Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Original Metal Song! (Feedback would be great!) :D

Shred Guitar Brony

Hey guys!

In the past couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of my free time writing and recording this song! I had a lot of fun in the process and I feel it turned out pretty cool. I think If I added vocals it would make it even better but I dont really feel like my vocals are good enough just yet aha!

Anyways both positive and negative feedback are welcome as always.

I hope you enjoy! biggrin.png /)

Also If you get the Dark Souls reference in the title then I will love you forever....

https://soundcloud.com/elias-browning/original-song-consumed-by-the

P.S HAPPY BIRTHDAY MLP FORUMS /)

• Brohoof 2

Sounds good. But I have a feeling that I've heard it before. It's really familiar. But it is a nice song. And it's currently stuck in my head. XD

Thanks man! :D

It is an Original but it may have similarities to another song that I haven't heard or it may just be that It follows a common structure found in a lot of similar metalcore type songs. 

If you do remember what song it's similar to I'd love to hear it just out of plain curiosity aha! 

If you do remember what song it's similar to I'd love to hear it just out of plain curiosity aha! 

I don't know. I think it was a dubstep song, but I listen to way too much dubstep to know what song it was. I don't know. It might even be a pop song it sounds like.

I don't know. I think it was a dubstep song, but I listen to way too much dubstep to know what song it was. I don't know. It might even be a pop song it sounds like.

Oh that's cool. A dubstep equivalent would be sweet aha! Anyway thanks for checking it out man. :)   

• Brohoof 1

Sounds good to me, may I ask what guitar did You use and how did You record it? ^^ I also try some songwriting, but I am unable to finish any song so far... :( 

Sounds good to me, may I ask what guitar did You use and how did You record it? ^^ I also try some songwriting, but I am unable to finish any song so far... sad.png

Thanks! I used a Prs torero plugged into a line 6 UX2 audio interface. I got the tones from line 6 Podfarm which is basically a program that simulates amps on your computer, It's great for recording although it doesn't sound quite as good as a real valve amp but if you tweak it you can get some decent sounds from it. I then used Cubase to record. If you need help with anything in particular feel free to Pm me and I'll be happy to try and help! :)

I don't listen to that much metal, but this is pretty good! Maybe you can find a singer to do the vocals for you?

I really like it, good job! smile.png

Thankyou! :D

I'm thinking of finding a singer for the track however It's sometimes a bit tricky to find someone with a good voice and a decent method of recording themselves. 

• Brohoof 1

Thanks! I used a Prs torero plugged into a line 6 UX2 audio interface. I got the tones from line 6 Podfarm which is basically a program that simulates amps on your computer, It's great for recording although it doesn't sound quite as good as a real valve amp but if you tweak it you can get some decent sounds from it. I then used Cubase to record. If you need help with anything in particular feel free to Pm me and I'll be happy to try and help! smile.png

Right now I need to finish at least one song before recording, but I'll message You when I'll be ready to record something, thanks :D

• Brohoof 2

Hey guys!

In the past couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of my free time writing and recording this song! I had a lot of fun in the process and I feel it turned out pretty cool. I think If I added vocals it would make it even better but I dont really feel like my vocals are good enough just yet aha!

Anyways both positive and negative feedback are welcome as always.

I hope you enjoy! img-1902550-1-biggrin.png /)

Also If you get the Dark Souls reference in the title then I will love you forever....

https://soundcloud.com/elias-browning/original-song-consumed-by-the

P.S HAPPY BIRTHDAY MLP FORUMS /)

Badass. I'd love to do the vocals for Consumed by the Abyss. We should talk! From an artistic standpoint, I want to get a feel for what the song is all about, what your inspiration was, what lyrics/melodies you've already put together, etc. As for vocal styling, I can do any combination of death metal, hardcore or screamo.

From a technical standpoint, what software do you use? (edit: I just saw your other post, further down). I also use Cubase. If you are comfortable sharing raw files, I could import them, integrate the vocals tracks, and send them back to you. I have a hundred more questions for your about your work, but I'll save them for skype/PM/whatever.

Unfortunately, the only public example of my metal vocal work (for now) is here. I've significantly expanded my range and endurance since then. If you think it's something that might work for your project, let me know!

EDIT: after 5 or 6 playthroughs, I've done a basic mapping of the song's structure, and vocals possibilities are practically jumping off the screen at me. I have a feeling this will consume my entire weekend!

-----

EDIT (again)

After a couple hours of listening to, mapping out, playing along with and otherwise tinkering with the song...

Things you can do:

- I LOVE the gnarly drum work between the first pre-chorus and the first chorus (0:53-0:56). Give us more of that shit throughout the song!

- Incorporate a more fluid tempo: speed up and slow down as appropriate (the bridge, the outro). Cubase is very flexible in this regard, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll have to pull up its PDF user manual to figure out how to make it work. It’s worth the effort, though. If you have questions, I'll be glad to help.

- Minimize (or remove) drums from the first half of the bridge; this will give the solo more impact when it cuts loose

- Add an outro: the verse riff with double bass and/or blast beats could work nicely

- Change the title to something shorter, more unique or more striking. Tell us something new or thought-provoking.

