Preferences in MLP fan-fiction questionnaire : What do you like?

Chann3l Chas3r

Prefrences in MLP : FiM fan-fiction questionerre (or, how can I make my fanfic a better read for you all?)  

19 users have voted

1. 1. How much does it bother you when a fan-comic / fan-fic diverts from canon?

• Not at all; I'm flexible.
    • It kinda bothers me, but I can look past it.
    • I don't like it very much, but if it's a good fanwork, then I can deal with it.
    • I can't read fanworks like that. It bugs me too much.
  2. 2. What if it only diverts from canon because it was written before the episode that disproves it?

• Oh, that's fine!
    • Well... okay. That's understandable.
    • Meh. I wish they'd go back and fix it, but that's okay I guess.
    • It still bugs me.
  3. 3. How do you feel about pairings in a story (OC, slash, straight, or otherwise)?

• Pairing pacficim, man! No big deal.
    • That's fine, but only if it makes sense.
    • I'm not a fan of pairings, but sometimes, if it's well-written, I can dig it.
    • I think that romantic focus (unless that's the main plot point) takes away from the story most of the time.
    • I don't like pairings unless they're canon.
  4. 4. Let's say that the tone of the story is more serious / directed towards older readers than the show is.

• Doesn't matter to me, as long as it's a good read!
    • Well, as long as it's not too dark or serious, I'm fine with it.
    • I rarely like fics like this. It depends, really.
    • Nah. I like the show's light tone.
  5. 5. Holy mother of beans! Something seriously bad just happened to your favorite character, and NOT in a karmatic way!

• Oooh! Things just got interesting!
    • What?! Aw, dude! I gotta find out what happens now! I hope they turn out fine...
    • Why would you do that! I mean... ugh! This had BETTER turn out okay for them in the end!
    • Ex-CUSE me?! How dare you do that to [insert name]! What did s/he do to deserve that? I am SO done with this fic!
  6. 6. Yeah, so that bad thing that just hapenned? It got worse.

• Geez, poor [insert name.] I'm rootin' for ya!
    • No! No! Why are you doing this to him/her?! I must voice my anger!
    • I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS. PEACE OUT.
    • *is already gone by this point*
  7. 7. For a fan-comic, how important to you is the art?

• As long as it isn't atrotious and you can understand what is going on, that's fine.
    • Art is pretty important to me, but I DO enjoy a good story.
    • I rarely read a comic if I don't enjoy the art. Maybe if it's a REALLY goood story.
    • The art is just as important as the story. If I don't like the art, the story doesn't matter to me.
  8. 8. OCs : Yay, or Neigh?

• Sure thing! As long as they're not a mary-sue, I'm cool.
    • As long as it's not an alicorn or draconeqqus or some other overpowered thing, then it's okay with me.
    • No big deal, as long as it's a species that exists in-canon (e.g., no pterasi, deer, humans, faeries.)
    • I don't mind, just don't make them the central focus of the story. I came here for the Mane cast!
    • I rarely like OCs, but sometimes I see one I like.
    • OCs ruin it for me.
  9. 9. SCIENCE! TECHNOLOGY! BATTERIES! COMBUSTABLE ENGINES!

• Oooh, cool!
    • What? Well, okay. Just explain it well and don't act like it was there all along!
    • It can be done right, but for the most part, I don't like it.
    • Nah, MLP is a magic universe. Don't add all that sci-fi stuff.
  10. 10. What do you think about fanfiction that takes place in the MLP-verse, but doesn't focus on any of the mane cast?

• Sure thing; the mane cast it only a part of what I like about MLP!
    • OOH! Background ponies!
    • Alright, I can dig it.
    • Meh. Just write it well, okay?
    • Nah, I'm not a fan of background stuff. Maybe, if it's REALLY good.
    • Nope.

I made this because, while writing fanfiction is pointless if the writer doen't like what they're writing, it also kind of suck if nopony else does either.  Feel free to add comments about what wasn't covered in the poll!

(And yes, I have a fan-comic in the works.  Expect it soon!...ish.)

• Brohoof 1

1: Depends on the type of deviation from canon and how well it's written. If characterization is poor and there isn't really a good explanation for it, I'm generally turned off to the fic. As for events turning out differently, I like some and dislike others. One of my favorite stories is an AU fic about Rainbow Dash being Celestia's student instead of Twilight, but there are some ideas that don't sit well with me.

