Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Keyboard for a beginner?

James

I'd love to learn to play piano, so I'm thinking I might buy a keyboard, I might not though, I'm saving money for a PC right now so I haven't decided yet.

If I do decide to get one though, what should I look for? I don't have a lot of money, I can't go much higher than £100 (I think that's about $150). I know almost nothing about this stuff though, I've read that touch sensitive keys are really important, so it'd be nice to get that, other than that I have no idea what I should look for.

I'm pretty sure I can't afford 88 keys, which sucks, but all I need is a good one for beginners.

I'll bump this once because I really would like an answer, if anyone has an answer to give. There must be a few people here who play piano.

If you're looking for just a super cheap beginners keyboard, I'd suggest a cheap Yamaha portable keyboard. You can find plenty of used ones online. I found one on craigslist one day for 20 bucks. 61 keys, 300+ sounds. Yamaha's are pretty fair quality, they are built like a tank and they are easy to find. 

That's just my suggestion, go cheap and used before you put a ton of money in to it.

• Brohoof 2

@@Meirno,

That sounds like the best idea, want a good keyboard that I can use for a long time.

I was actually looking at a Yamaha keyboard before, it looks like it has everything I need, but as I said I know nothing about this stuff. I don't know if you've used this particular one, but how does it look?

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-e333/?mode=model

I'll look around and see if I can find something like this for a low price.

@@Meirno,

That sounds like the best idea, want a good keyboard that I can use for a long time.

I was actually looking at a Yamaha keyboard before, it looks like it has everything I need, but as I said I know nothing about this stuff. I don't know if you've used this particular one, but how does it look?

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-e333/?mode=model

I'll look around and see if I can find something like this for a low price.

Looks like a great one. Honestly any kind of Yamaha keyboard you get will be fine as long as everything works on it. Even one with less voice sounds. Do ya'll have a craigslist or equivalent over there in the UK?

@@Meirno,

Yeah, actually we do have Craigslist here, I never knew that before, but I just looked and there's nothing. I'll keep looking on Ebay though, and some other sites, I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

@@Arretez,

That one looks good, at a decent price too. Does it have touch sensitive keys? I looked it up and the descriptions don't say that it does, it'd be really nice to have that.