Furry discussion thread

Discordian

How do you feel about furries?  

260 users have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about furries?

• They're pretty cool
    • So weird.
    • Fluttershy is a furry!

Uuugh, yeah. I find some of these points a bit wrong and confusing. I've known a lot of people into the Furry scene including friends. A good many of them usually pointed out that although not all of them are for the sexual type things that derive from it, it's sitll a part of it; there can be some type of thing like that in any convention or big gathering for Furries.

Other things I would like to point out -

~ Brony's are seen badly as cloppers? That's actually wrong there. Most people don't even know the term if you were to ask them. The negative thing Brony's are seen as is as overweight beard-necked or stringy creepy looking adult's wearing girly products while screaming their fandom at people. THAT'S what is actually shown. If asked about the perverse side of the fandom, most people outside of the scene looking in can see it happening but don't even know the terms such as clopping nor do they even have a sense of it being related to Furry's; that's just other people that know what a Furry is trying to rage at Brony's. (Furverts? I've never heard of that term, that's actually pretty funny)

~ Brony's wearing costumes like Furry's? Uh, no. You must only be thinking of the usual conventions and even then from what people tell me or what I've seen its only a small amount that do that. Even smaller in that only wear things like matching colors of the ponies and put on little ears/horns/wings.

~ The MLP ponies and other figures in the show are NOT Furry's. Are you serious? IF anything they'd be considered Anthromorphic seeing as that how they have personalities similar to some people. And because of this it's crossed into the Furry scene as well. That's why there's a mesh between the two fandoms coming about.

I actually said that Brony's Cosplaying are very minor and that I also said the most Characters in MLP can be reffered to by the term "Furry" or "Anthropomorphic". I also didn't include Bronys bieng massivley potrain as Fat ugly men who stay in their mom's Attic because that is another big portayel, but it's the first one to come to mind though. In all respect of course.

Implying sex is morally wrong, and that a show teaching good morals debases sex. *sigh*

Besides that I agree that you are neither a furry nor a brony if you don't partake in it.

I stated I was a Furry but have full equel respect for All Brony's and the Brony Fandom as a whole. I never stated that sex was imoral, nor did I say that a family show debases sex. If it did it would've probably have been on the news, and that it would'nt be much of a kids show as it's original intended demographic. In all respect of course.

It really is a grey area IMO, there is no solid "yes" or "no" answer, period. On one hand, bronies are technchally furries. They enjoy the artwork, stories and community that surrounds ponies. So you simply cannot state, "bronies are not furries." But on the other hand, a large amount of bronies do not partake in other areas of the furry fandom; meaning you cannot state "bronies are furries." Basically, it's almost a loaded question, but even if it were worded correctly, would still not have a definite answer.

Well kinda cause us bronies have "fasanation" for ponies just like furries with animals. But IMO i think we are a little diffrent cause furries are pretty much about drawing them as humans in a way and cosplaying while IMO bronies talk about and watch the show alot and draw them or make fan fics or gifs.

Posted Image

Now, with that said, I think that bronies and furries have their differences, they are so alike yet so different. They both are big followings of people, with an interest in a type of animal with the ability to talk, often to fly or use magic. We both have extremists, we fight among ourselves and at times fight together. We have so much in common, but we are not the same. Its like taking a corgy and a schnauzer, they are both canines, which is very alike, but they have different fur, different bodies. The size of the difference or similarity is relative to how you look at it.

Even if we are similar, we are most certainly not the same. The biggest difference is how we identify, you are a brony or a furry if you say you are one, and for no other reason. You cannot force someone to be or not to be a furry, as with bronies. My point is this, you choose what you are, and we choose to be different, so we are. While the original interest is either ponies or anthros, often people stay just for the community, and are still a brony or furry if they choose to identify as such.

