Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Best video game villan

LunaShy

The Shadowlords from Ultima 5.  Both mysterious and menacing and very effective villians.

Other honorably mentions go to:

Glados - For being so much fun.

The G-Man - For being so enigmatic

Kefka - For actually succeeding in destroying the world.

Bob Page - Being the ultimate mastermind behind all of the conspiracy theories in Deus Ex.

I love Kefka's off-kilter madness. It's dangerous, deadly, and amusing, but I also really like the discreet, manipulative villains, such as GlaDOS, Hargreave, Gengar, Darkrai...It's so tough!

I think it's between Gengar and Darkrai: Both use your allies as enemies. Darkrai used to lords and rulers, but I think Gengar wins by turning the entire town and all your friends against you, and that's only his beginning!

Hard to say, there are so many good ones but here are a few that I think deserve a mention.

Ghirahim (Zelda): this guy is seriously the creepiest villain in the entire series and one of the creepiest video game villains of all time. I love how they included a villain that really screwed with your head in the Zelda series and brought someone who was a bit different than most of the other villains. And he also has the honor of being the toughest first boss fight I ever experienced (and he gets tougher with each fight).

Bowser: I love the range he has as a character. He has been depending on the game a sympathetic villain, an anti hero, a monstrous villain and in some cases even a comedic villain, 

Dr Robotnik/Eggman (Sonic): Lots of mad scientists out there but I think guy whose design was interestingly enough inspired by Teddy Roosevelt seems to hit all the right notes for that.

Giygas (Mother/Earthbound): lots of people like him because of how disturbing and menacing he was but most of those people haven't seen how he was portrayed in Mother 1 (he is sometimes called Giegue in certain translations) which was unfortunately never released outside of Japan (Earthbound is Mother 2). He was also the main villain of Mother 1 but it was before he completely lost his mind, he still had a conscience and as you can see from the final boss battle in Mother 1 struggled with his duty to his people as his conscience which told him that what he was doing was wrong. When you have the added context from Mother 1 it makes the final boss battle in Mother 2 (Earthbound) that much more disturbing as well as thought provoking.

Giygas became the mindless killing machine he was because he completely and totally destroyed his own conscience in order to fulfill his mission. This is a rather disturbing and profound truth and is something a lot of people have in fact actually done to enable themselves to do some very horrible things. It took a simple song to defeat him in Mother 1 not by destroying him but by making it to where he could no longer continue because it appealed to his own conscience.

The best video game villain, in my opinion, is Vaas from Far Cry 3. Seriously, he's so AWESOME

I also really like these villains:

Andrew Ryan from BioShock

Zachary H. Comstock from BioShock Infinite

Handsome Jack from the Borderlands games

GLaDOS from the Portal games

The Joker from Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City

Off the top of my head I can only think of Vaas from Far Cry 3. Such a great character, one of the best I've seen in a long while. 

Other than that, I guess there's Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet and Clank 3, he's pretty funny.