Will you leave the fandom if G5 is dark and full of action?

TheMarkz0ne

I'll watch it and acknowledge what it is, for good or for ill.

I like camp 60s Batman just as I like Nolan Batman.

I'd do my best to like what it is because it won't be FiM. I like FiM of course but I don't follow the "It's not what I wanted therefore it's bad" that so many fans in every fandom adhere to.

It's really all in the execution(see what I did there?).

Dark=/=good. If they go dark and gritty, I hope they do it well. It can happen, certainly. G1 Transformers? Silly as heck most of the time. Beast Wars? Dark and gritty(by comparison). Heck, so is Transformers Animated.

"The meaning of life? Humans create their own meaning. They always strive onwards, upwards, to break the limits of their knowledge, the limits of their bodies capacities, and the limits of their technology.
We have to take the good with the bad. We created the nuclear bomb, but we also created penicillin."

Max Lundgren, Author, 1981         (Translated from Swedish)

They don't have to go all the way into dark. They could have a lot more dark moments and themes, while still retaining their innocent comedy parts. Look at shows like Teen Titans and Avatar the Last Airbender. 

• Brohoof 1

Teen Titans had all people in the world more or less killed and the devil conquering the world.

Avatar is a hundred year war put on the shoulders of a twelve year old.

They are very dark in theme.

"The meaning of life? Humans create their own meaning. They always strive onwards, upwards, to break the limits of their knowledge, the limits of their bodies capacities, and the limits of their technology.
We have to take the good with the bad. We created the nuclear bomb, but we also created penicillin."

Max Lundgren, Author, 1981         (Translated from Swedish)

(edited)

I have mixed feelings about that. 

If it gets to that level, I won't leave the fandom, and nor will I be disappointed, but I will be curious as to why Lauren Faust (Or Hasbro?) decided to change the layout of the story to that extent. Although, I also have theories about how that could work.

Similar to the Season 2 Ending, it could follow that principle. Where things START OUT okay, but about halfway through and until the end of the first season it starts getting bad, until it gradually gets worse and worse until 'all is peaceful' at the end of G5.

That's the only way I could POSSIBLY see them doing it that way.

Edited by Estella

Sig2_zps224889bc.jpg

Singer, picture editor, and most of all, a fan of MLP. 

Absolutely not. I wouldn't make any pre-judgements based on what G5 could or will be. If it happens, and I like it, then I will continue to enjoy the series. I certainly wouldn't abandon the fandom just because I didn't like what they did with the series, because I still love G4.

(edited)

I'm not sure: I'd probably have to see it to judge it but if I didn't like it I'd probably just carry on watching the old G4 and just be old school and only watch the old MLP

So let's say G5 is a retcon of G4. The art style is the same, just dark and gritty. The original mane 6, Celestia, Luna, Cadence and pretty much every character from G4 is accounted for. Even the villains are revamped. Discord and Chrysalis....maybe Sombra, since I want to see him have an actual story next time. 

Wouldn't that make it G4.5 and not G5? 

G1 was a diffrent show to G2, G2 was a diffrent show to G3. G3 and G3.5 wern't totally diffrent shows one was like a spin off slightly altered version of the other, and G4 has stuff borrowed out of G3 like character names, Ponyville and the odd stuff here and there but it's not really an altered version of the other there both totally diffrent moslty.

But from that description I quoted it sounds more of a spin off of G4 as opposed to completely new generation 

Edited by Asherdangerdash

• 1 year later...

BRING ON THE ACTION!! B) lol in all seriousness I'm not sure if the show will ever take such a turn. Since it's still aimed for little girls as well as the brony fandom I don't think they'll stray from their current format. In all honesty I'm not sure they can get much darker than Tirek for this kind of show so I don't think we have anything to worry about ^_^ But to answer the question, even if that did happen, I'd still watch it. As long as it's to my liking I won't abandon the show. However if it somehow isn't, I won't leave the fandom. I'll still go back and watch old episodes and look at art and the like :)

Oh and as for your TMNT comparison, I haven't seen the old series, I believe I saw a couple episodes from the 2003 series, and I'm still watching the new series and it's pretty good. Turtles are still going strong! :lol:

(btw I'm just noticing the new AJ and Rarity emoticons, gosh I've sure been missing out :wat:)

Edited by Pink Mist
  • Brohoof 2

sig-17140.sig-17140.qxIEHLT.png

My OC: http://mlpforums.com...pink-mist-r3726 TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF ME HERE!!

Want a sig like this? Check out my thread!

MLP is as dark as it should be. It doesn't have to be darker, especially not full of action. I would leave the fandom if G5 was mature. I'd actually leave if there was a G5 at all! I personally don't like the idea of another generation, because how worse can it get?! Not saying that G4 is bad, but what if it's bad? So, long story short, my answer is I'd hate it.  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

I'd love it. This is what I wanted from FiM since 2010, something as dark and mature as previous gens.