Furthermore furries are specific to anthros, while bronies come for ponies, the ponies while exhibiting some anthropomorphic characteristics are nor fully anthropomorphous. My point is you could say you were a furry for liking ponies, it is not standard. It is the same vice versa, you could say you are a brony for liking their anthropomorphic characteristics it is very abnormal. Due to the incredible rarity of such an event it is safe to assume furries are not bronies, and bronies are not furries. The tie breakers of these two unusual opinions is personal identification, one supporting reason is that it prevents differing ideas from the groups from claiming people from the other side, or similar confusion.

Much like the English term love it is very subjective, much like furries and bronies. Like I said, it depends on the individual. I have friends that like MLP that aren't bronies, and I've seen people with an interest in anthros that are not furries. Often these are used as group identification, implying you are a member of the community, sometimes a devoted member, and sometimes not at all.

• Brohoof 3

Posted Image

This guy got it all right. +1 For that meowth comic

The two community might got a fuckton of similarities, but it doesn't mean that being one is also be another. The definition right now is pretty much very subjective, there's no solid answer that can satisfy everbody.

But for me, Furries are in it for the human traits and animalistic appearance, Bronies are in it for the show and the community.

Differences Only Fur-Deep

When I saw the thread title, my immediate reaction was "ha! preposterous!" But as others have already pointed out, the similarities are uncanny. To name but a few:

Anthropomorphic Animals? Check. Our little ponies have human-like personalities and appearances. Real ponies don't talk, don't behave the same and don't look the same as our little ponies.

Passionate Fan Base? Check. Here we are, in a forum devoted specifically to expressing our fondness for all of Ponydom.

Direct Personal Identification? Check. Ponytars/OCs. Which pony are you?

Conspicuous Online Presence? Check. Just ask YouTube and the 4chan staff. And again, here we are in just one of several Internet discussion boards dedicated to our little ponies.

Fan Art And Fan Fiction? Check.

Roleplaying? Check.

Cosplay? Check. (See conventions.)

Conventions? Check.

"Creepy Animal Sex"? Check. Compare "Yiffers" and "Cloppers". And as with Furries, a minority that is used to represent all Bronies by cynics unfamiliar with the actual fan community and prone to maligning it (see "Howard Stern").

Misrepresented By Media And Perceived As Strange By Society At Large? Check. I doubt there's anyone reading this who doesn't deeply understand and appreciate what that really means.

Though they are distinct in terms of self-identification, there's also plenty of overlap between the two communities, and no reason why there shouldn't be. We can see quite a bit of defensiveness and indignation by some Bronies about being lumped in with Furries, as if it's an insult. Considered objectively, that's the same mechanism which operates against Bronies with respect to society at large.

I don't think Furries and Bronies are the same, but I do think both communities have a great deal in common and, being the newer fandom, Bronies could learn much from the experiences of Furry fans over the many long years they've been around.

Who knows? We might even learn a thing or two about Love and Tolerance, if we're not careful. :)

Edit to add: And how could I, of all people, forget about "shipping"? Oh the ponanity...

Edited by ponyvangelist
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, bronies are a type of furries. Because both like anthrophormized animals.

And, not all furries like Yiff(i like it, but this doesn't have anything with the subject). The same way that people think that all bronies like r34, the same for furries.

(edited)

I decided to take a quick look at the Wikipedia page on the furry fandom just for fun (and since I'm a furry myself) and I actually learned a few things.

First of all, we all know that furries have been around for a long time, decades even, but what I didn't know was that the actual term "furry" was in use for all that time as well. I had no idea the term even existed until I got the internet four years ago but I had no idea it was so old.

I also found out some decent statistics dealing with furries and the fact that public society has a tendency to look down on it (or so furries tend to believe) for being too sexual. Fact is, furries are not necessarily a sexual fandom, at least not primarily, and it's original purpose was more for science-fiction purposes and it's gradually been turned into a more cartoony thing. You could argue that MLP itself is a part of the furry fandom because of the simple fact that they do what furries have done all along: Had human characteristics. It has nothing to do with being sexual or even looking even remotely human in physiology. Having human emotions, facial expressions and interests is enough to make something a part of the furry fandom as it was defined over 30 years ago.

