Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I highly encourage everyone to get involved with their local brony community.

Zenoctilles

After reading how 3/4 of bronies have never been to a meetup on the new census today, I would encourage that everyone here to get involved with their local brony community, if possible.

Through bronies, I've met a lot of really awesome people that I am friends with outside of the fan club. I've met alumni from the university that I attend, met people from the profession I want to pursue, etc. Truly, one of the most rewarding things about being a brony was connecting with people through the shared interest in MLP: FiM. 

Hence, which is why I encourage everyone to be part of some brony IRL community. 

Edited by Zenoctilles
  • Brohoof 12

I'm probably going to try to do this in two years once I'm in college. Right now I'm in high school, and I'm too afraid of any of the less mature students choosing to bully me if I ever revealed that I was a brony to anyone other than my friends.

• Brohoof 1

You know, every time I try to go to one of the meetups something really stupid happens like I suddenly don't have enough cash for bus fare, I'm suddenly stuck babysitting kids, or apparently the meetup is too dangerous (which is stupid and I'm freaking 19, but I live with my parents so I can't argue with them.)

I'm most likely going to a brony campout on the 31'st if I can arrange things correctly, so hey I'm on the right track!

• Brohoof 2

Eh i would be i'm only 15 and don't have much of a way to get to such things except though my parents, who probably wouldn't pay for it anyways. Besides I'm a closet brony so that makes things even more difficult. I haven't told a soul really IRL. People are just going to be to judgmental about it at my school, and I see almost no hope for any bronies in my school.

That said alot of the conventions are expensive anyways, and far away from me, and again my parents don't know and probably wouldn't take me to such things.

Maybe when I'm out of the house on my own possibly, not for now though.

• Brohoof 2

I guess I will get involved at some point. But a lot of people in my high school would judge me anyway, if I move to another city or country with bronies I will get involved automatically.

you are so darn right, man...

I was talking to a friend here on the forums, not any bronys I know about in my town, but in most bigger cities there are meet-ups. I had my finals the last weeks, so I was a bit stressed and stuff, but dang it, I need to meet up with those guys. The only bronies I hang out with are the 2 old friends of mine I "made"...

I wish I could at all. There is no local brony community to start with. But dang, do I want a meetup, or heck, even a camping trip, now that sounds like fun eh? happy.png

Biggest problem will be getting past my parents and people in school. Although that census also showed that most bronies have told others that they are bronies and that they wear brony merchandise with pride, it won't convince me to do it myself. Believe me, if I could I would, but as I have said in an entirely different thread, admitting to watching MLP to anyone here (that is my local community/high school) is like comitting social suicide, even if my social life is non-existent.

Guess for now a meetup, camping trip, convention or anything will stay a dream for now.,.. for at least the coming 4-5 years, as I most likely won't be moving out before that.

Edited by WhiteLightning

I'm really tempted to go to BUCK 2013, but I'm not sure if I can save up enough money for tickets + travel costs etc. There would also be the case of telling my friends and family that I'm a brony, which i never want to do if possible. With the exception of maybe one friend, I could see myself getting judged badly for it.

As far as just meeting up in the local area, It'd be nice to meet other bronies IRL but I mean... what would we do? Just go to a pub and chat about ponies? After the introductory bro-hoof things could get awkward quite quickly... At least at a convention, there's tons of people and loads of stuff going on.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm idk I've heard meet ups were pretty sketchy these days... 

What do you mean by sketchy? I don't see how a meetup could hurt, I mean, of course it would be more fun and maybe just a bit safer when doing it with friends instead of strangers, but I have no choice as there are no IRL brony friends to meet up with.

When is it and where is it? I havent heard about this "BUCK" thing till now lol 

It's in Manchester in the UK on August 23rd I believe. It'd be my first ever convention for anything, but I'd have to go alone since I don't have any brony friends.

I'm trying to create more bronies in my school. Since I'm the only pegasister in any of my classes. It's not really working, but xD ummm... Some of my friends are possibly becoming fans of the show. Im trying to start a brony club xD

Oh yeah well with friends thats cool, before I would do a meet up I 'd , make sure I know the person first, and I might bring a friend along with me too...

Well yes of course, I'm not gonna go to a meetup without getting to know one or more of the persons who will be there first. Bringing a friend along is the hard part though. The very hard part....

Though a common interest is a good place to start making friends, it isn't everything. Most of the brony friends I've made online we hit it of in a lot more ways then that. It was like ponies is just what got us in the same place at the same time to meet.

