Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Topic revival

-Nobody-

I think there should be some kind of revival rule on topics.

Like, if a topic has been dead for 30 or 45 days, then you should have to make a new topic, instead of reviving the old one. If it gets revived it gets locked.

Suggesting this because I've seen topics that haven't been posted in for like a year, then they get revived.

Putting restrictions on topic age is shooting yourself in the foot in most cases, as it simply restricts potential activity. However, the larger we get, and the more merges and closes have to be done as new topics get made that have already been made, something akin to a tactical restriction may be a good idea.

• Brohoof 1

If a thread would be dead for a long time, then the chances of revival are very slim to begin with. 

Also, if the thread died before, it'd probably just die again after revival, so I don't see what the point would be. 

I don't see what the problem is with posting in threads from over a year ago, though... 

• Brohoof 5

I don't see any problems in posting into the old thread. If the topic is to be revived, it shall be revived.

When writing in a topic, I don't care when it was started, since it will go on top anyway.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see any problem with posting in an old thread either so I don't really see the point of this..

• Brohoof 1

From what I've seen with the style of moderation here, we don't want duplicate topics. So having a new thread with the same topic of another thread seems to contradict this. Maybe, if it's been dead for over a year, I could see there being a restriction, but I'm still not certain I'd want something like. That.

Just my opinion.

(edited)

There are plenty of topics which though may be old are still relevant and worthy of discussion. Simply locking all old threads which forces people to make new threads that still wish to discuss those topics only serves to encourage clutter and gives the staff unnecessary extra work that could be spent on matters that are far more productive. Topics which are no longer relevant yet have for whatever reason been revived can always be locked.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

I'm totally fine with having old topics revived, no matter how old, as long as the person has something to say about it, and its something I can actually talk about.

If its a topic thats already been resolved and is no longer relevant, then reviving it is kinda pointless, but yeah.

I don't think remaking a topic for something already made is that necessary right now.

Old topics hardly ever get revived anyways.

I concur with the other member's here, making a new topic while one already exists on the same subject will only serve to clutter the forums and perhaps have a detrimental effect on the the site's SEO. Although I don't know all that much about that so don't quote me on it.

more merges and closes have to be done as new topics get made

Probably the only issue with our current system, as when people make new duplicate topics it'll result in more work for the mods however I think a autonomous robot could help; scan each new topic's title and original post to and flag the new topic if it's similar to an already existing topic.

Suggesting this because I've seen topics that haven't been posted in for like a year, then they get revived.

I've never really understood why this is an issue. Is there any particular reason why you think that's an issue?

• Brohoof 1