1. 1. Which user interface do you use?

• KDE
    • GNOME 3
    • GNOME 2 work-alike (MATE, Cinnamon)
    • Unity
    • XFCE
    • LXDE
    • Enlightenment
    • Other (IceWM, CDE, Indigo Magic, WTF computer are you using???)
    • Screw DEs, I just use a WM! (specify)
    • Same as above, but it has to be a *tiling* WM! (specify)
    • Screw X11! I use Wayland (specify compositor)
    • Screw X11! I Use MIR (specify preferred conveyance to the depths of hell)
    • Screw X11! I use the CLI (specify browser you are using to view this poll)

A lot of Linux users are also Ubuntu users, so I imagine many of us Linux ponies are using their default: Unity. The distro doesn't really matter, though, since any user interface can run on any distro.

I voted for the tiling WM. Specifically, i3.

Edited by decoherence

Haha! I like your poll options!

As for myself, I use a tiling window manager called DWM. One really cool thing about it is that the source code is built to be under 2000 lines of C. Configuring the environment means manually editing a configuration file and then rebuilding it. A bit of a pain, but I love the performance and simplicity.

For a while, I used KDE as well and I must say, they have made some pretty large leaps since 4.2. I found it quite stable and usable, it was just a bit too bloated for my tastes.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Yay DWM! If I wasn't using i3, I'd be using DWM. If you haven't tried i3 yet, check it out. It's a lot like DWM except with actual config files, and a keyboard shortcut to re-read those config files, which makes it much nicer to tweak! happy.png  That said, if you have DWM working like you want, it's hard to argue with 2000 lines of C that provides so much functionality.

• Brohoof 1

Sadly, due to compatibility issues with silly hardware, I reverted back to Windows and regret every second of it. Once Steam OS comes out, I'll be moving to that, and that's very nicely Linux based, but for now I have my terrible Windows. sad.png

Sadly, due to compatibility issues with silly hardware, I reverted back to Windows and regret every second of it. Once Steam OS comes out, I'll be moving to that, and that's very nicely Linux based, but for now I have my terrible Windows. img-1966728-1-sad.png

Oh yeah, SteamOS looks very interesting, and I can't wait to get my hands on that controller! I use Windows as well, mostly for running Reason and Adobe programs. Windows 7 ain't all that terrible. Y'know, for Windows ;)

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I was raised with Gnome 2 Desktop. Today I go for Mate most of the time and for LXDE on systems with limited resources

on my raspberry systems and servers I have normally no GUI installed and just login via ssh