I didn't know furries were portrayed in as many TV shows as it was. I knew it was in CSI, I saw that episode actually, but didn't know it was more than that. I remember little about the episode so I couldn't say much about the alleged misinterpretation of the fandom though.

I definitely think people need to try to understand the furry fandom before they look down on it so negatively. Most of the negativity has come from the fact that people seem to think furries want to have sex with animals because they are attracted to furry characters, or hell even the ones that aren't attracted to them are accused of it for being fans regardless. People try to say Bugs Bunny and Bonkers aren't furries but they are because by definition is a furry is, as I said, an animal with some sort of human characteristics. It doesn't have to be a human-shaped body. It can be facial expressions, complex emotions and even just the fact that they talk like humans do. Furries are not just sex fiends, for one thing, as a survey was taken around the furry fandom, according to Wikipedia, about just such a thing. Only 2% even admitted to being a fan of zoophilia while the rest were either just attracted to just the furries or weren't even attracted at all. It's a very negative misconception that all furries would also screw a dog when the facts are that they wouldn't because to a furry a furry character and an actual dog are not even remotely the same thing.

This survey stayed away from adult-oriented sites to (attempt to) avoid bias toward sexual mannerisms in the furry fandom.

The page I found all this on can be fond here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

I should read Wikipedia pages more often. I know not everyone trusts them but I've never found a reason not to believe the information given on it as long as it's purely facts and statistical rather than opinions (which is not what Wikipedia is for)

Edited by Resulli
  • Brohoof 5

Partially my own fault for not looking it up sooner but much of what I've read in the article was stuff I did know just from being a part of the fandom. There's much you can learn just by spending time with furries. Furries are generally some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.

...Furries are generally some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.

I can confirm that. Never been into furry myself, but I've met lots of people, and they were all very intelligent, very educated and very nice people. Definately not what i expected.

I think the general non-furry public hates furries simply because they think all furrys are perverted zoophiles. To someone who doesnt know much about it, it's very easy to make such connections. Not to mention that those furrys that actually are then confirm these opinions and give everyone a bad reputation.

Few rotten apples spoil the bunch.

• Brohoof 2

This is interesting...

I myself up until now thought that being a furry meant that you enjoyed animals in a sexual way. I had no idea that that was only a tiny part of what a furry is. Good thing I'm open minded and have never hated on them despite my lack of knowledge. More people should be informed about this to reduce hating, but I doubt haters would listen to facts and statistics. It's just not like them.

What I find really interesting though is that you could compare Furries with Bronies. I'm not saying we're the same, but we have many similarities. Saying that all furries enjoy animals in a sexual way is like saying all bronies are cloppers.

tl;dr

Don't judge someone, no matter what they're into, until you at least study up on it a bit and even then try to keep an open mind.

• Brohoof 1

I kinda knew all that stuff already, bleh why are we so determined to revive the discussion of furrys on a brony forum

Bronies are Bronies, Furrys are Furrys the only similarity's between them is that there are some furry bronies, its all just individual choices to me.

its as if the bronie community has revived these kinds of discussion, when rely thst not the case but it feels that was because now i cant hear conversation for either of them with out the other popping up.

(sorry if this seems some what negative but im just fed up)

Since I am a furry, I guess I knew that stuff already! XD

But it is indeed true, we're a diverse bunch. I'll say that yes, I do indeed find anthros attractive, but you are correct in saying that we do not see animals the same way as we see anthros. It would be like someone saying that because you like football, you must also like under-water basket weaving.

Every fandom has got its oddballs, its just unfortunate that ours get on the media more than we'd like. The phrase "It only takes 1 bad one to spoil the whole bunch" holds true, sadly when people see things like zoophilia in the fandom, they rarely look past that even though its such a small percentage. They just immediately assume we're all that way. Tis human nature.

Glad to see you looked past that though, and continued learning more until you came to a more well rounded understanding. :)

I kinda knew all that stuff already, bleh why are we so determined to revive the discussion of furrys on a brony forum

Bronies are Bronies, Furrys are Furrys the only similarity's between them is that there are some furry bronies, its all just individual choices to me.

its as if the bronie community has revived these kinds of discussion, when rely thst not the case but it feels that was because now i cant hear conversation for either of them with out the other popping up.