2: Nothing that can really be done about this one, it'll bug me for a minute but I won't care.

3: I LOVE pairings. Most fics that I read are actually shipfics. I have some very clear preferences as to which pairings I'll read about, but overall I'm a big fan of the idea.

4: Depends again. Inevitably ground will be explored in fanfics that could never be touched upon in show. There are many stories that I like that are definitely targeted towards older fans (to be fair, they are written by and for older fans). As long as it isn't grimdark or really depressing I'm usually ok with it.

4: Ha ha, I hate reading about depressing things happening to Dashie. Conflict is a part of any good story though so I'll stick around most of the time if the story has already caught my attention.

5: I'm a sucker for happy endings, so most of the time I'll quit if I don't sense one coming. I actually read a lot of depressing literature in general, but as for MLP fanfics I have a very low tolerance for tragedy.

6: As long as it isn't garbage I'll put up with the art for the sake of a good joke. They take like ten seconds to read anyway.

7: Really don't like reading about OC's or even background ponies most of the time, but if their presence is explained, they feel like a part of the universe, they are written well and are entertaining characters I'll put up with them.

8: Again, really depends. If the author can make it feel like a part of the universe I'm accustomed to then go for it.

9: The engaging characters that make up the Mane Six are a tremendous part pf why I like this show and expansion on their characters is a massive part of why I read fanfics in general. So unless it's jaw droppingly good and the mane six play a significant part in the story I generally will pass on something that doesn't involve them.

Hello!

Most of the ponies here, have very different tastes, for example, i just hate most of the shippings, while someone else, will adore them. It's going to be very hard to please everyone, without having someone to upset. I suggest doing what you personally like, don't let others rule over your own ideas and style.

Hello!

Most of the ponies here, have very different tastes, for example, i just hate most of the shippings, while someone else, will adore them. It's going to be very hard to please everyone, without having someone to upset. I suggest doing what you personally like, don't let others rule over your own ideas and style.

Oh, don't worry, I'm not gonna try to please everypony, or even the majority.  Most of these questions are very static anyhow, I just want to know what everypony thinks.  Besides, in my opinion, a story isn't much fun for the writer if nopony likes it.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

1.) I like it. It shows how creative the writer is.

2.)They can't help it since it's written before the episode appeared. We're not mindreaders people!

3.)I clicked on my option before I even got to read it, but it's fine since I would pick it. Anyway, I'm fine with straight couples, but I'm indifferent about the f/f or m/m ones. I mean I'm fine with yaoi in anime, but for ponies it's kind of weird. I have read some f/f ones, but that's because they were written very well and caught my attention.

4.) Cupcakes. Rainbow Factory. Art of the dress (parody of cupcakes). I love stories like that. It shows how creative the writer is, and that's what got me started to read MLP fanfics. If they can turn a happy cartoon into something sad and dark then that shows how creative they are. But if it's got a lot of sex in it, or guns, then I won't read it. And strong cursing is a no-no.

5.) It's fun to read those because then you can feel the same emotion in the story as the character. You feel the axinety they feel, the sadness, and the fear. Now if you read a story about your least favorite character in the same situation, then you'll probably miss the point of the fanfic and root for its death. No fun then.

6.) Drama? Conflict? Oh yes!

7.) I'm not a big hater on art, since my art skills are meh, so I try to focuse on the story. On the other hand if the art looks like a kid picture painted it, then no. I don't care how good the story is, I won't read it. Same for fanfics.

8.) Nope. I want original characters in there. . .Well normally. Some fanfics I'll make an expection, like a fillyhood love interest, but those are very rare. Like gold rare. The only fanfic I'm ok with this would be the 'Wait it, Need it' fanfic. If the fanfic is ALL OC then you sir have lost a reader.

9.) Only if Doctor Whooves has the technogoly, since he's really a human. If other ponies have it, then I won't read it.

10.) If it's written great, like "Background Pony", then I'm cool with it. It's like the world: not only one person is viewed everyday.

Also we need more psychological fanfics.

Edited by Shypony

I am a big fan of works that do a lot of world building so for me if an author wants to put an OC or do whatever they want with the story, as long as it has meaning and I like the where it leads the story then I'm game.

Though I do stay away from gore/grimdark stuff like cupcakes and rainbow factory.