Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Theory on Alicorns

Dranz_89

Hey guys...

With all the Twilight Alicorn matter, I have some thoughts in my mind and I would like to know your opinion...

As everyone knows, alicorns are the rulers of Equestria, and they seem to live like... pretty much time. But does that mean they are all goddesses? how much time does an average pony lives?

I know they can't possibly live a 1000 years, but that's what makes alicorns so special, right? And thinking of alicorns, why are so few of them (4 to be precise)? 

My theory: Because now that Twilight has become an alicorn, any unicorn can become an alicorn, or even anypony. and considering that, maybe Celestia, Luna and Cadence were all unicorns. I know Twilight was choosen by Celestia, but that's just the case, I think she was choosen for being the best of her students and her potential. That means that if there would have been another unicorn better than Twilight, then Celestia would have picked her instear, right?

So what do you think?

I'm not sure about any of it. I was glad to hear that Twilight won't outlive her friends, though.

I must admit I am very curious as to where Celestia and Luna came from. I hope they explore that at some point.

According to Lauren Faust, nope

(EDIT: Image broken. Removing link.)

But since she already left the show, who knows what would the current writers do with the alicorns. We might never know for sure

I always thought Luna and Celestia were like, forged of the stars or something like that, since they appear to be different than the others and are obviously older. Idk where the quote is, but I thought Lauren Faust said something about ponies aging at a similar rate to people so... would they have the same life span? I sincerely hope so, because other wise everypony will be dead in about 15 years (Horses generally live into their 30's IRL)

Anyways, I'm with you on the theory any pony can become an alicorn, though I think the path would be different for each one and a lot would have to line up for it to happen. Also the alicorns are so small in number, I believe, because each alicorn has a purpose. A major one. Celestia and Luna control sun and moon, Cadence has some sort of power over love though it hasn't been fully explained if she's on Celestia's level, and Twilight is either magic or harmony or both or something frikken similar to them. What I don't think you can have is an alicorn that does not serve a specific purpose that benefits ponykind in some major way. I doubt we'll get any more alicorns, unless they do it to all of the mane six... which I think would be kind dumb

3tau0b.jpg

Lol best meme ever. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Comparing in religious terms I most see Alicorns above human and more on the level of Angels, with Cadence being more of an archangel and Celestia and Luna being Godesses who've reached the peak of ascendancy. Though Celestia and Luna are Godesses in the style if Greek and Norse Gods where they can be killed by equal or greater powers (Titans or Apocolyptic events could kill those type of gods), instead of the Judeo-Christian Jehovah which is usually described as immortal.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 1

I'd have to say they're not goddesses, they've shown weaknesses in the series a good bit. Luna/Nightmare Moon being easily defeated by the Mane 6 wielding the Elements of Harmony, Celestia being over powered by Chrysalis, and Candace growing fatigued all show that the Alicorn race have a limit to their power. I think as for the "immortality" they're shown to posses, I think it's also just related to the well of vast magic they all posses extending their lives to an unknown but finite number years.

If you want to talk about gods let's talk about Discord, Discord is best god. img-387689-1-5e7kmu.png 

As for the anypony becoming an alicorn theory, I can't say if I can agree. But for the unicorn race it could be possible, alicorns are known for their magic and as are unicorns. If a unicorn has enough potential with magic (Like Twilight did) they can perhaps "evolve" to an alicorn.

What if Twilight DIDN'T become an Alicorn goddess and was just simply given wings?
There is no saying yes or no to if the Princesses are goddesses, and seeing as how Cadance aged the same rate as Twilight it would apply to only Luna and Celestia.

BUT if you remember the difference between Luna in S1E2 and S2E4 she ALSO aged at the same rate as Twilight.
Celestia and Luna's magic is powerful. And as seen in Magic duel... There is an Age changing spell, which could be why Celestia and Luna have lived so long.

You can't really push theories onto a topic, you to need to do research and go by what you only get from the show. So far from what it has deduced they have very powerful magic, nothing more.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't know if this is canon, but I read about an MLP storybook on the MLP wiki and it apparently said Cadance was formerly a pegasus (and that she was adopted as Celestia's niece). This could mean that anypony has the potential to become an alicorn.

Edited by Orangejack
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...

I agree with minty melody, there shouldn't be anymore alicorns than there already is. Twilight has a important purpose. If all of mane six were alicorns the magic of friendship would be at risk. If the mane six were alicorns they would have so many duties that they would have very little time together making there relationship almost not a relationship at all. Plus if they were all alicorns that would make twilight and her element (the element of friendship) usless as well as spreading the magic of friendship. Making all of them as useless as twilight. One last thing, there would be too much magic which would throw off the balance of nature transcending the barriers of which would create a massacre of chaos which would put the world at risk of losing their faith, hope and strength as well as peace in the land. (I have a point you know!)

