Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fox

It's obviously been an eye sore for many people who keep an eye on calendar events. I think my idea of incorporating a filter to regulate official calendar dates approved by moderators, than unofficial user-made events. I'm sure it's been maybe discussed by staff, but I thought I'd put my piece of mind in.

I'm not all for eradicating all unofficial events; they're just a tad silly lately~. We will still need unofficial user events, except I'd rather the events be something more innovative, and meaningful to the forum community.

Although, I can't ask the mods to promote and boost innovative/creative energy to users creating unofficial user-made calendar events. Unless the staff take the initiative to honor events that they feel have purpose to promote something good, and filter the ones that are just are silly.

I think we can advertise more promising events to encourage more friendships among each other.

mlp-cast.png

What's the call?

3254289-0379015848-Homer.gif

I was the one who originally said public calendar events should be run by mods first, but no one has bothered doing so, and no mods have thus far taken it upon themselves to jump on them. Once an official policy is made, then this can be dealt with.

If they're going to be managed and filtered more, it'd probably be good just to have some general guidelines laid out somewhere about what is and isn't a good calendar event. Maybe like the thing you have to read through before you make a thread in Site Questions/Feedback if possible? Just laying out guidelines like "No personal stuff, no 'It's My Birthday, Yay!' ", etc.

I'm not against being a bit more selective about what goes on there, but I do worry about obstructing members' creativity.

I am sorta to blame for the calender thing because 74.64% of the calender events were made by me, most of them are ridiculous.

I don't really want to get rid of the calender events. I MAY HAVE started the whole 'Let's make goofy calender events' thing...

Honestly, I don't support this. It would limit creativity, wouldn't allow me to do Day After Christmas Day, and if you don't like the calender events / can't find an event that you can use that handy-dandy search feature we have. It'll limit creativity. Also, I like the calender events. I don't want public ones to go away, and for that matter, the ridiculous ones. I'm not sure how it'll encourage more friendchips either (Typo intentional), and we barely have an offical holiday. 

It's just at this moment we have a lot of events.

...so sorry, no go for me.

I am sorta to blame for the calender thing because 74.64% of the calender events were made by me, most of them are ridiculous.

I don't really want to get rid of the calender events. I MAY HAVE started the whole 'Let's make goofy calender events' thing...

Honestly, I don't support this. It would limit creativity, wouldn't allow me to do Day After Christmas Day, and if you don't like the calender events / can't find an event that you can use that handy-dandy search feature we have. It'll limit creativity. Also, I like the calender events. I don't want public ones to go away, and for that matter, the ridiculous ones. I'm not sure how it'll encourage more friendchips either (Typo intentional), and we barely have an offical holiday. 

It's just at this moment we have a lot of events.

...so sorry, no go for me.

Nonono. I'm asking if we can have a setting to disable/customize calendar events. To have variable options giving us the opportunity to switch the setting to view official, unofficial, and both. Depending what you like. : v

Nonono. I'm asking if we can have a setting to disable/customize calendar events. To have variable options giving us the opportunity to switch the setting to view official, unofficial, and both. Depending what you like. : v

At the moment, we have the ability to make non-staff created member events forced to need staff approval prior to appearing. I was going to make a topic or FAQ somewhere that more or less casually talked about what kind of things make very good calendar events, about what length of time prior to the event you should post it up, and what sort of things might be better off in the lounge as opposed to a event (aka, what the staff would deny).

Trying to set things up technically so there's splits in sections, then messing with permissions and things for all those sections, etc sounds like extra work that isn't mandatory, at the moment, at least from my perspective. The immediate solution is something we've all derped and not even realized so, I'd like to try that first if nothing else and see if it works fine.

Just as a pointless by the way, 'official' staff calendar events happen so rarely (the BronyCon thing is about the only thing in the last numerous several months I've seen, and episode dates during the season don't count because those are listed separately as 'Episodes', not 'Events' anyway), that I don't think segregation would even do very much.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 1