Things I can do for you:

- Add a more ambient intro. I can build synth/sampled noise, fade-ins, amplifier feedback, etc. that could lend a sense of apprehension/anticipation to make your opening riff really sink its teeth in.

- Drums: I assume all of your drums were MIDI or otherwise synth. This works well for the style of music, but I can remaster them under a few different hardware/software drum kits/machines to get the absolute most out of the sound.

- Bass guitar: I can rewrite/record the bass lines to add a more dynamic, visceral quality that compliments the guitar/drums that much more. I’ve been dieing to put my “double tap” technique to canvas, and this song is perfect for it

- Guitar: I don’t want to touch your fantastic work. However, I *might* be able to reloop your tracks through a cabinet or other devices to expand the sound and give it the presence to do your performance justice.

Project outline: items in [text] indicate what might work well for the next iteration

Tempo: ~124 BPM

[-0:06-0:00] foreword

0:00-0:16 -- intro (8 measures)

0:17-0:40 -- verse 1 (3x cycles / 12 measures)

0:41-0:56 -- pre-chorus (2x cycles / 8 measures)

0:57-1:28 -- chorus (2x cycles / 16 measures)

1:29-1:52 -- verse 2 (3x cycles / 12 measures

1:53-2:07 -- pre-chorus (2x cycles / 8 measures)

2:08-2:40 -- chorus (2x cycles / 16 measures)

[2:41-2:46] -- bridge section 1, clean guitar, no drums (1x cycle / 8 measures)

2:47-3:11 -- bridge section 2 (1x cycle / 8 measures)

3:12-3:44 -- solo section 1 (16 measures)

3:45-3:59 -- solo section 2 (8 measures)

4:00-4:17 -- pre-chorus (2x cycles / 8 measures)

4:18-4:47 -- chorus (2x cycles / 16 measures)

[4:48-5:00] -- outro verse (3x cycles / 12 measures)

Bottom line: your song is awesome, and I don't want to change it into something you didn't intend. It has enormous potential, and I just want to do anything I can in order to help you make the most badass production imaginable. I apologize if I come off as over-bearing; I'm just excited and inspired by what you've shared with us!

Edited by NLR Information Minister
  • Brohoof 1

Badass. I'd love to do the vocals for Consumed by the Abyss. We should talk! From an artistic standpoint, I want to get a feel for what the song is all about, what your inspiration was, what lyrics/melodies you've already put together, etc. As for vocal styling, I can do any combination of death metal, hardcore or screamo.

From a technical standpoint, what software do you use? (edit: I just saw your other post, further down). I also use Cubase. If you are comfortable sharing raw files, I could import them, integrate the vocals tracks, and send them back to you. I have a hundred more questions for your about your work, but I'll save them for skype/PM/whatever.

Unfortunately, the only public example of my metal vocal work (for now) is here. I've significantly expanded my range and endurance since then. If you think it's something that might work for your project, let me know!

EDIT: after 5 or 6 playthroughs, I've done a basic mapping of the song's structure, and vocals possibilities are practically jumping off the screen at me. I have a feeling this will consume my entire weekend!

-----

EDIT (again)

After a couple hours of listening to, mapping out, playing along with and otherwise tinkering with the song...

Things you can do:

- I LOVE the gnarly drum work between the first pre-chorus and the first chorus (0:53-0:56). Give us more of that shit throughout the song!

- Incorporate a more fluid tempo: speed up and slow down as appropriate (the bridge, the outro). Cubase is very flexible in this regard, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll have to pull up its PDF user manual to figure out how to make it work. It’s worth the effort, though. If you have questions, I'll be glad to help.

- Minimize (or remove) drums from the first half of the bridge; this will give the solo more impact when it cuts loose

- Add an outro: the verse riff with double bass and/or blast beats could work nicely

- Change the title to something shorter, more unique or more striking. Tell us something new or thought-provoking.

Things I can do for you:

- Add a more ambient intro. I can build synth/sampled noise, fade-ins, amplifier feedback, etc. that could lend a sense of apprehension/anticipation to make your opening riff really sink its teeth in.

- Drums: I assume all of your drums were MIDI or otherwise synth. This works well for the style of music, but I can remaster them under a few different hardware/software drum kits/machines to get the absolute most out of the sound.

- Bass guitar: I can rewrite/record the bass lines to add a more dynamic, visceral quality that compliments the guitar/drums that much more. I’ve been dieing to put my “double tap” technique to canvas, and this song is perfect for it

- Guitar: I don’t want to touch your fantastic work. However, I *might* be able to reloop your tracks through a cabinet or other devices to expand the sound and give it the presence to do your performance justice.