The Journal Of The Two Sisters said Celestia and Luna "age differently," and that's pretty much it so far.

And in Discord And The Ponyville Players Dramarama, you-know-who admitted to being at least 1,000 years old -- albeit mostly as a statue -- meaning he may not be too much older than them.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

I don't want there to be anymore alicorns but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they added more alicorns. And then before you know it only the alicorns will be the most important characters and the mane six is thrown under the rug. You know just like how Super Saiyans became the only characters focused on Dragon Ball Z.

What if Twilight DIDN'T become an Alicorn goddess and was just simply given wings?
There is no saying yes or no to if the Princesses are goddesses, and seeing as how Cadance aged the same rate as Twilight it would apply to only Luna and Celestia.

BUT if you remember the difference between Luna in S1E2 and S2E4 she ALSO aged at the same rate as Twilight.
Celestia and Luna's magic is powerful. And as seen in Magic duel... There is an Age changing spell, which could be why Celestia and Luna have lived so long.

You can't really push theories onto a topic, you to need to do research and go by what you only get from the show. So far from what it has deduced they have very powerful magic, nothing more.

How about Twilight doesn't get wings and just have the same magic level as alicorns and beyond.

• Brohoof 2

I don't want there to be anymore alicorns but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they added more alicorns. And then before you know it only the alicorns will be the most important characters and the mane six is thrown under the rug. You know just like how Super Saiyans became the only characters focused on Dragon Ball Z.

How about Twilight doesn't get wings and just have the same magic level as alicorns and beyond.

I TOTALLY AGREE THEN BEFORE YOU KNOW IT THERE WILL BE CHAOS IF MANE SIX ISNT INVOLVED!

• Brohoof 1

Agreed that I think alicorns and super saiyans have alot of similarities.

That being said, i think its kind of already happening where the other 5 are kind of pushed aside for alicorns to direct the plot ALREADY for adventure episodes. I mean, alicorn magic and characters being alicorns kind of directed the plot for the S4 finale and premier, Starlight's big obsession with the mane six in the S5 premier was "She's an alicorn! If I brainwash her I'll be able to spread my philosophy" and I the leaked stuff from the sony e-mails for the Movie, even if they're not current and being used, indicated they were going to make the plot revolve around a new alicorn popping up.

The other five kind of don't really direct the plot much here anymore except in relation to knowing twilight :P

I TOTALLY AGREE THEN BEFORE YOU KNOW IT THERE WILL BE CHAOS IF MANE SIX ISNT INVOLVED!

Eh, there wasn't much Chaos in season three with the crystal empire when The other five were more or less pushed into the background for that episode, was there? :P

• Brohoof 1

I do not see alicorns as goddess at all. They are more long lived (but how long we do not know since we do not know how long ponies live) and more powerfull yes, but I feel they are respected because they are, you know, the rulers of Equestria and not because their alicorn status (look how little diffence there is how Twilight is treated, nobody sees her as a goddess).

Because of Magical Mystery Cure and the chapter book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell, I believe that alicorns are not born, but rather made.

A pony would become an alicorn after accomplishing an extremely difficult magical task, and coming to a full realization and understanding on a type of magic.

Such as Twilight finishing Starswirl the Bearded's spell by literally using the magic of friendship and manifesting it in a way that nopony has ever done before.

In the chapter book it said that Cadence was once a pegasus but after using the literal magic of love to help reform an evil queen she turned into an alicorn.

So I like to believe that no one is born an alicorn and you have to earn the right to be turned into one or something like that.

• Brohoof 1

Agreed that I think alicorns and super saiyans have alot of similarities.

That being said, i think its kind of already happening where the other 5 are kind of pushed aside for alicorns to direct the plot ALREADY for adventure episodes. I mean, alicorn magic and characters being alicorns kind of directed the plot for the S4 finale and premier, Starlight's big obsession with the mane six in the S5 premier was "She's an alicorn! If I brainwash her I'll be able to spread my philosophy" and I the leaked stuff from the sony e-mails for the Movie, even if they're not current and being used, indicated they were going to make the plot revolve around a new alicorn popping up.

The other five kind of don't really direct the plot much here anymore except in relation to knowing twilight :P

Eh, there wasn't much Chaos in season three with the crystal empire when The other five were more or less pushed into the background for that episode, was there? :P

Well I guess your right. BUT WHAT IF THERE WAS CHAOS

:blink: