Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Isolating yourself from others?

Gone Airbourne

The reason I bring this up is because I have been feeling this way for the past couple of days now. Have you ever felt times such as this where you have wanted to isolate yourself to others for whatever reason? I know this may sound strange/odd to you but is feeling like this a cause of lack of self confidence or a form a of depression? I don't know it just feels as if I cannot find joy in anything as odd as that may sound :(....

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne
  • Brohoof 5

There have been times for me where I got so depressed it was hard to be around other people. I usually am really good about suppressing feelings around others so it has to be really bad for me to start avoiding people. 

Is there something that happened that caused this? If you need someone to talk to I'm here for you bud, I might be able to help.  

• Brohoof 1

Trust me brother,I know that feel.Been feeling like that myself lately,especially when I'm alone.Definitely seems like to be caused from depression if you ask me,since I always want to isolate myself when I'm depressed.It's very enticing to either isolate myself or commit suicide during these phases.Just...be rid of it all one way or another,y'know?

But I press on.Because to just "give up" on life like that isn't what you do for those who you care about.You stick it out for them,and take comfort in knowing that despite whatever's going on,you know you got people who care and love about you.And to isolate yourself from them or consider suicide is definitely not going to help.As hard as it might be to believe in these dark moments of our lives,that's the truth of things.Hell,you even got a stranger over the internet trying to help you out of this funk.That's gotta be worth something,for sure.

Besides,you don't really want to isolate yourself from everybody.If you really did want to isolate yourself,I don't think you'd be posting on here right now.You just need to get out of this funk is all.Talk it over with somebody,be it  over here,one of your other friends on here,me,a random stranger,or hell,even one of your IRL friends.We're all here for ya,mate.And whatever happens,I wish you the best of luck to get through this funk. smile.png

• Brohoof 2

This is a part of something called Dysthymic Depression. It's a very small state of depression that occurs in certain people at, really, any time of their lives. Don't be alarmed by it, but if you have suicidal thoughts, you should definitely consult someone.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think the OP is talking about suicide (At least I hope he/she isn't) Just a feeling of wanting to be alone which is perfectly natural IMO. Everybody gets down once and a while, no problem with wanting to be alone. Just don't let yourself stay there. If you feel like your in a slump force yourself out of it. Reminds me of that movie The Phantom Toll Booth where the main character gets stuck in the dull drums and can't seem to get out. Anyway watch that movie if you haven't seen it lol. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think the OP is talking about suicide (At least I hope he/she isn't) Just a feeling of wanting to be alone which is perfectly natural IMO. Everybody gets down once and a while, no problem with wanting to be alone. Just don't let yourself stay there. If you feel like your in a slump force yourself out of it. Reminds me of that movie The Phantom Toll Booth where the main character gets stuck in the dull drums and can't seem to get out. Anyway watch that movie if you haven't seen it lol. 

He probably isn't,but I've seen people who want to be alone actually end up being suicidal (myself included).I'd just rather not take that chance and just go "It's totally natural to want to be alone" (which it totally is) when it turns out he might possibly be,y'know?

Jesus,I worry too much sometimes.

• Brohoof 2

I too have isolated myself from people. Half of the time it was because i was depressed and felt like life and myself did not matter. The other times when i isolated myself from people it was out of malice since people generally annoy me.

• Brohoof 1

He probably isn't,but I've seen people who want to be alone actually end up being suicidal (myself included).I'd just rather not take that chance and just go "It's totally natural to want to be alone" (which it totally is) when it turns out he might possibly be,y'know?

Jesus,I worry too much sometimes.

Yeah no I hear you. Good to be on the safe side. Just wanted to say that it is ok and that lots of people feel that way. Especially if the OP is younger and not used to these kinds of feelings. The likes of which come and go with the tides of life. 

• Brohoof 1

I tend to naturally isolate myself from others because interactions with people tend to make me anxious.  However, there is definitely a difference between, "Oh, it's nice to be alone right now," and, "I really need to be alone right now."  In the second case, I can typically just wait it out and it will go away eventually.

• Brohoof 1

I feel like that all the time, OP.

I guess it's just because I'm introverted in nature, but if you're feeling that all of the sudden after being the normal people person that you are, it seems like you might be going through something.

Maybe it would be a good idea to actually isolate yourself. You might need a break from society for a bit. That could just be the "recharging" mindset I have that's talking, but you could try.

• Brohoof 2

I've always isolated myself from other people.

Why spend my time with people who judge me? Why spend time with people who might hurt my feelings?

