Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Derpy?

Gripp540

VERY OT: I actually really like Boba Fett. To borrow the phrase, he's a total BAMF.

Ahem. Moving on.

I agree that most fanfics don't use Derpy to their advantage, they just sort of throw her into the Mane Six with no logical reasoning besides "she's Derpy". And that misses the essence of Derpy.

I love reading fanfics and finding Derpy in the descriptions though. It's the same way I felt about seeing her inside the snowglobe in A Friend In Deed.

I think this is why I feel I don't get it... she doesn't feel right in the group without some pre-story... they just throw her in and it feels less real to me. They can have Rarity's expressions spot on, and know everything RD might say but then Derpy is just there.

It's also the history of Derpy.  Find her in the first or second episode, that animation error was unintentional, but everyone saw it and it became a huge meme.  The writers acknowledged our love for the Derpy and put her randomly in the background, kind of like a where's Waldo kind of thing.

Alot including myself of people like Derpy because she is seen as different due to her wall eyes and clumsy, child like nature. This makes her a very relatable character to a lot of people who are seen as different due to a disability or perhaps some other reason and many of them recognize the potential Derpy has to be used in a way to reach out to people who are seen as different. The Derpy controversy really saddened me because Derpy could have been a great teaching moment about how it is okay to be different and how you shouldn't jump to conclusions after all we need to remember that it hasn't been confirmed one way or another that Derpy is mentally challenged. My own personal head cannon is that she is not mentally challenged but is falsely perceived as being mentally challenged.

As someone who is physically disabled, I can relate to Derpy in that way. I imagine that she doesn't have many friends due to other people thinking she's weird or she's mentally handicapped (like the soccer moms think she is). Sadly, the lesson of not jumping to conclusions/getting to know someone before you judge them just because they're different was already covered in "Bridle Gossip," but given the writing talent behind this show, that doesn't mean the writers couldn't have easily come up with something for Derpy. How cute would it be for Rainbow Dash to defend both her and Fluttershy from those jerks who kept calling her 'Rainbow Crash." That would be such a sweet, heartwarming moment. Sadly, it doesn't look as if we'll get to see something like that in the show, but that would make for a good fanfic. 

• Brohoof 1

Sadly, the lesson of not jumping to conclusions/getting to know someone before you judge them just because they're different was already covered in "Bridle Gossip," but given the writing talent behind this show, that doesn't mean the writers couldn't have easily come up with something for Derpy.

True, but Bridle Gossip dealt mainly with racism which is of course important and though we have come a long way on still need to improve on. It seriously disgusts me how much hatred there is toward Muslims for example, they are like the new black people in a way. But even some people who know better on racism can still unfairly judge people with disabilities or other differences real or perceived. As someone who grew up with Autism I due to having difficulty understanding many basic social rules was often treated like I was some deranged mental patient by my fellow students and some of them even assumed I was retarded even though I was on the honor roll in middle school and took several honors and AP classes in high school.

There are millions of people just like me that are going through the same thing which is why I want Derpy to have her own episode so badly because even if she may not have any disability aside from her eyes and clumsiness because she is likely seen as different by other ponies if it can help even a little bit than it is worth it.

• Brohoof 2

Her crossed eyes definitely sell her.

Had she just been a regular pony she would still be liked but not even as much. Not to mention a lot of the little jokes they have been giving her are great. Especially since they seem to keep with the general ideas the fandom presented for her. Such as muffins and her "relationship" with Dr.Whooves

True, but Bridle Gossip dealt mainly with racism which is of course important and though we have come a long way on still need to improve on. It seriously disgusts me how much hatred there is toward Muslims for example, they are like the new black people in a way. But even some people who know better on racism can still unfairly judge people with disabilities or other differences real or perceived. As someone who grew up with Autism I due to having difficulty understanding many basic social rules was often treated like I was some deranged mental patient by my fellow students and some of them even assumed I was retarded even though I was on the honor roll in middle school and took several honors and AP classes in high school.

There are millions of people just like me that are going through the same thing which is why I want Derpy to have her own episode so badly because even if she may not have any disability aside from her eyes and clumsiness because she is likely seen as different by other ponies if it can help even a little bit than it is worth it.

I was never real popular in school either and it is really disgusting how some races are so oftentimes stereotyped. I agree that Muslims have pretty much become the new race to bash on. It's nothing new, really, but it is amazing that long after Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech, there is still racism running rampant in our country, which is why I would also like Derpy to have her own episode. It would be a great lesson for the others to learn and it would be nice to see her interacting with Dashie some more. 

In the same sense, an episode where Rainbow Dash learns that it's okay to be scared and admit you're scared sometimes (I don't they've done an episode centered on this yet). Basically, it would be somewhat similar to "Sleepless in Ponyville", but it would still be a good lesson for her to learn. In both 'Dragonshy" and the aforementioned episode she acts like this fearless pony, yet when the dragon reacts violently to her kicking him, you can clearly tell that she's frightened by his reaction, hence why she flew out of the cave as fast as she did. Of course she would never admit any of this to her friends. Maybe it's just me, but she seems to put being brave over admitting her feelings, which she seems to have a tough time doing (see "Sonic Rainboom"). 

