. I'd been obsessed with Touhou Project-related stuff back then (and to a lesser degree still am), so when I heard about then-Screw Attack's One Minute Melee between Sakuya Izayoi and Dio Brando, I went to watch it as soon as I could. When I followed this up with watching reaction videos, I started noticing not just that several who'd seen that particular fight were interested in MLP, but also that "Starscream Vs. Rainbow Dash" was a thing.

So I watched the fight, watched reactions to it on YouTube (most notably those of Shanmul1995 and DYWTBA_Brony), and gradually became interested in what I was seeing. At this point, I decided to test the waters a little bit and checked into a certain set of fan animations (and reactions, of course) I'd heard about through TV Tropes but didn't look at too closely. It wasn't guaranteed to be factually accurate, but it would still give me an inkling of what I was getting into.

Turnabout ever-loving Storm.

I was on to something here. I continued reading stuff on TV Tropes about the show and recaps of the episodes, seeking out stuff that would interest me. I kept myself limited to stuff that I found either cool or funny (the latter mostly revolving around Pinkie Pie, as expected). The major downside to this, of course, is that due to my fairly narrow search criteria, the bulk of the episodes I haven't touched; the 100th episode is the only one that I've sat down and watched from beginning to end, if only because I like it when secondary/background characters get more fleshed out in personality.

Admittedly, this is why I don't call myself a brony. To me, being a brony would require a certain dedication or obsession with the show that I lack, being willing to maintain an interest in MLP that at least surpasses just casual observation, and I don't have that. When it comes to entertainment, I prioritize cats, professional sports (the Detroit, MI-area, to be more specific), and Touhou over almost everything else.

-----

There's a lot more that I didn't mention, but you're welcome to check the link up there if you want to read the whole thing.

As an addendum, I'm not quite as addicted to Touhou as I used to be, and I've gotten a bit more into MLP since then (I'd have to, if I wanted to write halfway decent fanfiction).  :dash:

Nice story! /)

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Around January of last year, I think. One of my subscribers told me to do a cover of the song “Antonymph” and i listened, holy shit i was in love x3. i listened to some other vylet pony songs and thus Tryx was born.

• Delighted Giggle 1

On 2024-01-26 at 4:12 PM, tryxp0ny said:

Around January of last year, I think. One of my subscribers told me to do a cover of the song “Antonymph” and i listened, holy shit i was in love x3. i listened to some other vylet pony songs and thus Tryx was born.

Nice, very based! I LOVE Vylet Pony! /)

Antonymph.gif

I became a fan back in 2014 but wasn’t really in the fandom much until now when I recently got back into the show and reignited my love for it. And I wanted a place to discuss but I’m not into most social media sites and was glad to have found forums like these as this is my preferred format for interaction online.

• Brohoof 1