Would be hard for ponies to understand a government system such as democracy?

InvaderShy

Would be hard for ponies to understand a government system such as democracy?  

31 users have voted

1. 1. Would be hard for ponies to understand a government system such as democracy?

• Brutally hard. They will never understand democracy despite their efforts.
    • Kinda hard. Nothing that a good detailed study about democracy can't solve.
    • Not so hard. It could be easier to understand they ever imagined.
    • Absolutelly easy. They would understand it in few minutes

Everybody here know that the only government system in Equestria is monarchy, or should I say triarchy (Celestia, Luna and Twilight). But I've been wondering about the kind reaction of ponies when a human (whoever she/he is) tells them monarchies are gone on Earth (except in certain countries) and that the dominant government form is democracy.

How big would be the turmoil over ponies' minds if they hear about a system in which ruler is elected by majority's vote?

Would be brutally difficult for them to assimilate completely a system in which terms like "royal" or "prince/princess" don't exist?

What kind of comments would go through ponies' mouths?

Express your points of view.

If the ponies found out about that they would have no choice but to have elections for Mayor. They would have to figure out what a democratic government is and the difference between a society under a monarchy from a society under a democratic government. The comments that they would probably say is, ''What's a democracy?'' and '' How do we conduct an election?''

Ponies are as intelligent as you or I. They would have no greater difficulty understand out form of govt than we would theirs.

They might take issue with our rudeness of our elections, and the lies politicians tell, but thats just because they come from a system that's presented in a utopian way. (a monarchy is a great way for the writers to leave divisive politics out of the storyline).

Why would it be hard? They certainly can understand how unpleasant it would be to be ruled by someone who doesn't care about their well-being. And they would easily understand how some would prefer a system which would make it easier to make the government follow the will of the people. 

Democracy is a pretty shitty system, but the reason why it's the best we have is because monarchs and dictators tend to be cruel and care more about themselves than about the well-being of the people. Equestrians don't have that problem, the princesses are kind and caring, so the ponies don't need to resort to democracy. I think taking power away from Celestia, Luna and Cadance and allowing some less compassionate ponies to have a shot a getting power would cause a lot of harm.

• Brohoof 1

I think it would be very hard because they have been used to a monarchy type system for an incredibly long time. Most places in our world lost their kings and queens to revolution, gradual restructuring etc. But in Equestria, a sudden switchover would cause panic in society. Given that Celestia (and Luna? Can't remember) are eternal it seems pretty much unthinkable.

Edited by Paspie

I think the world of ponies already has democracy in their world. Look at Ponyville, they have a Mayor and I don't think they gave her the job just because her name is Mare Mayor. Most likely she was elected into that position. So towns elect a pony to rule the town, but they elected pony still reports to the Princess.

Chrystal Empirer most likely well not use that method because they may still want to live by the old ways. Seeing as they were sealed away for 

• Brohoof 2

I say kind of hard. I don't think it would be so hard for them to understand, but it would take more than a little convincing them to embrace it. We know that Equestria has been a monarchy for at least over a thousand years, so it is obviously the only thing the ponies have ever experienced. Getting them to change that with out serious motivation would be close to impossible.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

Mayors have been elected officials in RL ever since the thirteenth century, technically before the term 'mayor' was used (It was originally Portreeve, and was turned from an appointed position into an elected one by the order of King John).

Since they deliberately use the term 'Mayor' in-show, we can assume they are fully aware of the democratic system.

The original Earth Pony government may have been a democratic system. In-show we have reference to Chancellor Puddinghead in Hearth's Warming Eve. Chancellor is often an elected position historically, although like portreeve was originally an appointed one. If this one *was* appointed, that means that the Earth Ponies had a higher ruler at that point capable of doing the appointing. Since no higher ruler of the Earth Ponies was mentioned, this implies that the Earth Ponies had a democratic system.

Mind you, they seemed to get the same *quality* of elected officials as many modern democracies do if Pinkie Pie's portrayal was reasonably accurate....

• Brohoof 2

Ponies are as intelligent as you or I. They would have no greater difficulty understand out form of govt than we would theirs.
And yet, there are many people out there who don't really understand what democracy is. They are not idiots: some of them are very smart and/or well educated. They just don't know what it is. Firstly, because they've newer seen a democratic systen working. Secondly, because they don't know that they don't know. They think, democracy is when people have free and honest elections. Of course, when they try to establish such "democracy" it alvays backfires. Then they get disapointed and start to beleave that "our people isn't ready for democracy".

So, it may be in fact very hard to understand what's democracy really is.

But Monarchy and democracy don't necessery exclude each other. Think about United Kingdon: it's а constitutional monarchy (oficial form of government) but it's a democracy at the same time (actual political regime).

And, as someponies already mentionet above, Equestria has some elements of democratic system, like local governments of people or free press.

Do they have other elements, like independent judiciary or NGOs? We'll never know.

