Why is it so wrong that I NEVER considered myself a "Brony"?!

TheOneAndOnly543

I mean really. When I first saw My Little Pony Friendship is Magic on The Hub, i liked it and enjoyed it

ever since. The popularity of the show had nothing do do with me liking it.sleep.png

I enjoyed it before I even knew what a "Brony" was. And yes, I am a male.ohmy.png

I just don't like made up labels. I now know how Erykah Badu feels when she got labeled as "Queen of

Neo Soul." She hated it because she felt it was unnecessary  since soul music is soul music. It's timeless and wonderful.wub.png  There is nothing new about it. But it's the same thing with me and the word "Brony." I just think it's useless.angry.png

So therefore I never considered myself a Brony, and I never will. But I still like this show though!

Does anyone else feel the same?!!!yay.png

• Brohoof 1

Well, when I first watched it, I wasn't too familiar with the fandom, but I knew it existed. I didn't really care too much about the fandom when I first started watching it. I just considered myself a fan. I considered myself a brony when I explored the fandom portion.

Basicially, I was a fan before I was a brony.

You don't have to call yourself a brony.

• Brohoof 3

I have considered myself a fan for a while but I don't see why it matters if you are a brony or just a fan of the show.It doesn't make any noticeable difference.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, nothing wrong with that at all. Some just don't like being associated with bronies, others simply choose for it. I mean, I've watched some Star Trek movies and the series but I don't consider myself a Trekkie.

• Brohoof 1

No, not at all the friend who first introduced me to ponies dosen't regard himself as a brony not because he has anything against them but because he dosen't think he is a big enough fan to justify that label. Labels or not, a fan is still a fan.

Eh you don't have to call yourself a brony, but basically all a brony is to me is a fan of the show, so if you like the show to me your technically a brony.

Really for me "brony" is just a way to refer to the fans of the show mostly. I don't consider anything wrong with it or consider it a title exactly. 

If you don't want to be refered to as a brony thats cool though, I'll try to remember not to.

Theres nothing really wrong with it exactly.

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

I can see where you're coming from.  I initially wouldn't call myself a brony because I saw it as a term for only the overly-obsessed fans.  I got over that, but still, there's no real need to call yourself a brony, whatever your reasoning for it may be.

To me the word "Brony" means people that give it a chance to things that are supposed to look bad, much like not judging a book by its cover Brony's are those kind of people that aren't ashamed to say what they are.

If someone asks you "Are you a brony?" are you really gonna say no despite the fact that you DO watch ponies and spend time with bronies in this fandom?

You can call yourself whatever you want XD :P. If you like the show that's great, and if your part of the fandom that's great. If you don't want to be called a "brony" that's cool.

It takes less time to say "I'm a brony" than it does to say "I'm a fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic". That's pretty much the reason I use the term on myself. And it's a way to identify the community.

Why are you making a big deal out of this. It's just a (cool) broad/loose term that the fans have come up with to describe themselves. If you don't want to call yourself a brony than so what. No one is trying to force you to call yourself a brony. Why does this thread even exist, it seems unnecessary  And that whole tie in with the soul music thing is completely different. That is someone specifically being given a title by others, where this is the fandom giving itself an identity. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hmm you do bring up a good point on how it is unnecessary to call yourself a brony because if your a fan than your a fan. Brony is just a term used to describe people who are fans. If you don't like the term then you are free to just refer to yourself as a "fan". Nothing wrong with it at all and now I think we should move on. wink.png  

Edited by NiceRequiem

I guess it depends on how you define the term Brony.

To most of us, it just means a fan of the show-but to others it's along the 'Trekkie' or even 'Furry' lines-and they don't want to be thought of as weird by their peer group.

Nobody here is going to tell you what you are-you define yourself. 

I understand where your going with this buddy.

As for myself, believe it or not, I ALSO don't like being called a brony.

Rarely will I like that term, but most of the times, if I'm part of a fandom, just call me "insert name here" fan.

I have nothing with people who call themselves a brony, so don't worry good people!yay.png

Well normally I can't get behind group identifiers in general so I'm very particular about which labels I allow myself. I only allow myself 3: Nerd, atheist, and brony. It's human nature to want to fit into a specific crowd, maybe you should stop worrying about it.