Aside from G3 I guess xD

Well, as long as the g4 characters are there OR as long as it is the same Equestria world, but in a time where Twilight and the 6 Mane aren't there anymore (same as they did with Avatar: The Legend of Korra) I'd love it, because they'd be able to explore a LOT from the last gen and because a little bit of darkness might actually work pretty well

And for the guy who said the only action scene is the scene where they fight the changelings... did you watch the Season Finale from season4?

FEAR is a CAGE:

In there, NOTHING can reach you
From there, there is NOTHING you can reach

Sister Sarah - Chapter 39, The Fall of the Masked Gala (my book is coming soon!!!)

Teen Titans had all people in the world more or less killed and the devil conquering the world.

Avatar is a hundred year war put on the shoulders of a twelve year old.

They are very dark in theme.

They don't have to go all the way into dark. They could have a lot more dark moments and themes, while still retaining their innocent comedy parts. Look at shows like Teen Titans and Avatar the Last Airbender. 

Well, Teen Titans is funny, and so is Avatar. They are dark in some ways, but they have a comedic side, too.

Aside from G3 I guess xD

Well, as long as the g4 characters are there OR as long as it is the same Equestria world, but in a time where Twilight and the 6 Mane aren't there anymore (same as they did with Avatar: The Legend of Korra) I'd love it, because they'd be able to explore a LOT from the last gen and because a little bit of darkness might actually work pretty well

And for the guy who said the only action scene is the scene where they fight the changelings... did you watch the Season Finale from season4?

Well, G3 was mainly for girls, so you and I are thinking the same.

I saw the finale battle, pretty cool.

I don't think it really needs to be the same. Be different, be original, that's what I liked about the previous ones, they weren't all the same, aside from Twilight. 

• Brohoof 1

Overlord of Darkness

pA8aD3G.gif

Signature made by: Astral Blitzen

http://mlpforums.com/user/24786-astral-blitzen/

I'll answer this question in the most generic way I can, and it would apply to any fandom I belong to. Just replace Brony for Trekkie, Potterhead, Whoovian, etc.

As long as the franchise has a catalog of good material that does not disappear into the aether, I will be a Brony. Future iterations can be the most horrendous load of garbage, I will still be a Brony. I may cease watching the new material, I will still be a Brony. I have adopted this show, and I will always be a part of this fandom in one way or another.

I am Brony ... hear me squee!

• Brohoof 4

It was pretty awesome, and it was kind of dark. I liked it, actually. But if they are cursing or anything that isn't appropriate besides a few battles, I'd stop watching the show. I mean, its a kid's show for hell sake! Why would they add serious adult content if the show is aimed toward all ages?

• Brohoof 1

It was pretty awesome, and it was kind of dark. I liked it, actually. But if they are cursing or anything that isn't appropriate besides a few battles, I'd stop watching the show. I mean, its a kid's show for hell sake! Why would they add serious adult content if the show is aimed toward all ages?

I heard that fathers actually complained because of that fight.

Seriously?

A DBZ-like fight recieves complains? Have they seen Tirek threatening to behead a baby on G1?

Man, parents nowadays...

Overlord of Darkness

pA8aD3G.gif

Signature made by: Astral Blitzen

http://mlpforums.com/user/24786-astral-blitzen/

Well duh. It's not just a cutesy kids' show. It's aimed toward anybody, whether kid, teen, adult OR senior. As Walt Disney said,"Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

• Brohoof 1

Well, G3 was mainly for girls, so you and I are thinking the same.

I don't think it really needs to be the same. Be different, be original, that's what I liked about the previous ones, they weren't all the same, aside from Twilight.

Oh well, I confess this is my weakness: I'm rather resistant with changing, mainly changing something that is SO good.

I'd certainly watch it and say "... I miss Pinkie Pie so much..." and actually sob a little while watching it

FEAR is a CAGE:

In there, NOTHING can reach you
From there, there is NOTHING you can reach

Sister Sarah - Chapter 39, The Fall of the Masked Gala (my book is coming soon!!!)

I would not leave and I may even enjoy it if the show is entertaining to me.

One thing I would be doing is scratching my head as to why they would do it since that type of show doesn't exactly fall into line with the typical MLP image.

• Brohoof 1

post-8308-0-55317300-1414605702.png

Signature by Kyoshi

Hymenoptera is the most superior order of insects. | I'm the best Street Fighter player ever... in my hometown.

Rosalina's #1 fanboy.

Action, adventure, drama, romance, horror... I don't care what it is, if it keeps my attention & has enough going on to keep me interested & fascinated in the show time & time again, then I'll continue to watch it. I might not like it as much as G4, but I might also like it more. Whose to say? We will just have to find out if there is ever a G5 :)

I would not leave and I may even enjoy it if the show is entertaining to me.

One thing I would be doing is scratching my head as to why they would do it since that type of show doesn't exactly fall into line with the typical MLP image.

This is a good point though, it would be a harsh transition from the loveable, cutesy art & morals we currently have & suddenly it goes all Walking Dead or Game of Thrones on our asses  :mustache:

• Brohoof 2

ePKfNjC.gif

Thank you Pinkamena-Pills for resizing the original, and putting that little message at the end