Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Sonic Rainboom is a generic air trick and Wing Power

Lightning Dasher

One thing i've noticed while reading through some of the RP sections is that there are a lot of OC's with their own variations of the Sonic Rainboom and that got me thinking. From re-watching the episode 'Sonic Rainboom,' and hearing what Pinkie Pie had to say, it sounded like the Sonic Rainboom existed in theory even before Rainbow Dash performed it the first time.

Pinkie Pie: "The Sonic Rainboom is legendary. When a pegasus like Rainbow Dash gets going so fast. A sonic boom and a rainbow can happen all at once."

With that being said, I would be under the impression that if there were other pegasi who could fly as fast as RD, they would produce the same results and not be different in any way, shape or form.

Now, to break the speed of sound at sea level, you have to reach a speed of 761.2 MPH

To break the sound barrier 30,000 km above the earth, it's 678.2 MPH

And according to some math done by somepony else, 1 Wing Power = 19.5 MPH

In Hurricane Fluttershy, RD had a wing power of 16.5, meaning she can fly at 321.75 MPH, which is still less than half the speed needed for her to theoretically break the speed of sound and create a sonic rainboom in the first place. But, given Newton's Second Law, when she's flying downwards, given enough time, she would be able to reach the speed of sound. So she would need at least 16.2 - 20 seconds in order to create a sonic rainboom.

Now, it all made sense up until the Canterlot Wedding when she performs a sonic rainboom in an upward direction, meaning she would probably need at LEAST 35 Wing Power to pull off. Now, is there just something different about the environment there that makes it possible, like the difference between whether you're trying to break the speed of sound at sea level vs 30,000 km above the earth?

Then again, physics don't exactly work the same way considering what Pinkie Pie can do.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0126.shtml

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagicS2E22HurricaneFluttershy

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/accelaration-gravity-d_340.html

• Brohoof 3

This was always my impression as well, considering that the idea existed before Rainbow made it famous it has always been my headcanon that the Rainboom is only exclusive to Dash because she's the only one fast enough to pull it off.

Edited by DashForever

Don't use your science on me. There is nothing wrong with my Sonic Sunboom. Nothing. Think about it. Rainbow Dash has the Sonic Rainboom. Why? Is it a coincidence that the rainbow maned pegasus can do it? I think not.

(edited)

You would think that a pony like Lightning Dust would be able to pull it off as well, considering she was neck and neck with RD at the Wonderbolts Academy. As for any of the actual Wonderbolts, i'm under the impression that RD is faster than any of them based on what i've seen from episodes, but otherwise it's hard to really say considering there isn't enough to go on. Just seeing them get knocked out by a falling Rarity is weak sauce.

You would think that a pony like Lightning Dust would be able to pull it off as well, considering she was neck and neck with RD at the Wonderbolts Academy. As for any of the actual Wonderbolts, i'm under the impression that RD is faster than any of them based on what i've seen from episodes, but otherwise it's hard to really say considering there isn't enough to go on. Just seeing them get knocked out by a falling Rarity is weak sauce.

On another note, forgot to mention another thing relating to Hurricane Fluttershy. Their goal was to get enough Wing Power to produce 1000 WP. There were 8 ponies missing when they started and that was apparently enough to make it almost impossible just to create the 800 needed to bring the water up to Cloudsdale. That would make each of their contributions worth about 25 WP if it is cumulative. Either that, or with the combined power of the tornado, each ponies WP is significantly increased from the momentum? And that's how Fluttershy turned her 2.3 into a 5? So if that's more than doubled, you could assume that it goes the same for the rest of the ponies, or similar, since it didn't look like there were more than 40 ponies in the hurricane. So that would bring RD up to let's say... 32 WP while in the tornado? And all those 8's, 9's and such were doubled as well.

That makes sense because if there were 40 ponies, and they needed a base average of 10 WP to create the 800 needed at least, 20 WP each would be the perfect amount.

In response to aRegularPony, I don't think there's anything wrong with your Sonic Sunboom, but I still don't think that the Sonic Rainboom is solely Rainbow Dash's. If Lightning Dust did it, it would still be the same thing. She could call it a Sonic Lightboom or something.

Let's use basketball as an example. There is the slam dunk competition. They all have different ones that they do, but ultimately, they are all slam dunks. Thus, your Sonic Sunboom is still a Sonic Rainboom, but you're able to create a different coloured explosion?

Edited by Lightning Dasher
  • Brohoof 1

i believe a video all ready did this and other impossible actions in the show like rainbow dash flying half way across ponyville and the butterflys needing to be made out of dark matter to save fluttershy from death but still this is a cartoon things that dont make sense are bound to come up

Edited by The brony master

Maybe each pony has their own kind of trail and boom when they achieve certain speeds, such as how Lightning Dust has a lighting trail, like a rite of passage or something.