Project outline: items in [text] indicate what might work well for the next iteration

Tempo: ~124 BPM

[-0:06-0:00] foreword

0:00-0:16 -- intro (8 measures)

0:17-0:40 -- verse 1 (3x cycles / 12 measures)

0:41-0:56 -- pre-chorus (2x cycles / 8 measures)

0:57-1:28 -- chorus (2x cycles / 16 measures)

1:29-1:52 -- verse 2 (3x cycles / 12 measures

1:53-2:07 -- pre-chorus (2x cycles / 8 measures)

2:08-2:40 -- chorus (2x cycles / 16 measures)

[2:41-2:46] -- bridge section 1, clean guitar, no drums (1x cycle / 8 measures)

2:47-3:11 -- bridge section 2 (1x cycle / 8 measures)

3:12-3:44 -- solo section 1 (16 measures)

3:45-3:59 -- solo section 2 (8 measures)

4:00-4:17 -- pre-chorus (2x cycles / 8 measures)

4:18-4:47 -- chorus (2x cycles / 16 measures)

[4:48-5:00] -- outro verse (3x cycles / 12 measures)

Bottom line: your song is awesome, and I don't want to change it into something you didn't intend. It has enormous potential, and I just want to do anything I can in order to help you make the most badass production imaginable. I apologize if I come off as over-bearing; I'm just excited and inspired by what you've shared with us!

Hey man, thankyou for the kind words. :D

Your voice sounds pretty sweet! You also sound very knowledgeable on a lot of methods of recording and sound engineering!

I would love to work with you to develop and add to this track I'll Pm you after my breakfast aha! :)

P.S. 

I have a feeling this will consume my entire weekend!
 xD that was a great pun :P

I would love to work with you to develop and add to this track I'll Pm you after my breakfast aha! img-1904412-1-smile.png

Excellent!  You're welcome to contact me on Skype at nlr.information.minister or if you want to send notes/files/etc you can email them directly to nlr.username@gmail.com.  For now it's past 3am my time, so I have to get some sleep.  But I'm off all weekend, and I'm sure we can make a lot of progress. img-1904412-2-derpy_emoticon1.png

---

EDIT: an update for anybody who might be following along...

Today Shred and I Skyped for a little while, talking about the tools and structure, as well as some concepts for lyrics.  This afternoon I'll start working on the vocal harmonies a bit, and maybe tomorrow we'll be able to share some files and start putting it together.

---

EDIT 2: today we tried to transfer his project files (about 700MB) to me, but got interrupted.  Oh well; we can try again tomorrow.  On the up side, this has inspired me to get my own shit in order.  My studio was a mess, but I fixed it up today.

• Brohoof 1

---

UPDATE: Yesterday we finished transferring the files (4 rhythm guitar tracks, a lead guitar track, a bass track, and .wav/.mid versions of the drums).  I retuned my 4-string bass to standard E and got to work.  It's been a long time since I played bass in E, rather than my usual 5-string Drop G# (to go along with a similarly tuned 7-string guitar).  Anyways, it felt good.  Over the next couple days I'll get a working draft of the bass line, remaster it, and send it back across the pond (an MP3 with just the bass, and another with it integrated into the rest of the song) to get some feedback.

As for the vocals, I've burned the original to a CD (I know...old fashioned, but I'm still trying to get my iPhone to accept MP3s that don't come from iTunes) and I'm listening to the original version on the drive to/from work.  I find that driving is a great time to crank it up and experiment with various vocal melodies and harmonies.  It's hard for me to do that kind of thing just sitting in my studio...I think the change of scenery helps free up my mind a little bit.

---

Very rough draft/demo of the first verse.  The lyrics are not set in stone, of course.  My main objective was to find/record a vocal style that would work for the verses.  The pre-chorus and chorus will be much more melodic (in the same way that Slipknot and the Deftones differentiate between their verse and chorus vocals).  Anyways, here's the demo so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOtljLg3unk

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

It took a little while, but I have finished putting together my half-way presentable, re-engineered version of this song.  I took the amazingly inspired original concept and juxtaposed onto it my vision of a struggle for life.  In its current version, it stands somewhere between thrash metal and death metal.  I can't speak for Shred or his inspirations, but my vocal stylings were strongly influenced by Napalm Death and Avenged Sevenfold.

Anyways, enough blabbering.  More metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t7Y2quKlejk

If I can come up with a way to get Shred to Baltimore, we should totally go to BronyCon 2014 and dominate the new Renegade Stage with heretofore unknown levels of metal ownage.

EDIT: I just now noticed that this thread is in the "Non-Pony Artwork" section.  What do you think, Shred?  Is it sufficiently FiM-themed to warrant a move?  On the other hand, the only thing that connects my lyrics to anything MLP is the words "sister" and "queen."  The entire thing could be (not incorrectly) interpreted as the early struggle between other pairs of mythical figures of considerable renown.

• 4 weeks later...

Per our conversation yesterday, I put together a rough demo of a visualization video.  If you feel like it distracts from the song, or is otherwise a poor fit for this project, let me know.  Any and all feedback is welcome, of course.

If we go with this or something similar, I can make a 1080p version without the logo on the top left.

http://youtu.be/TCPoN5cVrBw

Ok, let's try this again.  A lot less spastic with the visuals this time:

And (mostly so I don't forget half of it), here's what we're still working on...

- Getting a third party to help with the final mixdown

- Refining the outro (and maybe the intro)

- Automating or otherwise reducing the reverb in the chorus vocals

• Brohoof 1