That wouldn't be so hard. They seem to have many democratic aspects in their society already, such as a free market, free press, free speech, and the right to assemble and protest. The biggest difference is that they can't elect leaders, but they all seem pretty satisfied with Celestia's rule. Then again, how much does anypony really know about Celestia?

• Brohoof 2

Mayors have been elected officials in RL ever since the thirteenth century, technically before the term 'mayor' was used (It was originally Portreeve, and was turned from an appointed position into an elected one by the order of King John).

Since they deliberately use the term 'Mayor' in-show, we can assume they are fully aware of the democratic system.

The original Earth Pony government may have been a democratic system. In-show we have reference to Chancellor Puddinghead in Hearth's Warming Eve. Chancellor is often an elected position historically, although like portreeve was originally an appointed one. If this one *was* appointed, that means that the Earth Ponies had a higher ruler at that point capable of doing the appointing. Since no higher ruler of the Earth Ponies was mentioned, this implies that the Earth Ponies had a democratic system.

it appears so.

"I am a chancellor. I was elected because I know how to think outside the box. Which means I can also think inside the chimney."

Mind you, they seemed to get the same *quality* of elected officials as many modern democracies do if Pinkie Pie's portrayal was reasonably accurate....

I'd have Chancellor Puddinghead over half of Congress any day.

Even if they don't have this history, though, it's not that hard to conceptualize the basic idea. People choose who they think is the most qualified to lead, and the person chosen the most wins the election. It gets a bit more complicated when you involve concepts like the party system or the electoral college, but that's really the gist of it.

Edited by hawkflame

it appears so."I am a chancellor. I was elected because I know how to think outside the box. Which means I can also think inside the chimney."

Huh, I missed the 'elected' part of that line when I watched the episode. That's not like me, I normally pick up on these kinds of things. Mea culpa.

I'd have Chancellor Puddinghead over half of Congress any day.

I'm going to be applying for American citizenship come the new year, so I can honestly say 'Yes' to the above. :lol:

Even if they don't have this history, though, it's not that hard to conceptualize the basic idea. People choose who they think is the most qualified to lead, and the person chosen the most wins the election. It gets a bit more complicated when you involve concepts like the party system or the electoral college, but that's really the gist of it.

Or dividing up your government into the elected 'house' (House of Commons/House of Representatives) and an appointed 'house' (House of Lords/Senate [Canadian, the American Senate is vaguely different]). 

They already have democratic elements on the local level such as electing mayors for example, just not on the national level. They already do have some concept of it, but getting them to accept it might be a tad difficult. As far as monarchies go Equestria is not too bad of a place and people or in this case ponies seem to be relatively content so long as they are able to support themselves and their families and live their own lives. To change their form of government would be a risk, one that granted may pay off but one that the ponies would only be willing to take under some very extreme circumstances like if all the princesses died or something. 

A bit difficult, but relatively easy to accept. The lesser governments are already elected by popular sovereignty, and possibly most choices made by the government are in agreement with the majority of the population. 

But, Equestria is still a monarchy, or theocracy, if the ponies see the Princesses as their technical goddesses. Most likely a constitutional monarchy, give or take. That way the Princesses are ensured to make good choices, along with limiting their power so they don't have absolute control over the government. 

Not at all. Democracy is not a difficult concept to grasp. We ask the majority what it wants and that's what it gets, even if equestria went from a watchacallit society to a democratic society overnight I don't think anypony would have difficulty getting used to it.

you think you own your house? If you fail to pay your property tax bill guess who owns it now? I think it would be extremely difficult to understand our modern democratic government.

you think you own your house? If you fail to pay your property tax bill guess who owns it now? I think it would be extremely difficult to understand our modern democratic government.

As I understand it the question was whether a pony could understand a democratic system of government. Not whether a pony could understand the American system of government. While America is technically democratic, it has a lot of systems like the Electoral College, two separate elected houses, plus an executive branch, which complicate and confuse the issue.

monarchy is not the only thing they have there. if you pay very close attention in the smile song, pinkie passes by Mayor Mare. secondly, in that same exact part of the song, when pinkie leaves the screen, check out the cutie marks. you have a judge, a law maker, and the mayor. judicial, legislative, and executive branches.

• 3 weeks later...

Celestia would murder all involved. She does stuff like that.
Oh, yes, she does!

And you know what? She has once murdered you!

But then, she has resurrected you. You don't remember, but she does stuff like this, doesn't she?

And she did it, so you can fulfil your purpose. Meaning, you can have done what she wants you to do.

You don't know, what it is - neither do I (so I can't help you on this one).

But whenever you do what you are ment to do - you will die instantly!

Because, you kow, - you outlive your purpose and you're not needed to be alive anymore.

And it could be anything!

Sooooooooooooooo...

Watch out!

tumblr_m4cubf4U611rvehvko3_1280.png