Mate. The definition of the term "Brony" is quite clear. It is used to describe a fan who is older than the target demographic for the show, and generally used for males.

So if you call yourself a fan, fan = brony, so you can't escape the inevitability of being reffered to as a brony.

It's like, someone who is black will probably be referred to as "Black". Nothing mean or racist at all, we all do it. The criteria for that is having dark skin. So if you have dark skin, you are black. This term isn't mean or anything, it's just easier to say than "African-American", or whatever race that person is from.

Someone who is an older fan of the show fits into the criteria of the term Brony, therefore, whether you like it or not, you're a brony. Again, there is nothing mean intended from this term, if you look at the criteria.

I have nothing against disliking being called a brony and saying not to refer to you as such...But really, you're all bronies :U

• Brohoof 3

Nope, nothing wrong with that at all. Some just don't like being associated with bronies, others simply choose for it. I mean, I've watched some Star Trek movies and the series but I don't consider myself a Trekkie.

EXACTLY!!!! You hit the nail right on the head!!! Spot on!!!!wink.png They are just labels, like furries too, I mean, I like cartoon animals that act like humans, but I wouldn't even call myself one of those either!!!wink.png img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

I understand your point, and if you don't wanna be labeled as a brony, you don't have to be.  When I first started watching the show, I didn't consider myself a brony.  After a while that changed though, probably when I realized I had seen every episode  happy.png .  I also didn't care for the term at first, but it grew on me.  There are worse things than being seen as or labeled a brony.  It associates you with one of the best fandoms there is smile.png .

No, not at all the friend who first introduced me to ponies dosen't regard himself as a brony not because he has anything against them but because he dosen't think he is a big enough fan to justify that label. Labels or not, a fan is still a fan.

Yes, I agree. I just really don't think the label was unnecessary  I mean, a lot of people know I like this show so a dumb label makes no sense to me at all. There is absolutely no need for it!.

Mate. The definition of the term "Brony" is quite clear. It is used to describe a fan who is older than the target demographic for the show, and generally used for males.

So if you call yourself a fan, fan = brony, so you can't escape the inevitability of being reffered to as a brony.

It's like, someone who is black will probably be referred to as "Black". Nothing mean or racist at all, we all do it. The criteria for that is having dark skin. So if you have dark skin, you are black. This term isn't mean or anything, it's just easier to say than "African-American", or whatever race that person is from.

Someone who is an older fan of the show fits into the criteria of the term Brony, therefore, whether you like it or not, you're a brony. Again, there is nothing mean intended from this term, if you look at the criteria.

I have nothing against disliking being called a brony and saying not to refer to you as such...But really, you're all bronies :U

I see what you are saying and your a very intelligent personimg-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png but I'm afraid I have to disaggree. You see, Brony was just a made up label by some young dude who liked MLP. Lauren Faust had no intention of making that label. If she did, then I might be okay with the word "Brony". But she didn't, so therefore, I cannot.sad.png

I see what you are saying and your a very intelligent personimg-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png but I'm afraid I have to disaggree. You see, Brony was just a made up label by some young dude who liked MLP. Lauren Faust had no intention of making that label. If she did, then I might be okay with the word "Brony". But she didn't, so therefore, I cannot.sad.png

Now here's where I can agree with you. Bronies, as a defined term, fits all of us here, but as a label, I agree that it should not be used. No one wants to be labelled anything unwillingly, and especially when it's a negative label..

(edited)

Brony is how we identify ourselves. Labels exist because it summarizes everything in one or 2 words. I guess i don't see how a word that everyone in the herd uses can suddenly be dumb after 2 years but i guess thats up to the individual. It HAS meant you're part of this community or that you FEEL that you are. If it's a mild attachment you're just a "fan".

I do know plenty of musicians who hang on the mlp music forum my little remix routinely and yet don't make "brony music" or barely did. It's a shame they feel stifled by fact that the music we make is about the ponies and that's why we're here for but if it makes them feel like a hack to use samples or write with that in mind i guess they'll be somewhat outside the community but still a small part of it. Best of luck to PinkiePieSwear, Icky, Art Attack, or anyone else who doesn't really want to be tied down. It just feels like shame when people are embarassed when they don't FEEL like their a part of the community anymore or they aren't that strongly tied to it. Certainly there will be people who never did and those who've now left because it just doesn't feel home anymore.

Edited by Freewave