It's not self-insert exactly. It's missing the main reason Derpy's so popular. And usually there's no reason to include the character (I'm looking at you, Double Rainboom). She's not a bad character, but she's overused. She is the Boba Fett of MLP.

That was one thing that struck me as odd as well. Derpy just randomly appeared at a table trying to eat a muffin with Rainbow Dash constantly ruining it for her. Granted, it was funny, but it was completely unnecessary and was basically just used for filler. Aside from the animation and everything else that went into it, I really wish they would have developed a coherent, well-developed plot instead of doing a cross-over, but that is to be discussed for another day. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Not sure if I can add to what others have already said about our wall-eyed, muffin loving, dutiful mail delivery mare. 

From a professional review standpoint, I like the concept of Derpy being in the show because she's that oddball.  Even though she is clumsy, the other ponies accept the mare for who she is, and don't hate on her.  The scene where she spoke with Dash didn't give me any connotations of the atheltic pony being harsh towards Derpy.  Rainbow treated her like she would treat any other pony which was a great example, but most seemed to focus on the negative of Derpy's voice, and her actions plus the voice I guess, being "insulting" to those with mental disabilities.

I also see Derpy as a mare/pony that can be related to in some regards.  When I wrote my Derpy Delievers a Pizza story, finishing the last chapter, I researched her character and came upon a choice.  The fandom had given her 2 options where she was a drooling idiot who couldn't string 2 words together, or a devoted, dutiful pony who loves her daughter, Dinky, and has a run of bad luck.  This idea was further modified to where she was a "Space Cadet" where she's stupid, but not "drooling idiot" type stupid like we see with Patrick Star in Spongebob.  The 2nd option is where she isn't on the average level of your regular pony, but has enough intelligence to get by.  What Derpy lacks in the smarts department she makes up for in determination, guts, perseverance, and being a devoted mother with a bit of "child like innocence."

I picked the option between 1 and 2 where Derpy isn't going to win a Nobel prize, understand Quantum Mechanics, Advanced Genetic Hereditary Disords, and the like.  Instead, Derpy has enough smarts to get her by, and just makes poor choices in certain regards.  Example would be the dutiful mail mare wrapping up her cucumber and daisy Sub Sandwich in Aluminum foil, and then using a Blow Torch to heat her dinner up to melt the cheese a bit because the oven would take too long. 

Finally, I don't think many people are "obsessed" with Derpy, however they see her as the show crew nodding to the fans saying, "thanks for watching us and your praises.  We make this show great for kids and the fans."

Edited by Genepool
  • Brohoof 1

Not sure if I can add to what others have already said about our wall-eyed, muffin loving, dutiful mail delivery mare. 

From a professional review standpoint, I like the concept of Derpy being in the show because she's that oddball.  Even though she is clumsy, the other ponies accept the mare for who she is, and don't hate on her.  The scene where she spoke with Dash didn't give me any connotations of the atheltic pony being harsh towards Derpy.  Rainbow treated her like she would treat any other pony which was a great example, but most seemed to focus on the negative of Derpy's voice, and her actions plus the voice I guess, being "insulting" to those with mental disabilities.

I also see Derpy as a mare/pony that can be related to in some regards.  When I wrote my Derpy Delievers a Pizza story, finishing the last chapter, I researched her character and came upon a choice.  The fandom had given her 2 options where she was a drooling idiot who couldn't string 2 words together, or a devoted, dutiful pony who loves her daughter, Dinky, and has a run of bad luck.  This idea was further modified to where she was a "Space Cadet" where she's stupid, but not "drooling idiot" type stupid like we see with Patrick Star in Spongebob.  The 2nd option is where she isn't on the average level of your regular pony, but has enough intelligence to get by.  What Derpy lacks in the smarts department she makes up for in determination, guts, perseverance, and being a devoted mother with a bit of "child like innocence."

I picked the option between 1 and 2 where Derpy isn't going to win a Nobel prize, understand Quantum Mechanics, Advanced Genetic Hereditary Disords, and the like.  Instead, Derpy has enough smarts to get her by, and just makes poor choices in certain regards.  Example would be the dutiful mail mare wrapping up her cucumber and daisy Sub Sandwich in Aluminum foil, and then using a Blow Torch to heat her dinner up to melt the cheese a bit because the oven would take too long. 

Finally, I don't think many people are "obsessed" with Derpy, however they see her as the show crew nodding to the fans saying, "thanks for watching us and your praises.  We make this show great for kids and the fans."

She has a daughter? Where has it ever said that? Hmm that is interesting to me. 

I wish I didn't have to use 100 characters sometimes.

i like derpy because she is cute and funny. I think alot of the hype comes from the fact that she was a mistake and the animators turned her into a wheres waldo type of character. Also she has become a meme within the community.

Overrated as fuck.

