Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Isolating yourself from others?

Gone Airbourne

8 hours ago, Sir Hugsalot said:

Self-imposed isolation is what led my mind to slow, but steady decay. 

The scary part is that it wasn't some well thought and planned process, in fact, I was completely unaware of what am I doing for a long time, thinking my life is not changing at all, when in fact I was changing and not for the better. I became more prone to negative thoughts, my passions begun to dwindle, I was, to be perfectly blunt, forgetting myself. 

Other people allow me to broaden my own horizons. I hear their thoughts, see their visions, embrace their passions and that, in turn, enhances my own. I want to make them happy and have fun with them and, naturally, I become happier myself. Any dark thoughts that may want to take the front fails to do so. 

And the best part? It may look like I just burden myself with company leaving no room for myself. That statement couldn't be further from truth. I have plenty time for things I love doing, for peace and quiet, a nice book, guitar practice, relaxing walk, gaming etc. I have balance, to make it short. 

Without others, in isolation, where only few could reach me my mind was stagnating, lacking new ideas and inspiration. And I say it as a person leaning more towards introvertism. 

I can't say that it's how it would work for everyone, but based on my recent experience when I begun opening myself to others again - this is how an isolation affected me. I just can't allow myself to be isolated ever again.

I have an isolation problem too, some skills have been non-existent for me, learning new grammar being one of them:awed:  

44 minutes ago, Props ValRoa said:

Friendship isn't something you just say out in the open and fool around in status updates, it's a bond forged by trust on both sides over a long timeframe. 

I can't change how other people act - so I can only focus on my own actions above all else. 

Friendship is not taken seriously by many, it can be an intensely intimate bond that can't be faked or mimicked... It's not always just about being nice and compassionate it's about not only understanding but helping someone else understand. Real friends disagree, they don't need the worlds social validation of their friendship, a lot of people have to express their feelings for their friends for the world to see as if they are looking for our validation, as if they aren't validated enough by each other... true friends don't need the approval of others in regards to their friendships, they support and understand one another, an "Ally" is not always a friend, sharing interests, opinions, and tastes don't make people friends, friendship is more intimate than that, it's a way that people can connect and identify in a way that they feel inherently others can not understand or respect... friendship is a show of patience, loyalty, and cooperation, real friends know your fears, your goals, your insecurities, your prejudices, your philosophy... They KNOW YOU, and if this friendship is really as deep and prominent as you claim it to be you wouldn't need to tout each other around publicly like trophy dogs for the superficial approval of the general public... it's like people like exclusivity and validation more than they like their friends themselves... Friendship is complicated, it isn't as simple as, be nice, nod your head and agree, and join an echo chamber of relative yesmen... Nah friends challenge you, they support you, they encourage you, they know your fears and seek to protect you from them but not only that they wish to see you triumphant over them... Friendship is one of this world's most important sentiments as it is a literal symbol of your convictions, and tolerance, your trust and your patience, and I will NEVER turn my back on a "true true friend". You make these choices of who is important and who is not, we are all in our own miniature tribes... Friendship is true brotherhood and sisterhood that transcends flowery words and PDA, and shared narratives, it's a bond that lasts FOREVER if it's TRUE... And if you think otherwise maybe you haven't found a true friend, just other yesmen seeking conformity and validation... 

img_1_1667548000105.jpg

Edited by Spook Conundrum
  • Brohoof 1

@Spook Conundrum

I've never seen Full Metal Alchemist but that's definitely a great and impactful moment there. In a world that is only getting harder to live, having true friends support you is something that money can't buy, nor can status or fame. I've had many "friends" over the years turn out to be fakes. Entire groups turned their backs on me for things that never happened. Even multiple year long friendships were ruined because of other people's treachery. While I was never perfect, they were the ones who chose to throw away friendship over petty problems that they started. In a way, I thank those people for teaching me what true friendship is, even if I had to suffer through with what they did to me. 

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Props ValRoa said:

@Spook Conundrum

I've never seen Full Metal Alchemist but that's definitely a great and impactful moment there. In a world that is only getting harder to live, having true friends support you is something that money can't buy, nor can status or fame. I've had many "friends" over the years turn out to be fakes. Entire groups turned their backs on me for things that never happened. Even multiple year long friendships were ruined because of other people's treachery. While I was never perfect, they were the ones who chose to throw away friendship over petty problems that they started. In a way, I thank those people for teaching me what true friendship is, even if I had to suffer through with what they did to me. 

Oh my, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is probably objectively the greatest piece of animation ever developed for human eyes ever made, find time for it some day... 

