What if Celestia and Luna weren't what we think they are?

Lokey

A few weeks ago I there was a small discussion on the nations of the show's world on /mlp/. I can not remember exactly, but one anon brought up a point that the whole Luna raises the moon and Celestia raises the sun thing could be false (similar to how ancient rulers would claim to have divine and magical powers).

Can't think of much more to say, so what do you think?

Edited by Lokey

Entire earth would be devoured by a black hole and humanity would be destroyed as we know it.

Just kidding, i wouldn't even know..

Well, the Earth would be very different but it would be cool to have Celestia and Luna raise the Sun and the Moon for us. Pretty cool if you ask me.

You seem to be missing to the point of my topic; this was saying that it is possible that Luna raising the moon and Celestia raising the sun can be untrue, that is was a lie of sorts for them to get power.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see that ever being true since they are both mythical creatures(by our standards). Plus Luna was shown directly manipulating the stars as well as Celestia directly manipulating the sun

But if we it were that Celestia and Luna were just grand deceivers i think their whole reputation would crumble and people would begin to wonder if they were really as powerful as they say. soon a total revolution would commence and all of Equestria would try to overthrow the ruling sisters in an epic battle that would be told by generations of ponies

I toyed with that idea in the past. MLP conspiracy theories intrigue me, regardless of their plausibility. Here are a few things I posted in the past:

The Alicorn master race's powers and immortality arise not from biological or magical superiority, but from advanced technology that originated from the democratic world beyond Equestria's borders. The sun/moon-raising does not actually take place; instead, it is a means of propaganda to further strengthen Celestia's cult of personality.

Equestria is a crapsaccharine dystopia in which science and technology are heavily regulated. Advanced technology comes from highly developed foreign nations. Effective communications or transportation is restricted. Alicorn power and immortality are the result of cutting edge foreign technology. To the rest of the world, Equestria is a backward, oppressive rogue state whose citizens have never known democracy.

The idea is fun to play with, but it's quite unlikely that it's the case. From what we've seen, there's no real reason for the rulers to set up such a conspiracy.

It is important to note that unicorns that were around before Luna and Celestia were able to move the sun and moon which was their important duty while the pegasus controlled the weather. The magic or teachings to move it may have been lost over time and remain only in Celestia and Luna.

The conspiracy that they're using this for power seems a bit odd because then how was Luna able to keep it night time throughout the entire first and two episodes and Celestia wasn't able to raise the sun? They couldn't have planned it because there was a possibility for the six mane to fail their task and it would become morning anyway... thus showing that Celestia and Luna were quacks. So yeah I'm sure they control the sun and moon.

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 3

A few weeks ago I there was a small discussion on the nations of the show's world on /mlp/. I can not remember exactly, but one anon brought up a point that the whole Luna raises the moon and Celestia raises the sun thing could be false (similar to how ancient rulers would claim to have divine and magical powers).

Can't think of much more to say, so what do you think?

You mean similar to the way the pharaohs used to claim they were living gods?

Its an intriguing idea, although I can't think of how none of the citizenry haven't figured it out by now. There is a little evidence to support the idea though when Nightmare Moon was banished Celestia took it upon herself to control the cycle of the moon... but perhaps she said that just so the common rabble won't twig to the fact they don't need the Princesses.

Damn that sounds like quite a good fan fic right there.

• Brohoof 1

What, are you saying they're figure heads? There's someone more powerful? This may very well be. But until we see him/her, I won't believe it.

• Brohoof 1

In my own head canon, Celestia and Luna are alien/angelic beings who came to Equestria in ancient pony times to guide the primitive ponies toward enlightenment. The whole rising and setting of the moon and sun could be left over from those times. This is why Alicorns like Cadance and now Twilight look markedly different. Celestia and Luna are a species other than pony. Twilight's ascending may be part of their plan of eventually being able to return to their own world, once Equestria is civilized enough to stand on it's own without them.

Am I reading way too much into this? 

• Brohoof 1

In my own head canon, Celestia and Luna are alien/angelic beings who came to Equestria in ancient pony times to guide the primitive ponies toward enlightenment. The whole rising and setting of the moon and sun could be left over from those times. This is why Alicorns like Cadance and now Twilight look markedly different. Celestia and Luna are a species other than pony. Twilight's ascending may be part of their plan of eventually being able to return to their own world, once Equestria is civilized enough to stand on it's own without them.

Am I reading way too much into this? 

Overthinking things is fun. You should see some of the Pokemon conspiricies, they're even more far-fetched (or really, just awesome, outside the box thinking). But yeah, you are reading too much into it, there is nothing wrong with that though.

You mean similar to the way the pharaohs used to claim they were living gods?

Its an intriguing idea, although I can't think of how none of the citizenry haven't figured it out by now. There is a little evidence to support the idea though when Nightmare Moon was banished Celestia took it upon herself to control the cycle of the moon... but perhaps she said that just so the common rabble won't twig to the fact they don't need the Princesses.

Damn that sounds like quite a good fan fic right there.

Mind if I do use that  as a fic idea?

It is important to note that unicorns that were around before Luna and Celestia were able to move the sun and moon which was their important duty while the pegasus controlled the weather. The magic or teachings to move it may have been lost over time and remain only in Celestia and Luna.

The conspiracy that they're using this for power seems a bit odd because then how was Luna able to keep it night time throughout the entire first and two episodes and Celestia wasn't able to raise the sun? They couldn't have planned it because there was a possibility for the six mane to fail their task and it would become morning anyway... thus showing that Celestia and Luna were quacks. So yeah I'm sure they control the sun and moon.

I never thought of that. Perfect idea for a fanfic there; unicorns once know how to raise the sun and moon, but the practice was lost over the years once the princesses took over. Overthinking for the win!

I toyed with that idea in the past. MLP conspiracy theories intrigue me, regardless of their plausibility. Here are a few things I posted in the past:The idea is fun to play with, but it's quite unlikely that it's the case. From what we've seen, there's no real reason for the rulers to set up such a conspiracy.

"alicorn master race", not "earth pony master race"

You're doing it wrong.

But in all seriousness, those are some really cool theories you came up with. Plan on coming up with more any time soon?

Well in the episode Hearts warming eve, we learn that unicorns had to use their magic for both the sun and the moon. So most likely their powers are true and they can control the sun and moon. 

Well, if this theory was true, the raising of the sun and moon are natural processes like in the real world. So maybe the unicorns-rose-the-sun-and-moon thing are just lies as well. If so, you have to wonder what Luna and Celestia are thinking. I'm too much of an idiot to make up a plausible conclusion though.