Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Still a challenge being a 30 year old brony

daflyinskwirl

Hey everypony, 

So today was tough. I caught extra crap for being a brony today. But in the irony of being ridiculed for loving this show, I turn TO the show for strength and solace.. and finally decided to join an MLP forum.

I'm a 30 year old man. I'm a mechanic. I fix machines, I fix cars, I can weld, I do all manner of manly man things, and I love this show. 

I caught wind of it last year but never sat down to watch it until I had a fit of boredom last november. It was in my netflix instant que for the longest time. I knew what a brony was, and figured if so many people loved the show that maybe I would give it a shot. I love all kinds of anime, and I was on the tail end of a recent anime binge and decided to give MLP a try.

I was hooked the first day.

Marathoned the whole series and got caught up in time for the premier of season 3. Naturally, I began to talk about it.. I'm a genuine person, I don't tend to hide things and if I do, I don't manage to pull it off very long. I also get excited for things that I'm excited about... so i tend to be very vocal about it. And bam. brony syndrome.

My familiy is very accepting. They even got me a Rainbow Dash plush for my 30th birthday. They poke fun at me, but it's all in good fun. My dad, my mom, my sisters, it's cool.

My close friends, I don't really talk about it. They all know I like the show, but other than a few occasional jabs, that's as far as it goes. Other friends that I have, I'm not so lucky

It does get tiresome sometimes. I peeked thru the introduction section to see if other people post up about this as well.. I realize this show has a large demographic of people who like it, but I saw several threads of people who are still in school.

So I don't mean to be a downer, but... I'm 30.

You would think my friends who are mostly of similar age would be far more reasonable and accepting of something so innocently simple as me liking a cartoon show. Me liking cartoons is not a new thing and is well known among my friends... however I was rather surprised at some of the negative reactions I got.

I understand that it may be a bit strange on the surface, but in a time where a lot of people are preaching open mindness and equal rights for gay marriage, and a lot of other touchy political subjects I find it rather.... ironic that these same people are very unaccepting of me liking a cartoon show. It's amazing how much social stigma can play into something.

It's disheartening. It's amazing how simple comments can ruin my mood for quite a while. I have a handful of other brony friends I can talk to about the show... some of which I even turned on to the show. It helps a lot to vent to them because they understand the difficulties I go through first hand.

So that's why I'm here. Maybe to lean on others on days I get hit with a lot of flak, and to hopefully return the favor to my brony brothers (and sisters). I do realize that I am pretty lucky so far as brony ridicule goes.

What always helps me is the thought that if most of these judgmental people actually tried the show, they would probably like it.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

• Brohoof 6

To quote Pinkie Pie:

Welcome welcome welcome

A fine welcome to you

Welcome welcome welcome

I say how do you do?

Welcome welcome welcome

I say hip hip hurray

Welcome welcome welcome

To Ponyville today

You will fit in here! We are, of course, very accepting. That's all I can say.

See you around soon and happy exploring of the Forums!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hey there! I hope you enjoy the forum! It may be hard to appreciate MLP since your on the older side of the audience but stick with it. I mean it's just a TV show if people criticize you for liking it tell them to seriously knock it off because it shouldn't be such a big deal.

Edited by Pegasus Device

img-1509400-1-da4pt.jpg

Welcome to the forums, daflyinskwirl! Don't worry about your age, we accept all creatures, big or small.

Remember to check out the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) at one point in your stay here, preferably now. If you need any help, or have questions, Site Questions and Technical Support is there you assist you. If you have further questions, ask one of the moderators / administrators here, like Feld0 and ~Chaotic Discord~.

I hope i'll be seeing you around the forums!

Don't let people get to you like that.  I have friends at my job who joke around with me.  They just like messing with me, and they respect me enough that they don't tell me to stop whatever I'm into is my business.  We're here when you need a good person to lean on.  Brony on,  bud.  Don't hesitate to talk to one of us if you need. I'm new myself, but I like to listen, so don't worry bout a thing:)

(edited)

It really isn't a big deal at all, I really don't care who you are, and nobody else SHOULD either.