Also, Pinkie Pie could be implying that nopony had a rainbow trail and boom like Rainbow Dash's for a long time, and the specific type of trail and boom has slowly been forgotten.

• Brohoof 4

Maybe each pony has their own kind of trail and boom when they achieve certain speeds, such as how Lightning Dust has a lighting trail, like a rite of passage or something.

Also, Pinkie Pie could be implying that nopony had a rainbow trail and boom like Rainbow Dash's for a long time, and the specific type of trail and boom has slowly been forgotten.

That's a good point. And 'Sonic Rainboom' by itself doesn't necessarily imply that it creates a rainbow. She could just be suggesting that a rainbow is created when Rainbow Dash does it specifically.

• Brohoof 1

Stop...my brain...too much maths...

I'm pretty sure each Pegasus has their own "Sonic Rainboom" it just depends on who it is. For example, Lightning Dust's would most likely be bolts of Lightning and Spitfire's would most likely be fire. And trying to bring in our physics to Equestria doesn't really work well.

Have you guys maybe considered that they're on a planet where physics doesn't work the same way as our own planet? The famous Brony physics presentation covered something that supports that theory - when Applejack launches Rainbow Dash off a seesaw and she goes impossibly high. I reckon that atmospherically speaking some situations would have allowed for the Sonic Rainboom.

For instance, Canterlot is situated high up a mountain. Rainbow Dash wouldn't have needed as much wingpower to perform a Sonic Rainboom while at the wedding if she were already at the high altitude of the capital city, seeing as the speed of sound is slower up high. Not only that, but how do we know something else unique to Equestria doesn't influence its occurrence? I'm not the greatest physicist so I guess you guys can think about that one. Doesn't hurt to throw it into the soup. 

Edited by Flipturn

True, but I would like to think that there is some reasoning and explanation behind it. Consistency is good. Otherwise, if you know where to find that video you're mentioning, that would be interesting to see.

I believe this is the video you were looking for.

It's pretty hilarious. It talks about the Sonic Rainboom and how butterflies are of Dark matter

Bringing physics into Equestria screws with everything, to the point where some believe Rainbow Dash flies at Mach 10 speeds.

But push the physics aside, yes, I do believe every Pegasus has their own unique sonic boom that they must learn, and that they are not just limited to rainbows.

I believe this is the video you were looking for.

It's pretty hilarious. It talks about the Sonic Rainboom and how butterflies are of Dark matter

Speaking of dark matter, Applejack being dark matter is now a thing.

50f1f8a06d61f.jpg

I reckon too little attention is paid to physics in the show, unfortunately. You've got your ridiculous Rainbow Dash launching which shows much less gravity, then you've got your Applejack falling onto the seesaw at ridiculous speed which shows much more gravity. And then you have Rainbow Dash bouncing her ball in her ward in Read It And Weep, where gravity is apparently normal. I doubt it will ever be pinpointed, so for now I think it's sensible to say that the high altitude of Canterlot, as well as harsh winds typical of high altitude, allowed Rainbow Dash to perform her third Sonic Rainboom.

Edited by Flipturn

The little inconsistencies in the physics of the show is what makes the overall experience fun though  :lol:  

I personally like the little quirks in the show. They give MLP some character.

Well honestly the way I always thought of it when she said that was that only pony's specifically like Rainbow Dash could pull it off, meaning only pony's who produced Rainbow trails.

I assume that there has to be other pony's who have flown at the speed Rainbow dash can before, thus meaning they should produce something of similar effect. But I dunno, its quiet confusing.

It seems in the shows mind that Rainbow Dash is the only pony to preform it in who knows how long. Pinkies explenation was a bit unclear though, for all we know it could mean When a pegasi flys that fast. And not just implying pegasi specifcally like Rainbow Dash, but just Pegasi in general.

Maybe theres a special type of Pegasi who produce Trails when they fly, like the wonderbolts and Lightning Dust aswell As Rainbow Dash. Thats another topic that confuses me and would help solve this.

Perhaps the physics are the same, but the atmosphere is different. If the atmosphere had a higher molar mass then sound would travel slower, and breaking the speed of sound would be easier. If we simply accept that Rainbow Dash is the fastest pegasus in Equestria, and can just barely pull off those speeds, it makes sense that she's the only one to manage.

I like to believe that the Sonic Rainboom is an inherited trick, and only a select few members of Rainbow's family are capable of doing it, which would explain why many believe it's only a legend.

Either that or in the FiM universe, sonic booms make rainbows.