To be honest, this doesn't seem so much like a discussion comparing the two, so much as someone just simply stating their realizations about the fandom. This is a breath of fresh air in my opinion compared to all the "Are bronies furries too!?" threads, since it is all just what you want to label yourself as.

Edited by Guest

To be honest, this doesn't seem so much like a discussion comparing the two, so much as someone just simply stating their realizations about the fandom. This is a breath of fresh air in my opinion compared to all the "Are bronies furries too!?" threads, since it is all just what you want to label yourself as.

yeah when i was typing my post i was in the mindset of the reason behind this thread being posted, it just beating a dead horse whe have many thread dedicated to the topic of furrys were this information could have just been posted there. i don't meant to sound disrespectful in any way and if i am im sorry but now furry discussions of any kind have gone from "oh interesting point, i'm intrigued" to "just go the f :( k away, we already have enough of this already damn it" much like topics on clopping

Furries, gays, transgender, religious; It doesn't matter who it is, there will always be a stereotype for something, and it'll always be projected by the media at large.

Everyone likes to assume the image that is given to them is what represents the majority of the entire lot, when in most cases that is hardly the case.

Unfortunately people can never think for themselves these days and always take what's handed to them without any reason of a doubt.

Thank you so much!

You checked out stuff and therefore didn't instantly jump to the standard 'Furry=Yiff' thing.

I hope lots and LOTS of people check this, especially the ones who weren't to happy with us on my Furry post.

Dear sweet Celestia! is it THAT hard for some people to do as you have done and actually check information, not just rely on 4Chan?

Ah, everyone has the same problem....The extreme minority gain a bad name for the rest; Religious extremists, (Some) Fur-suiters.

The list goes on....You get the idea.

Don't let it happen here!

Anyway,

Thank you, seriously.

-Joe-

You didn't happen to see my Furry post did you?

You sound like you have :)

This is interesting...

I myself up until now thought that being a furry meant that you enjoyed animals in a sexual way. I had no idea that that was only a tiny part of what a furry is. Good thing I'm open minded and have never hated on them despite my lack of knowledge. More people should be informed about this to reduce hating, but I doubt haters would listen to facts and statistics. It's just not like them.

What I find really interesting though is that you could compare Furries with Bronies. I'm not saying we're the same, but we have many similarities. Saying that all furries enjoy animals in a sexual way is like saying all bronies are cloppers.

tl;dr

Don't judge someone, no matter what they're into, until you at least study up on it a bit and even then try to keep an open mind.

It's true that people don't even bother to look at things thoroughly. Knowing one aspect and assuming you know what the rest is like based on that aspect leads to misrepresentation and often negativity. People go in with the mindset "I don't like this particular aspect so the rest of it can't be any better" when in fact they could just be finding the one thing that doesn't click with them.

yeah when i was typing my post i was in the mindset of the reason behind this thread being posted, it just beating a dead horse whe have many thread dedicated to the topic of furrys were this information could have just been posted there. i don't meant to sound disrespectful in any way and if i am im sorry but now furry discussions of any kind have gone from "oh interesting point, i'm intrigued" to "just go the f :( k away, we already have enough of this already damn it" much like topics on clopping

I actually was not aware there was so much controversy going on at the moment. I made this topic like immediately after reading the furry fandom page I posted and I haven't been around the whole forum in months, I tend to stick around the Everfree Forest and mostly in the Media Discussion area so forgive me for unintentionally dragging on something that's apparently been plaguing the forum. As for my connection made between bronies and furries it was merely a side thought, nothing more. Purely be definition a furry is any creature with human characteristics of any kind but people do have their own definitions of what makes a furry at the same time. More often than not furries are portrayed only as sexual deviants and all they think about is sex sex sex but what people need to understand that no matter their definitions of it on the internet now it doesn't change how it started thirty years ago and that alone is the traditional definition of what a furry is. Of course, some things can change in definition with new eras and the internet has a tendency to come up with their own definitions of words sometimes too.