But welcome to this forum from a noob to a noob.

Edited by Rainbow P.F. Sparkle

How's it going there youngster?

I'm a 43 year old brony, who found the show in much the same way you did. I work in security, I'm a weightlifter and I'm married with 2 kids. How's that for untypical?

This show appeals to all sorts of people. I love it because it gets me out of the humdrum of life for a while, and because it maakes me feel good. I'm saying all this so you know there's a bunch of us older guys on here-and we all interact well together regardless of age and background. These forums are awesome-I look forward to getting on here whenever I can.

Welcome-hope to see you around town.

• Brohoof 1

thanks for the warm welcome guys

I don't think any amount of grief would ever convince me to give up the show. It does a lot for me in terms of just good vibes and cheering me up on those really crap days where work is annoying, people are annoying, etc.

If I ever do give it up, it'll be on my own terms. But, I don't see that happening for a very long time /)

• Brohoof 1

I think that being involved in the fandom at a later age has its benefits.  You're more likely to be taken seriously for the decision you make, in regards to a certain show you watch.
The majority of this fandom is younger in age, but there are still a bunch of us who are older, and would be considered "WAY too old to me involved with such a thing!"  I'm only 21 and have taken my fair share of that.  I definitely enjoy the company of the older fans in this fandom, so feel free to send me a message sometime!  I don't know if you would consider using Skype for something like this, but I'll be here anyways.

• 4 months later...

I'm 33. So I know what you're going through. But the way I see it. I have only one life to live. And if nopony else likes what I'm into. Well then, I'm not caring. I like what I like. And if nopony else likes it. Too bad. It makes me happy and has helped me through some troubling times with it's humor and wittyness.

And if u wanna. You can add me on Skype. (RoadsideRomeoFanatic) I'm looking for someone with relatability into which I can disscuss the show. :D

But like most all the other ponies have said here. We're all very accepting. So don't feel like you don't belong here. We're all extreamly glad to have ya.

So in short. Welcome to the herd.

• 6 months later...
(edited)

I'm a 30 year old brony. It's hard to find friends that are into mlp. Would anyone like to go to bronycon 2015. I'm from MA and Im just looking for some friends to hang out with next year. :(

Edited by MacS

hi there! and welcome to the forums, everyone around here I have met so far as been very accepting to us bronies of the older persuasion.

I myself just turned...*drum roll*...37! so don't feel bad, my girlfriend things its adorable and does tease me about it, but also buys all sorts of My Little Pony stuff so I think its safe to say she is ok with it. 

anyway don't worry about your age, it really doesn't matter here. I hope you meet lots of people and make some friends

good luck and....stay brony my friend!  B)

Have no fear, the Brony community forums is here! ^^

It's hard being a Brony anywhere you go, but trust me, you can feel loved and accepted for who you are in your heart here. :)

With that said, i sincerely hope you enjoy your stay, and please, if you have any questions or need any help with something, don't hesitate to PM me, the mods, admin, or any other members of the forum. Heck, PM anyone! We're all so friendly here! ^^

Have fun! And I'll see you around the forums! ^^ (\

• Brohoof 1

Well first lemme start by sayin' Howdy daflyinskwirl! Welcome to the forums!

I'm 25 myself, but have found that while some of the more active members I've met tend to be teenagers, those of us in our 20's and 30's definitely have a presence here too!

Just about everyone's really welcomin' and happy to have a fellow brony to chat with.

If'n ya need anything or wanna chat, just send me a PM or hit me up on skype!

Hey everypony, 

So today was tough. I caught extra crap for being a brony today. But in the irony of being ridiculed for loving this show, I turn TO the show for strength and solace.. and finally decided to join an MLP forum.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Welcome to the forums. I'm 30 myself. Don't fret too much about what others think, if you like it, you like it. Easier said than done, I know. Been there with that.

That being said, one of my very good friends is a mechanic. Same age. I do my best to wear pony-related clothing around him as much as possible. He'll come around. :ph34r:

But in all seriousness, this place is awesome. I joined not too long ago and it's nice to see so many other like-minded individuals of all ages. :squee: