Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Solo Piano Piece

Antismurf9001

Here's a relatively short piano piece that I put together for composition lessons.  I was curious if anyone here had any thoughts on it.  Critiques are welcomed.  If it's useful to anyone to see a score, I can provide one.

Unfortunately, the provided recording is entirely computer-generated, since I don't play piano...

Composition and playback was done using Sibelius 7.  Some minor audio editing and conversion to MP3 was done using Peak LE 7.

Returning Home.mp3

EDIT: yes, I know that the name sucks.  It was the only thing that I could come up with...

Edited by Antismurf9001

I just listened to it; here's what I like about it.

+ Great choice of key for what I understand by your title signifies a return from quite a while spent from home. (Same key as the Skyrim theme tongue.png )

+ Great running theme throughout. The inter-changing of right and left hand was done well.

+ Each section was apparent and nothing was too repetitive.

Just a few things that could be improved:

- For the beginning, you might want to add chords in the left hand; sometimes it was unsure where your tonality was going and chords would make the cadences more apparent.

- Ending came a little too suddenly. What I take to be your outro/pre-outro seems like just a slower part of the piece.

And this is not your fault of course, but Sibelius does take a lot of the expression from the piece :3

Overall; 7.5/10. Great work!

Edited by Flipturn ツ
  • Brohoof 1

I just listened to it; here's what I like about it.

+ Great choice of key for what I understand by your title signifies a return from quite a while spent from home. (Same key as the Skyrim theme img-1364112-1-tongue.png )

+ Great running theme throughout. The inter-changing of right and left hand was done well.

+ Each section was apparent and nothing was too repetitive.

Just a few things that could be improved:

- For the beginning, you might want to add chords in the left hand; sometimes it was unsure where your tonality was going and chords would make the cadences more apparent.

- Ending came a little too suddenly. What I take to be your outro/pre-outro seems like just a slower part of the piece.

And this is not your fault of course, but Sibelius does take a lot of the expression from the piece :3

Overall; 7.5/10. Great work!

Thanks for the feedback!  It's really nice to hear the thoughts of another person (who isn't directly related to me and wouldn't actually critique my work if their lives depended on it...), especially one who obviously knows a thing or two about music.

I do wish that I could play piano so that I could get playback that isn't computer-generated...  While Sibelius is excellent compared to other software that I've heard, but nothing beats a live performance.

Again, thanks a lot for the feedback!

• Brohoof 1