Furries, gays, transgender, religious; It doesn't matter who it is, there will always be a stereotype for something, and it'll always be projected by the media at large.

Everyone likes to assume the image that is given to them is what represents the majority of the entire lot, when in most cases that is hardly the case.

Unfortunately people can never think for themselves these days and always take what's handed to them without any reason of a doubt.

Stereotyping is the bane of the existence of any group of peoples' be it ethnic, fandom or spiritual. Really does make it hard to tell others the truth when they say they already "know" the group in question.

Thank you so much!

You checked out stuff and therefore didn't instantly jump to the standard 'Furry=Yiff' thing.

I hope lots and LOTS of people check this, especially the ones who weren't to happy with us on my Furry post.

Dear sweet Celestia! is it THAT hard for some people to do as you have done and actually check information, not just rely on 4Chan?

Ah, everyone has the same problem....The extreme minority gain a bad name for the rest; Religious extremists, (Some) Fur-suiters.

The list goes on....You get the idea.

Don't let it happen here!

Anyway,

Thank you, seriously.

-Joe-

You didn't happen to see my Furry post did you?

You sound like you have :)

It seems some people have the impression that I researched without interest. I actually am a furry myself and have been for years and I just looked it up entirely out of curiosity. Merely made this topic to express my thoughts on the page rather than it being a "furries are bronies" type topic. It's possible to be a fan of furry art without being a furry just as it is possible to be a fan of MLP without being a brony.

Any perpetuating of existing situations/discussions/problems on MLPforums is purely unintentional as I was merely stating my thoughts on the matter.

They have many similarities.

1. the whole "we are accepting" mentality

2. A sexual side of the fandom

3. Personas (ponysonas and fursonas)

4. Fan Fiction (pony fan fiction and fur fiction)

5. Both have to do with animals with human characteristics in some way (ponies can't talk, it's a human characteristic)

6. Conventions

There. 6 ways bronies are similar to furries. I'm not saying that they are exactly the same, but they are similar in more than one way.

I respectfully disagree. The issue here is that 4 out of those things apply to MANY other groups.

1. So are Buddhists and members of other groups and fandoms. That's a very broad statement to be making.

2. Every (and I do mean EVERY) fandom has that. Some have it built into the original media. The clopping side of the brony fandom is no larger than the rule 34 side of any other fandom.

3. I'm not entire sure what this means all the way so I'll leave it alone.

4. every fandom has fanfiction. People do it professionally for Star Wars (Go to the Barnes and Noble sci fi section if you don't believe me). Fanfiction is a universal thing that spans every media.

5. This one is true. However, They are still ponies. You can tell they are ponies. They are not entirely anthropomorphic because they lack the major physical characteristics of humans.

6. Comic Con. Anime Expo. Doctor Who conventions. Star Trek Conventions. Every fandom has conventions.

Most of your arguments are like trying to use the transitive property.

"pandas are fat and hairy. By using the transitive property, I deduce that I AM a panda."

Same concept.

Obviously that's not what you're saying. But if those factors make Bronies similar to furries, then they make them similar to every other group and fandom out there.

furthermore, http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division

Edited by sirseansy
  • Brohoof 2

It's a common thing for people to hate something that they don't necessarily understand. I've known a few furries in my life time, and before I knew anything about it I was merely curious about the whole phenomenon. I had only learned about the sexual aspect of furries, and I was turned off towards culture without even really knowing about it. Being a curious person, I started doing on it and had discovered that it wasn't as bad as my original judgement. In actuality it's a culture that I highly respect these days.

I really don't see why everyone freaks out over sexual content or sex in general. What is up with American society? Society acts like sex is some vile act that only perverts/whores ETC. are into. It is not right to have that view on sex.

• Brohoof 1

I think its just because humans as a society who dosent deem anything ''normal'' they will hate.

That explains everything but then again think of it this way without hate....love cannot truly exist or vice versa (yeah haters gonna hate)

• Brohoof 1