What is your Current Opinion on "Bronies"?

Gaines

Others' views on bronies have changed many times, from being warm and friendly to unwelcoming weirdos :crackle:
But whether you call yourself a brony/pegasister or not, what is your opinion on the community now? (Just don't be rude :please:)

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1

Giving how fairly new I am to this community, I'm not sure if my opinion on it really matters that much, but I must say, before becoming a fan I saw some memes and posts implying that Bronies were bad people or that they've all become criminals or that they practice really bad things, not sure if these people were just joking, but they said terrible things. Now, 9/10 months after I became a brony, I don't see any of that, of course there are bronies who did really dirty things, but I don't want to talk about that, what I mean is, people talk bad about them because what? Because they like a cartoon for little girls? The NSFW? All other communities make NSFW of their beloved characters, I don't see the point, all communities have their weird and bad side, or at least a lot of them, MLP is just one more.

Now, I'm not sure if it's because I'm still new to it, or because the fans really try to capture the spirit of the series, or because of something else, but this community just seems really nice to me, the way people interact, the fan-made content, there's something unique about it, I don't know, but this place is the only one that makes me feel like a child again in some way that I can't explain, everything just feels innocent and inviting, and I can't remember the last time I had this much fun socializing with a large group of people, I feel comfortable with Bronies and Pegasisters around me in a way that I just can't feel with fans of other series like...well, Dragon Ball. I don't know, I just feel that this is a community I genuinely like being a part of, when I say that I regret for not caring much about this site in late 2023 and earlier in this year, and specially for forgetting about MLP when I was a kid, it's because I'm really serious about it, and I'm grateful for that, the Brony community is currently one of the main things that makes me feel happier now, thanks to it I'm doing creative things that I would never imagine doing again, if someone thinks I'm a weirdo or something worse just because I like ponies, well, it's none of my business, I'm past the phase of caring about insignificant bias, for me what matters is being happy :mlp_smile:

• Brohoof 8

brownies!

large.png

oh, Bronies.

THIS IS ALSO MY REACTION TO THEM :P
This place is particularly sweet. I have never personally met a bad one, altho I have spoken to a few troubled types. Pony friends have their share of problems that any netty fandom has ofc, but then you have to expect that. The pony creativity though D: hoof bros and gaskin gals are so good for that!

Things like Scootertrix (spoilered - language)

Spoiler

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 1

My opinion on bronies has never really changed since I first became one back in 2011, I've always believed that this fandom can do good and bad for others. There are definitely some warped people in this fandom and it always saddens me immensely when I read about odious actions committed by people who were fans of MLP, but every fandom is going to have toxic, crazy people. 

• Brohoof 4
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

57 minutes ago, honk friend said:

better now than they were 10-14 years ago, i say that as someone who's been in the fandom for like 13 years

Truth. Community has definitely had its ups and downs. But I feel like the current community is as welcoming/friendly as it's ever been.

Anyway, speaking on just the current community, I feel mostly positive about it. It's a lot smaller than it once was, to the point where you end up seeing a lot of familiar faces even across different pony sites, and I think that's a good thing for the most part. Makes the community feel more close-knit and you also end up with less toxic people around to a degree. You still have some... interesting figures in the fandom. The Brony equivalents of capital-G Gamers. Which is inevitable I guess. And they are a lot rarer than they used to be.

I really can't think of any major negative experiences I've personally had with the fandom recently. Even with the IRL fans I've met. Only minor example I can think of is how heated some fans can get when you tell them you like G5. Feels as if some people hear that and think it's their personal duty to convince you that you're wrong for liking it. Which is silly.

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 3

Honestly being in this fandom again after not being in it for a few years has been such a amazing and wonderful experience. I truly never have this much fun talking to other people about anything that this fandom has to offer. Like to be able to talk about everything about "what if this happen" or "what if this was change to something else" and just keep going on and on and that is one of many things I love about being a brony and being apart of this fandom because this fandom has so much creative and how people can make awesome art, music, au's, stories, fanfictions, and etc. Now of course this fandom ain't perfect like the rest of other fandoms but still in this modern day of age I think this fandom as been so welcoming to newcomers and ones who are coming back into the fandom and just so friendly to everyone and honestly I think I can call this fandom my home because I truly love being here and being able to connect with so many other people who like to be a brony/pegasister :squee:.

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

The Community isn't what it used to be - and has shrunk massively. When I first joined in 2016 it was akin to walking into a stadium with people I would never remember even if I met them many times. Now it is like walking into a classroom, where there is a fewer number of people that I can name off the top of my head. I would also say that the Fandom is also aging, and only the really dedicated and fully interested people remain at this point - and stick around. Speaking personally, I have had some of the worst experiences I have ever had in this fandom - but at the same rate, it granted me my inner circle of loyal friends. Everything has its ups and downs, bumps in the road that you deal with. I definitely prefer the way things used to be before G4 ended, and G5 has failed to capture the magic that drew me here - but at least it offers some sort of steady stream, even if it is fairly small. It's something at least. 

I do definitely think the Community has a bad rap and the term "Brony" really encompasses the negative parts of it in my view. I never liked the word "Brony". 

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 2

On 2024-04-21 at 5:39 PM, Props Valroa said:

The Community isn't what it used to be - and has shrunk massively. When I first joined in 2016 it was akin to walking into a stadium with people I would never remember even if I met them many times. Now it is like walking into a classroom, where there is a fewer number of people that I can name off the top of my head. I would also say that the Fandom is also aging, and only the really dedicated and fully interested people remain at this point - and stick around. Speaking personally, I have had some of the worst experiences I have ever had in this fandom - but at the same rate, it granted me my inner circle of loyal friends. Everything has its ups and downs, bumps in the road that you deal with. I definitely prefer the way things used to be before G4 ended, and G5 has failed to capture the magic that drew me here - but at least it offers some sort of steady stream, even if it is fairly small. It's something at least. 

I do definitely think the Community has a bad rap and the term "Brony" really encompasses the negative parts of it in my view. I never liked the word "Brony". 

@Props Valroa I think everything you wrote is the same as I would have said, almost spot on. As long as we're having fun together, at least I'll stay. There are always odd birds and idiots, but you just have to ignore them. If you choose who are your real friends, they are there for you. Like everything in life, you have to make your choices. Sometimes good sometimes worse, it's up to us. Friendship is magic anyway.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

@Princess Celestia

Choosing friends wisely is something that has come to me through a lot of struggles, trusting too many of the wrong people had many bad consequences for me. At least right now I am to the point to where I have surrounded myself with good loyal friends. 

• Hugs 2

When I first heard of Bronies way back in 2011, I thought they were kind of weird, but otherwise didn't mind that they exist. Yes, its mostly grown ups who like a show about cartoon ponies, but, it generally isn't harming anyone, and every large group naturally has its weirder, more vocal and overzealous members, they don't represent everyone.

Since becoming a Brony all the way back in 2014 though, I have warmed up to them a lot more. I think the fandom is pretty welcoming and, although I do miss the old days of the fandom, I still enjoy being a part of it.

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 2