I know what it's like to be superficial, and popular, and be surrounded by chemicals and glamor, to be the life and personality of the party, to bask in attention and intrigue, it's not all it's cracked up to be and I chose to leave this lifestyle upon my own Accord, it's not real, it's an illusionary feel good, these people are fake, it's all a facade, it's all about self promotions of narcissism made to delude others the gravity of our importance, but it's more or less self importance, like I said in my post, WE CHOOSE who is or isn't important to us, its OUR choice, and this puts a lot of emphasis on what Ling explains to Greed, bro, it's like ",these are the part of you, that YOU chose to prioritize, how could you turn your back on them?! You once loved them, and you know that you REALLY STILL DO..." It's what makes Greed such a complex character, he inherently cares despite his persona, it's unchangeable bc he values the sentiment of true friendship deeply...

• Brohoof 1

@Spook Conundrum

I never really cared about popularity or being the face everyone sees. Doesn't matter to me. Sometimes it's much better to be a fly on the wall, and yeah, that's exactly true. Just because someone seems rational or like minded - that doesn't mean that they are. 

3 minutes ago, Props ValRoa said:

@Spook Conundrum

I never really cared about popularity or being the face everyone sees. Doesn't matter to me. Sometimes it's much better to be a fly on the wall, and yeah, that's exactly true. Just because someone seems rational or like minded - that doesn't mean that they are. 

"Rational" is a matter of perspective, if you get raped or assaulted "irrational fears" to some seem a whole lot more rational to the person who has been a direct victim of an attack or abuse..."rational" is also circumstantial as it can pertain to desperation and situational awareness, it becomes very "rational" for the beggar to steal when nobody gives him his daily bread... circumstances can't always be controlled by ourselves.. and being "like minded" isn't what makes someone "rational", like I said sometimes friends disagree for very rational reasons, see MLP "Over a Barrel", the world isn't as easy as, "oh you agree with me you are the rational mind" no no no, it takes communication, cooperation, concessions, understanding, patience and ultimately a willingness to see when we ourselves are being irrational.. it's just in this prideful world none of us want to be told we are wrong, none of us want to be told how to live our lives and there is to much hypocrisy often times for us to choose to be the bigger person... I don't blame people for holding prejudice grudges, and they shouldn't blame me, it's as "rational" for the cat to eat the mouse as it is for the mouse to run... the real world isn't as simple as believing that appearing mature by being linguistically manipulative makes you the objectively "rational" party, nah a lot of angry emotional people have insightful things to say, things that are true, things that matter, it's how we conduct ourselves in our ability to freely speak in public discourse in these opinions that determines our maturity level, it's our own patience with a situation that we can't control, that dictates whether or not we ever will be able to at all...

• 1 year later...

There are times where I did isolate myself from most people, not out of any malice, but due to complete lack of energy and motivation to socialize. 

• Brohoof 1

I have loner tendencies that mean that I can easily isolate myself without evening thinking about it. I lose so many friends because I never reach out. It's probably a large reason I'm single, too. I don't put myself out there, so to speak. Oh well. Being in my space, with lots of space from others is my happy place. That's not to say that I don't enjoy socializing or being in the presence of others, but I need lots of time to myself to recharge, and just tend to default to being reclusive.

Whatever one can say about being a loner, it sure helped me out during the pandemic.

• Brohoof 2

I can say its the story of my life, I love to isolate from others IRL, people dont usually understand me so if I have to be social ill be social online

On 2024-02-04 at 9:41 PM, Envy said:

I have loner tendencies that mean that I can easily isolate myself without evening thinking about it. I lose so many friends because I never reach out. It's probably a large reason I'm single, too. I don't put myself out there, so to speak. Oh well. Being in my space, with lots of space from others is my happy place. That's not to say that I don't enjoy socializing or being in the presence of others, but I need lots of time to myself to recharge, and just tend to default to being reclusive.

Whatever one can say about being a loner, it sure helped me out during the pandemic.

If they knew, they'd probably know just to reach out to you every now and then, just not super frequently :wacko: .

(edited)

This is a thing I have to deal with myself a lot because I travel a lot for long periods of time for my career but my husband and other family does not. When I am in North America for work my family is still home in Europe, so I'm here by myself for months at a time. I've learned to appreciate the time away, but the older I get the harder it is to not have my family around me. Especially as things get more tense around the world from politics to environmental issues. I get stressed about these things really easy and it's hard to put myself at ease without being around my husband. I call him daily but sometimes it's not enough to stop the restlessness. I do have family here in the United States as well, but we're not as close.

I do feel sympathy for anyone who feels like they have to self-isolate because they don't have any other option. It's a hard thing to do when you have the choice, even harder when you don't.

Edited by Sunset Rose
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...