Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sun Poisoning?

Justin ZW

Has anyone ever had sun poisoning? I got a pretty severe sunburn today, and I feel really sick. It could be that I just drank a little too much, but I haven't drank any more than I have been the rest of this vacation. I'm slightly worried because my brother got really sick earlier this week, and I don't want to be puking the whole ten hours home tomorrow.

Any insight?

• Brohoof 1

Sun poisoning doesn't work that way. Most likely you got some sort of run-of-the-mill disease, or the sunburn exacerbated an existing disease or stress that has you feeling sick.

(edited)

Go to your local pharmacy and purchase a after-burn lotition that contains Aloe Vera. Apply generous amounts on your sunburn throughout the day.

Take a anti-inflammatory twice a day(at least 6 hours apart) such as Ibuprofen, Aleve or Advil. Acetametorphan(Tylanol) won't suffice(work). This will help with the redness and swelling.

Stay hydrated, drink at least 8 ounces of water every hour and take warm showers often.

Try to stay in doors as well until your sunburn starts to peel.

Be sure to eat plenty of nutritous foods as well because any burn deprives the body of its nutrition. Fruits and vegetables are highly recommended along with healthy meals.

As your burn heals it'll itch like craz but do your best not to scratch it, just stay hydrated and lie in a cool bath if possible

Next time wear plenty of sunscreen and try not go shirtless(this is what caused burns on my shoulders and back).

Stay hydrated and get well soon! :)

Edited by Cuhpcakes
  • Brohoof 1

I actually feel much better this morning. Not sure what all that fuss last night was about, but at least I'm not sick. Thanks for the responses!

• Brohoof 2

I can help with this.  Being a ginger, I get sunburned a lot. That feeling you have of being sick is a result of dehydration.  Your body's going through a lot of fluids to repair itself. You aren't actually sick, just burned and dehydrated. Drink a lot of water and you will be fine.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

i come home sun burnt every other day cos imma ( red put it nicely)  ginger well more  light brown than ginger but apparently ginger enough  (according to friends)  to come home looking like a lobster so dem feels bro 

drink plenty pf water and you be alright 

I've had it once, it was pretty disgusting. On the back of my left ear. It's basically extreme sunburn that leads to a sort of rash or boil. Mine lasted about a week if I recall. Don't worry though, sounds like you don't have it, just some ordinary ailment. 

It was probably heat exhaustion; a combination of heat and dehydration. Drink a shit load of water (specifically water, not soda/alcohol/whatever), wear bright, breathy clothes, stay indoors if it gets too hot.

Heat exhaustion can mess you up, and if you stay out in extreme heat too long with too little water, you can even get heat stroke, which is quite a bit worse.

Well I get sunburn yes, but I can't say I've ever got Sun-Poisoning, heck I haven't really heard of it.

I think what you where describing sounds like dehydration, from being in the sun you can get nauseated when you are dehydrated and stuff, which sounds sorta like what you had.

Glad your feeling better though.

I've looked up sun poisoning and it turns out to actually exist as a severe form of sun burn

What you may be experiencing could be something like heat exhaustion. I suggest that you stay in a cool place and keep drinking water. If it turns out to be a much more serious thing, go see a doctor.

• Brohoof 1

I'm just curious about what symptoms you were having since "feeling sick" could mean a number of things. That you mention your brother makes me think maybe you got a sunburn around the same time your brother infected you with something else. It could also be as they above said and you felt heat exhaustion along with the sunburns.

(edited)

Sun poisoning? I don't think there's such a thing, but what you described definitely sounds like heat exhaustion.  Where i live in texas, the summer tempertures go over 100 and we have to be extra careful if we are outside for more than a couple hours. i've seen people keel over from being in the sun for too long during marching band. Our band director would warn us constantly to drink water and sure enough, every year some kid would not heed his warning and end up on the sidewalk.

BTW, Its better to drink a bit of water constantly throughout the day than to drink a huge amount all at once, otherwise if you were really dehydrated you might make yourself puke.

Edited by crazitaco