Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Particle Physicist

WingMcCallister

I have no idea how many particle physicists are in Equestria, but I am one. Might as well get this ridiculousness started up ... for science! 

But here's a question for you: do neutrinos taste like purple? 

But here's a question for you: do neutrinos taste like purple? 

I've never trie neutrinos before, but someone said that they actually do.

Mmm... Can you explain a little bit about the M-theory? It'll be awesome to know about it from a pony :3

I've never trie neutrinos before, but someone said that they actually do.

Mmm... Can you explain a little bit about the M-theory? It'll be awesome to know about it from a pony :3

lolz, I'll try, but I'm an experimentalist, so dropping into theory will be full of bitterness. ;)

Essentially, M-theory is a multidimensional framework of our universe. The easiest way for me to explain why such theories arise is by talking about the fundamental interactions of matter.

You've got the strong nuclear force, electromagnetism, the weak nuclear force, and gravity. Gravity is by far the weakest of them all -- a fact that baffles many ponies when they first get told - but it's true. So one way to explain this difference is to say that gravity spreads over unseen dimensions where the other forces do not. Hence, gravity is spread thin in the dimensions we see. In the case of M-theory, there are 11. 

The problem with this is that testing such a theory is absurdly difficult. The finding of some physics beyond the Standard Model could indicate that some cool stuff is going down, but we'd need some Doctor Whooves magic -- or some excellent muffins -- to probe those dimensions. 

Long story short, when you're an experimentalist and you're given a theory that's untestable, the prevailing reaction is bad. :P Lots of things can look good on paper, but lots of those things get a bit out of hoof. lolz

• Brohoof 1

The problem with this is that testing such a theory is absurdly difficult. The finding of some physics beyond the Standard Model could indicate that some cool stuff is going down, but we'd need some Doctor Whooves magic -- or some excellent muffins -- to probe those dimensions. 

Long story short, when you're an experimentalist and you're given a theory that's untestable, the prevailing reaction is bad. tongue.png Lots of things can look good on paper, but lots of those things get a bit out of hoof. lolz

Spacial muffins from Holland might help then :3 thanks for the explanation. It is quite weird to know that this theory is hard to probe.

Spacial muffins from Holland might help then :3 thanks for the explanation. It is quite weird to know that this theory is hard to probe.

You're welcome. I'm afraid only Derpy's muffins will do. They have the power to defy nature. :P It's not an easy task, but perhaps something found at the LHC will shed a little light on this subject. In the meantime, I shall continue to play with my neutrinos. :P

• Brohoof 1