Trust me, I don't like Derpy very much at all. Probably because of all the attention she gets. Besides, I already hate the "Muffin" meme. Screw Derpy, I like Princess Celestia, in fact, I pretty much like all the despised characters of the show.

• Brohoof 1

She has a daughter? Where has it ever said that? Hmm that is interesting to me. 

I wish I didn't have to use 100 characters sometimes.

It's not official , and more the fandom that says she has a daughter.  I believe it started with a filly during winter wrap up that had a similar mane color to Derpy, and, this not confirmed from what I know, her name was put as Dinky but she was a unicorn.  This created a bit of uniqueness that has been further extended because of the episode with the cake twins being a unicorn and pegasus pony that were born to a pair of earth pony parents.  Some say she's the daughter of another pony and Derpy takes care of Dinky, treasuring the little unicorn filly as if she were really her daughter, and other circumstances. 

For the sake of brevity in my story, I just say Dinky is Derpy's daughter. 

It's not official , and more the fandom that says she has a daughter.  I believe it started with a filly during winter wrap up that had a similar mane color to Derpy, and, this not confirmed from what I know, her name was put as Dinky but she was a unicorn.  This created a bit of uniqueness that has been further extended because of the episode with the cake twins being a unicorn and pegasus pony that were born to a pair of earth pony parents.  Some say she's the daughter of another pony and Derpy takes care of Dinky, treasuring the little unicorn filly as if she were really her daughter, and other circumstances. 

For the sake of brevity in my story, I just say Dinky is Derpy's daughter. 

The Cake twins are the cutest. All baby ponies are so cute. I think they are almost cuter than human babies... I say almost because my 10mo girl is the cutest baby ever... after her come baby ponies.lol

Well i like it very much because i think she is a cute character and very original.

even if she doesn't have a complete "character development" in the series i like her very much.

• Brohoof 1

Well, because we named her. When the bronies back in the early day of MLP saw the little cross eyed pegasi in the background, we called her Derpy. We sent Lauren emails about it, and she listened to us. She is the creation of bronies, and that's why I love her so much. Because we gave her a name, we gave her a voice, we gave her a personality. We bronies actually made a pony, and that's something to be proud of.

/)

• Brohoof 2

I can't even begin to imagine why the show's creators decided to change Derpy's voice after the episode aired. There was nothing really wrong with it. If anything, it just sounded worse after it was edited.

I have no idea either. As much as I hate Derpy, I really liked her original voice better than the new one. I feel like the old one is more fitting for the pony.

As for that, Rainbow Dash's lines should of been changed, not Derpy's. Hasbro is a bit supportive of censorship.

One thing I forgot to add about people who say we, as a fandom, only created Derpy to laugh at those with mental disabilities, I just wonder why there's a Derpibooru section filled with Dinky + Derpy that's titled Best Mother.

• 1 month later...

Lately I've been noticing that Derpy has been getting a lot of hate. Being called retarded, being judged by her eyes. They've even said she was ugly, and today my friend said she was removed from the show. I'm just here to confirm, is this true?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

They edited the original derpy voice because somebody found it offensive. I'm not sure if it was the general populace (doubtful) or one really pissed off media icon? Or maybe it was a writer? I dunno.

They didn't remove her, but her new sound-clip removes the 'implication' that she was mentally retarded.

If you ask me, I say anyone who thinks that the original derpy voice was offensive is ignorant. There's nothing wrong with having a 'mentally challenged' character in any media, unless you're blatantly bashing the fact that they have a mental disability, which was not the case here. The fact that they changed her voice is just an insult to mentally handicapped people everywhere IMO.

I love Derpy, regardless.

Edited by Tex
  • Brohoof 1

Lately I've been noticing that Derpy has been getting a lot of hate. Being called retarded, being judged by her eyes. They've even said she was ugly, and today my friend said she was removed from the show. I'm just here to confirm, is this true?

I've merged your thread about Derpy with an older one that also meant for discussing her. I decided to keep your title, though, since it sounds better.

I have seen so many people with her as an avatar. Or even read fan-fic that seemed to be great except they made her "part of the group." Even though I have watched all the episodes, I still don't even remember which ones she is even remotely in. I do not understand why so many people like this character., please explain. lol

Hmm, well i do find her adorable, nothing really more?

I don't understand the unbound love they have for these background ponies at all. 

post-14701-0-89378500-1367920114_thumb.jpg

I, myself wonder about the thought of why Derpy is so loved.

To me, she's just an ordinary background pony, just cross-eyed. There is really nothing special about her to me. People say she is cute...*clears throat* anybody can make a pony cute...Truthfully, they're already cute, so I don't see why people love her for being cute. People say she is unique, this I seriously don't understand. She is cross-eyed...but other than that, what else? 

I just don't understand the love people have for her. She's just an ordinary background pony, like the others.

I actually hate Derpy Hooves, mainly because of her 'hardcore' fans that post memes, fan art, fan fictions, etc... about her everywhere. In other words, spam her all over the internet. It truly is annoying and unappealing to me.

So my thoughts on Derpy Hooves? 

I dislike her.

• Brohoof 1