Why do that, when I can spend my time with books, video games, and technology? They don't hurt me, they don't judge me, why not just spend my time with them? Why subject myself to the crap other people cause me?

Edited by Urdnot Snail
  • Brohoof 2

I know this feeling far too well. Honestly, I am almost ALWAYS isolated from others, mostly non-internet wise. I do not leave my house much at all and I am incredibly anti-social, due to Aspergers Syndrome and extreme social anxiety. Yeah, my social life is a bit of a wreck. I truly want more friends, but I always feel inferior to others due to my many problems. It is very complicated.... :(

• Brohoof 2

I isolate myself from everyone else minus school. Not because of depression, but because I'm generally anti-social. Give me a few friends to contact, and a room with all of my favorite things, and I'm set.

Edited by New Moon
  • Brohoof 1

I've isolated myself for a long time now, I just see no reason to go out in public 90% of the time anymore, plus I rarely have any friends.

Hurp durp, I'm the human North Korea.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I just wanted to say thank you for each of your responses to this. A lot of times for me I have to get things out and just talking to others about things helps me out a lot. I guess I am just going through a low point right now you know how life tends to fluctuate up and down (like a roller coaster). But reading you responses has helped me a lot and I appreciate it a lot smile.png

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne
  • Brohoof 5

Yeah I've had that feeling before, especially back before watching MLP where I was much more depressed more frequently, and it was more extreme, thankfully since I've started watching MLP i've had less and less of those.

Sometimes I just have this streak of time maybe only 5 minutes maybe a day or so where I just don't like people and don't want to interact with them, maybe because I lost my faith in people, or something happened between me and someone who knows.

This happened kinda when I lost my bestfriend a couple years back when he got new friends, heck between that and being homeschooled I really didn't have any IRL friends for almost a year. I spent my time with games and some online friends thankfully who while not the nicest kept me from going totally insane.

I don't think long term isolation is good really, but sometimes a bit of solitude is a good thing.

And just so you know if theres anything going up that you need to talk about Airbourne, I'm here :). Feel free to PM me on here or skype or something if you need to talk, as long as i'm at my computer I should be able to answer, if not I'll try to get back to it as soon as I can.

Good luck Airbourne, hope you feel better :).

• Brohoof 1

Of course. I only have three IRL friends, and I haven't seen any of them in a long time. My only friends are on the internet, and I don't like talking to people I don't know out in the world. The only friends I've made have been through accident.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with it being entirely about personal choice and preference. I personally have never talked to anyone as much as I do on this forum. Even when in the Field with the Infantry the guys I serve with knew Doc Ginger was the quiet one with a book or notepad. I've never felt the need to act upon any minor inconveniences or depression I have ever felt and seldom felt the peace I do when by myself at dawn or dusk. 

Some people are just not that social and prefer time with a book or by themselves, (then again, some people are addicted to the internet and have lost all sense of real life. yeah you, get off the computer every once in a while.) 

• Brohoof 1

Everyone has their moments where they crave solitude. You may just be maturing, or maybe you do have a disassociative disorder (unlikely, considering it's just been the past few days).

Really, you probably just want space to yourself for a bit. Perfectly natural wish.

• Brohoof 1

When I get depressed or sad I usually avoid everyone I can unless I'm at work. But sometimes I do it even when I'm not depressed. I don't know sometimes I just feel the need to be by myself.

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to be honest. I don't really ever talk or hang out with others unless I ether have to or I'm in some exotic mood. Even during school, I just get my work done and leave. I do have IRL friends of course, I just don't care being in groups of people. That and you NEED IRL friends here, they can really help you get out of bad situations. 

Edited by Retro✮Derpy
  • Brohoof 1

You're definitely not alone.

I just got over a mood that I had been in these last few days where simply being around people annoyed me. I wasn't depressed or anything, I just didn't want to be around people at all. And it was the littlest things too that annoyed me. People walking next to me on the way to class? Annoyed. The campus store being crowded? Annoyed.

Not sure why I feel this way. But sometimes I just get into a mood where I just don't want to deal with people at all.

Sometimes, people just want a space to themselves. There's nothing wrong with that.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't talked to an in real life friend outside of school for a very long time now...

Well, I got all of you here! You are nicer than them, anyway...

• Brohoof 1

Isolation isn’t necessarily a bad thing.  Taking time to get away from people/places/things can do wonders for one’s mental well-being.  Of course, it can also have negative effects, but that’s all a part of the game.  You just have to figure out what works best for you.