I wouldn't mind going to cons though, but I live in the middle of Iowa.  

Lol i dont think its that bad... I mean don't you know any local bronies that might wanna tag along with you who are your friends as well?

That's where the problem is. I dropped references everywhere, searched on the web a bit, looked around in school, everything, but no bronies to be found in my area except me. There must be more, I could almost say I know there are, but they're nowhere to be found and I'm put bluntly too afraid of going out wearing a brony shirt or merchandise, not even a wristband.

(Well the quoting system messed up twice there, or most likely just me derpy_emoticon2.png )

Edited by WhiteLightning

Im no expert, but isn't Iowa mainly rural? Must be pretty hard to find other bronies especially in places like there lllllllll

The place I live is considered the video game capital of the world, so you would think it would be a geek paradise, but it's really rather bland and stuffy at times. 

I have a brony club at my university.

So far I have attended every meeting.

In my community there is a group of bronies outside the university. They have a website for meetups and stuff. I may go to one one day.

My university didn't have a brony club, so I decided to make one. Put flyers up linking to a Facebook page. So far there's 7 likes, which is a decent start for only a handful of flyers in 2 weeks. I'll keep putting more up, building the online community, and then we can move onto real life meetings from there.

Not only am I involved in my local brony community, but I'm actually building it. ;)

i'll be honest, i'd be too shy. ; ^ ; maybe i could go with a friend to a meet-up at a convention. i've been around many many fans before, but i always feel really out of place. there are many boys who are fans of the show, and i end up being 1 of maybe 2 or 3 girls in the room. watching the show and drawing the character style is so much fun, and i enjoy it so much. but i feel a wall between myself and the male fans. maybe i couldn't be a brony because i'm not a bro? i was told there's a term for female fans...but i've forgotten what it was. ; ^ ;

Edited by starlight_wish

I actually converted a few of my friends to the herd by just talking with them about it.  But you gotta know which ones to share MLP too.  Try doing the same by talking with some of your friends that wont judge MLP. That's what I did.  But theyre at the point where they would join MLP forums and all of that... yet 

Well, there's the second problem really... I don't have any friends that I trust enough to tell them. Basically, the only friends I have are the ones you see every once in a while, and all you do is say hi to eachother, and well, that's it. 

I know I'm sounding like I'm semi-depressed and unwilling to do something about this but that's just the facts.

i'll be honest, i'd be too shy. ; ^ ; maybe i could go with a friend to a meet-up at a convention. i've been around many many fans before, but i always feel really out of place. there are many boys who are fans of the show, and i end up being 1 of maybe 2 or 3 girls in the room. watching the show and drawing the character style is so much fun, and i enjoy it so much. but i feel a wall between myself and the male fans. maybe i couldn't be a brony because i'm not a bro? i was told there's a term for female fans...but i've forgotten what it was. ; ^ ;

I think the term you're looking for is 'pegasister'. However, in this case, the word 'bro' in 'brony' applies for both genders, so in the end what you want to call yourself is your own choice.

Naa i understand. Sometimes i feel the same way. But i guess thats how it is, and what youre doing is being real about it. Good stuff, bro.

Alright ^^ Glad you understand. But yeah, that's how it is for me. Life as a Dutch brony I guess.

I wish I could at all. There is no local brony community to start with. But dang, do I want a meetup, or heck, even a camping trip, now that sounds like fun eh? 

I have the same issue. I'm military on a post that is an hours drive at least from anything not really related to the post or its local communities, but I have a hellofa time trying to find any other Military bronies here, most of us are very shut in about it, because its less of a 'you like ponies teehee' thing, and more of a 'You like ponies? Get down and beat your face' kinda thing. 

That and the few i have spoken too about it become WAAY to defensive to even listen to me talk about it let alone give it a shot.

I would if there were any community here... sad.png

Denmark is not the most common place for bronies to be... I don't know any bronies IRL and I think I'm one of the only bronies in my city.

foreveralone.png

I doubt there are ANY bronys in my hometown. Hardly anyone in my grade knows what a brony is, that was untill a friend of mine did a presintation on bronys. Now you moght be thinking "oh god how bad was it" well it was fine. He wasnt for bronys nor hated bronys. All he really said was it was men who liked the 3 generation of the show. Anyway i still think im the only one here

I haven't been to a meet-up, but I've been to one convention: Equestria LA, which I am now a new staff member at. :) I feel bad for fellow bronies who don't live close enough to other fans. :( Good luck, everyone!