Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

iPhone can't listen to previews

GeekBrony

I tried to listen to one song, and it says "The operation can't be completed" on iPhone.

Please fix this issue.

Thanks,

x86cam/GeekBrony

Could you please post which song you had issues with? Both my iPad and my Windows Phone can play the music just fine. Maybe it's an encoding issue specific to a single song?

You ought to post what song you were trying to listent to, ALONG WITH your iOS version. Without knowing that, the staff wouldn't know weather or not the issue is related to outdated software.

I was listening to a few things, and my iOS is 6.1.2 Jailbroken (shouldn't matter, only use it for downloading files from YouTube)

iPhone 4S AT&T

Btw; After testing a couple I found a few that worked for me, but the ones that didn't work never work.

I was listening to a few things, and my iOS is 6.1.2 Jailbroken (shouldn't matter, only use it for downloading files from YouTube)

iPhone 4S AT&T

Btw; After testing a couple I found a few that worked for me, but the ones that didn't work never work.

Can you please post specific examples of tracks that did and did not work on your iPhone? A relative of mine experienced what seems to be the same issue on his iPhone 5, but I lack any leads (or a recent iPhone of my own :() to find out more about the problem.

Can you please post specific examples of tracks that did and did not work on your iPhone? A relative of mine experienced what seems to be the same issue on his iPhone 5, but I lack any leads (or a recent iPhone of my own :() to find out more about the problem.

image.jpg

image.jpg

iPhone 4S AT&T

I think this all might have to do with the fact that iOS can't natively play .FLAC files. Others work because they were most likely a format that is compatible, such as .AIFF or .WAV, but since the iPhone can't play .FLAC, you might be out of luck unless you find a jailbreak tweak to enable such functionality. That doesn't fix the problem for all users, as not everyone wants to jailbreak their device

I can reproduce this issue on my iPad.

For example, these two don't work:

https://pony.fm/tracks/537-wisp-ive-got-to-find-a-way-wisp-remix

https://pony.fm/tracks/598-im-going-to-meet-daring-at-everfree

But these two do:

https://pony.fm/tracks/585-sim-gretina-feat-feather-allons-y-scootrix-remix

https://pony.fm/tracks/528-the-phony-brony-feat-rina-chan-dont-you-dare-let-go-back-to-02-remix

As far as I can tell with some basic debugging, the tracks that work vs the tracks that don't do not have any major differences in bitrate, size or encoding. I opened up the dev tools on mobile Safari and saw no issues being logged into the console. If anyone has any ideas about how these track differ, let me know. I'll take a look at this more later.

Edited by nlaq

Do you know if you can see weather or not certian songs are 16bit or 24bit? I'm pretty sure this has to do with the encoder somehow. I can't really imagine any other reason

Ooh, good call. I'll double check that. It's entirely possible that iOS might not like 24-bit audio.

Update: I've inspected both the master FLAC's and streamed MP3's for all of the mentioned tracks, and there appears to be no correlation between bit depth and whether the track plays on iOS or not. Moreover, I did a little reading on things and it doesn't appear that MP3's have a concept of "bit depth" like lossless audio anyway (for what it's worth, ffmpeg told me all of the MP3's were 16-bit).

Unfortunately, I don't have an iOS device I can test this with, so Nelson will need to look into this further.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems after a recent update to the site, the tracks that used to not work on my iPad now do.

Could you please try again with your devices?

• Brohoof 1

It seems after a recent update to the site, the tracks that used to not work on my iPad now do.

Could you please try again with your devices?

I tried it, it seems to work now. Thanks for fixing this! :)