• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

https://mlpforums.com/calendar/event/119-%7B%3F%7D/?module=events

Title: Sonic Rainboom
Air Date: February 18, 2011
Synopsis: When Twilight uses her magic to give Rarity wings so that she can watch Rainbow Dash compete in a race, Rarity is so taken with her new ability that she disrupts the competition.

I remember when I first started watching the show, this was the turning point for me truly becoming a fan of Dashie. Before-hand I sort of liked her, but she began to grow on me as a character after this <3 Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 6

This is when Rainbow Dash finally has some character development. It was also truly amazing seeing the Sonic Rainboom for the first time. Though, I didn't like Rairty in this episode, especially with that ugly make up she put on herself during the performance.

• Brohoof 9

• 3 weeks later...

Title: Sonic Rainboom

Air Date: February 18, 2011

Synopsis: When Twilight uses her magic to give Rarity wings so that she can watch Rainbow Dash compete in a race, Rarity is so taken with her new ability that she disrupts the competition.

I remember when I first started watching the show, this was the turning point for me truly becoming a fan of Dashie. Before-hand I sort of liked her, but she began to grow on me as a character after this <3

Actually, I think I share the same sentiment; I really think this was a turning point for me as well in my estimation of RD. I guess before this episode, I'd really only seen Rainbow Dash, while certainly talented, as also a bit of a hot-head, impatient, and sometimes cocky and arrogant. However, the uncertainty and fear of failure that she displayed throughout the episode gave us a dramatically different RD from the one we'd seen all season, and it actually made me finally realize why her competitiveness isn't a bad thing. The way I now see it, Rainbow Dash is undoubtedly an extremely competitive pony, but, she's not competitive because she simply wants to win; she's competitive because she wants to know and prove to both herself and her friends that she has done and is doing the best she can do and being the best she can be. RD is very, very talented and gifted, and she's very much aware of this, so obviously she doesn't want to squander her talents, but rather use them to the best of her ability, for both herself and for the benefit of those around her (after all, she is the loyalest of ponies).

So, aside from that great bit of character development we got from Rainbow Dash, this episode had A LOT of other great things to offer. Fluttershy's 'yay' scene (still classic ^_^ ). Seeing the lengths that the earth-bound Mane 6 were willing to go to in order to support Rainbow Dash was rather touching, and a sure sign that the Mane 6 were growing ever closer by the day; even Rarity, despite the fact that she got rather annoying as the episode went on (and don't even get me started on her absolutely terrifying costume!!!!! :unsure: ), had a fantastic moment when she showed herself willing to actually risk her own neck in order to help RD (seriously, she could've probably gotten hurt if that spell had gone wrong!!!!!). Cloudsdale and all the pegasi were really cool to see, and I wish the show would spend a little more time in Cloudsdale, since I think it's one of the coolest locations we've yet seen in the show!. Finally, the sonic rainboom; what else is there to say, other than... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

So, all around, this is undeniably a great episode, probably in my top 10.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 5

This is one of the more famous ones. Scenes like the cheering and character development of Rainbow Dash just made this episode amazing. Besides, this is where my love of Rainbow comes from.

It's also good that the development was and is now being held.

One of the best episodes in my personal arrangement (which i just made up now :P ).

Oh I remember when i first watched that episode :D Totally one of my favorites, i always get a "chilling" sensation every time i see that part of the episode when she performs that Sonic Rainboom! Since it's been a while, i don't exactly remember how i thought of her before that episode. I do remember thinking of her as sort of a playful pony, and kind of cocky as well.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this episode when RD does the rainboom ...... I wonder whu she's not a wonderbolt yet because I mean, come on, she's the ONLY pony in teh whole of Equestria who can perform the Sonic Rainboom. why is she not yet a wonderbolt? :huh:

• Brohoof 3

This is one of those episodes that I watch again and again, and it's mainly for the sonic rainboom near the end. Personally, a sonic rainboom beats a real life sonic boom by a long shot, and I'm an aviation buff, so that's saying a lot. It looks cool, sounds cool, and the build-up to it is phenomenal. I was kind of hoping to see it in the Crystal Empire, but it's ok that it wasn't.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has to be my #1 favorite episode of all! I'm an aviation nut, and this episode was a good nod towards the spirit of flight! I mean, Dash breaks the sound barrier! Makes me wish for my own fighter jet, so I could challenge her to a race! I've seen many images posted with Dash next to a fighter jet, and makes me wish I had some semblance of artistic talent (writing excluded!)

This is easily my favorite episode so far!  I never really cared much for RD until this one, but I see I'm not the only one.  What I love about this show is how just when you think a character is vague and undefined, they change that!  The characters deepen and grow more dynamic with every episode, and Sonic Rainboom is a perfect example of that!

post-11325-0-00332500-1357587947.png

• 4 weeks later...

Rareity wasn't too appealing in this episode. Not only is it kind of cheating she enterted the contest with Rainbow Dash, since she only got them to come watch Rainbow Dash, and she didn't even rehearse, but for no absolute reason, I really hated the comment when she told Rainbow Dash's "pals" that she could get them a pair of her wings. As if It was her, not Twlight, who did that super complicated spell. Also, I really despise makeup. In episode she was caked with it. 

• 5 weeks later...

There were two cool things in this episode i will remember a long time. First are fluttershys attempts to cheer, which are funny. and 2nd is the sonic rainboom. As awesome as it looks its also very powerful as we see in a later episode. And Rainbow Dash proved that she is the fastest pony, considering top speed because the sonic rainboom was said to be a myth.

• Brohoof 1

This one one of the episodes that really sold me on Rainbow Dash. Before I thought she was just a more playful and athletic pony. (Well, she is, lol) But this is what got me to really respect her. This is by far one of the best episode of season 1!!!

• Brohoof 1

This was a good episode indeed I agree it was a turning point and it just made Rainbow Dash just that more awesome.

But... 30th March will change that when she hits a Double Rainboom! I'm so excited for this i just wanna see the awesomeness.

Its marked on my calender as a Massive Red circle!

Cider Barrel

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Probably the first episode where I didn't like Rarity's taste.

And since I knew Rainbow Dash was going to do a sonic rainboom, I was leaning forward in my seat, about to leap up and yell if she didn't do it soon!!!!

"Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!!!"
~Rainbow Dash wub.png

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Rainbow Dash is awesome! I've always loved rainbows and Rainbow Dash's personality just makes me like her even more. Everyone loves her. She's the most popular pony. You see merchandise of her everywhere! I have a lot of stuff with her face on it lol. I have a keychain of her and her cutie mark and on the back it says sonic rainboom! Anyway...I love the sight of rainbows. Seeing a sonic rainboom was awesome! WOO!

Edited by aileejeanette
  • Brohoof 2

This episode is quite awesome! So Rainbow Dash (wub.png) made a Sonic Rainboom of awesomeness. Rarity was being herself, as always.. It was a awesome episode.