Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My theory of Equestria

Sunbro 4 Lyfe

HELLO Everypony!

So here's a theory. That Isn't true and never will be. But I've been thinking.

We always see some pieces of modern technology in equestria yet we don't see others.

They have Mics, dj thingies and stuff, and full pieces of medical equipment.

Yet they don't have Cars, tractors, anything more than arcades, cans and other things.

SO here is my theory. Equestria is not an alternative world or universe. But instead a future version of Earth...

Magic isn't magic, it's telekinesis and all that jazz.

The contact of clouds is due to an abnormality in the weather.
Ponies excavate certain areas and find pieces of ancient technology. Sometimes just records. Other times in-tact objects. They are researched, constructed. Taken apart and rebuilt. This explains why they have some advancements and not others.

Of course this isn't true. The writers would never say that at all!

But whatta you think? Why do thy have medical equipment and not cars and wepons and that?

But they do have cars, right? The Flim Flam brothers drove a powered vehicle that you could count as a car. But I agree, it could've been excavated and re-powered with unicorn magic. In fact, I remember making a post similar to that... let me see if I can dig that up from somewhere.

Ah, found it! It's an old post of mine and we share some ideas, plus a few more references of uncovered relics.

Well, what do we already know? We know that Equestria is on Earth - Pinkie Pie says in Hearth Warming's Eve "News flash for you cookie, the Earth is round". Practical technology seems to switch from things as simple as drawn carriages, to handheld cameras like the ones in Green Isn't Your Colour. A lot of creatures are around that don't exist in the real world, like dragons and griffons...

Could it not be that the show is set thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of years into the future? Where humanity has died out and left remnants of their past (the cameras and film reels being uncovered relics from their society), where evolution has allowed the existence of griffons and dragons, and where the apparent aptitude of ponies as a race has led them to become the dominant species. In fact, perhaps it were those pieces of human existence that allowed ponies such as Pinkie Pie to know how Sherlock acted in S2E24; and perhaps Lyra sits on park benches like she does because she too uncovered lost photos of humans doing the same!

And how about the frequency of buried gems? Could that be the same; the extinction of humanity requiring that people hide their valuables in stashes - or in the caves where the Diamond Dogs live - in order to keep them for if they survived some world-endangering apocalypse? Plus, different types of technology are shown as the series progresses - for example, instead of a drawn carriage, S2E15 introduced a locomotive, which could have been abandoned by humans and re-powered with the Flim Flam brothers' unicorn magic. Possibilities are exploding to mind at the moment... but does anyone think that this scenario might be the case?

Edited by Flipturn Brennenburg

Well it's just a theory. Equestria has medical equipment but not cars or weapons because they aren't needed. Instead of cars they could just travel by walking or running, they don't need weapons because of magic and using their strength.

In fact, the idea that Equestria is a post-human world populated by ponies and other creatures somehow evolved to sapience isn't new at all. Here is an example.

800px-Birthofgods.jpg

So why they don't have cars? Because they don't have oil anymore. We'd used it all up before dying out.

This is certainly the basis of my head canon. In a bout of insanity I decided I needed to tie all the generations together and with G1 having humans it just seemed natural. However, I attribute the weird tech level to other things. For example, the lack of cars; with a railroad as extensive as theirs there is little need for them. 

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, the ponies are generally a lot better than humans. Aside from the few villains we have seen, they pretty much live in peace. They never have major international disputes and the closest thing we saw to two sides having a war was when the Appleoosans and the Buffalo were fighting. And they solved that. In their personal lives too, their problems are less terrible than ours. They can be mean sometimes, but even Diamond Tierra, the meanest pony in Ponyville isn't anywhere near as mean as human kids can be. So I think the ponies only have some technologies and not others because they have common sense about what is good for their society and what is not. They don't have cars because they know that the pollution they would cause is not worth the convenience they would provide. They do have medical equipment because they want to heal the sick. They have electronics because they appreciate art and fun, but they don't have guns because (for the most part) they don't want to kill each other.