technology Thoughts on Google+?

Revy ~ Two Hands

I hate the new Google+ stuff. Google+ was pointless to begin with. Now Google is forcing YouTube users to use Google+ to comment on videos or to even have an account. They're basically taking rights from all their users. This is how they will lose valued users. They really screwed up on this one.

• Brohoof 3

Something I noticed while trying to browse YouTube last night was how laggy the update has made YouTube. It has now become impossible for me to use YouTube with any other tabs open.

• Brohoof 3

Its as much google as YouTube so if you want to be 'coherent' you'll also not want to use any google app, not use google search, gmail, google+ etc. Also less than 1% of the people use other video hosting sites so practically no on is going to hear your message.

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 1

@, YT was pretty much the only Google feature I was using besides the search engine in the first place.

I'm boycotting the latter already, been using other search engines for several weeks and they actually work great.

Warning: wall o'text, but relevant.

My Gmail was only made as a sort of "intermediate", to transfer contacts from a shitty email provider to Yahoo, never to be used again. Though the family address is Gmail (and my mother has a Facebook she rarely uses), but for me it had no purpose beyond contact import (Yahoo didn't allow importation from a random provider).

I only tried a few apps (Skype, YouTube, LinkedIn...) and they sucked so much I swore to never use them again, Google or not.

I also tried Chrome for a while, but it started getting laggy after some use just like IE. Ever since I got Firefox though, I can breathe; takes a lot more to slow it down.

On the subject of Gmail, I never intended to use it more than a week (especially with my spammy-looking username), until Google decided to just up and connect all Google accounts. My YT was initially linked with my Yahoo mail, but Google found it convenient to make me change it, harassing me every other video until I finally said yes.

I never got a Google+ either, until it was made compulsory to use my YT; then I created my profile, and after checking out its functions, didn't think anything of it. Again, the account's creation was forced down my throat, its features never even touched beyond making a profile.

So yeah, at this point, all I have to give up on, are Google search and YouTube. Those two are my only direct connection to Google, unless Tumblr and Skype are theirs as well (Skype was Microsoft's if I recall right).

I've found quite a few things on Dailymotion that I really love, too. I think it's the advantage of having less content - quality stuff is more visible.

your message

This makes me feel you haven't really looked at the uploader's name, or missed the post where I tell mine.

That isn't my message, I didn't make that clip or even write the song. I just found it and think it's an accurate representation of my thoughts on Google+.

It doesn't matter that the video is on a less popular website, because I can spread the link (like I just did in this thread). I can put up the link on my other accounts (say, DeviantART or Tumblr) and anyone who sees it will be able to watch the video.

• Brohoof 1

@, YT was pretty much the only Google feature I was using besides the search engine in the first place.I'm boycotting the latter already, been using other search engines for several weeks and they actually work great.Warning: wall o'text, but relevant.

My Gmail was only made as a sort of "intermediate", to transfer contacts from a shitty email provider to Yahoo, never to be used again. Though the family address is Gmail (and my mother has a Facebook she rarely uses), but for me it had no purpose beyond contact import (Yahoo didn't allow importation from a random provider).I only tried a few apps (Skype, YouTube, LinkedIn...) and they sucked so much I swore to never use them again, Google or not.I also tried Chrome for a while, but it started getting laggy after some use just like IE. Ever since I got Firefox though, I can breathe; takes a lot more to slow it down.On the subject of Gmail, I never intended to use it more than a week (especially with my spammy-looking username), until Google decided to just up and connect all Google accounts. My YT was initially linked with my Yahoo mail, but Google found it convenient to make me change it, harassing me every other video until I finally said yes.I never got a Google+ either, until it was made compulsory to use my YT; then I created my profile, and after checking out its functions, didn't think anything of it. Again, the account's creation was forced down my throat, its features never even touched beyond making a profile.

So yeah, at this point, all I have to give up on, are Google search and YouTube. Those two are my only direct connection to Google, unless Tumblr and Skype are theirs as well (Skype was Microsoft's if I recall right).I've found quite a few things on Dailymotion that I really love, too. I think it's the advantage of having less content - quality stuff is more visible.This makes me feel you haven't really looked at the uploader's name, or missed the post where I tell mine.That isn't my message, I didn't make that clip or even write the song. I just found it and think it's an accurate representation of my thoughts on Google+.It doesn't matter that the video is on a less popular website, because I can spread the link (like I just did in this thread). I can put up the link on my other accounts (say, DeviantART or Tumblr) and anyone who sees it will be able to watch the video.

Well my point that it will get less traffic is one I stick too. You wont get google search traffic for it which is potentially where you could get the most, unless you had the video embedded on the front page of a high traffic site.

• Brohoof 2

When I first got forced to update, I hated it. Partially because I was in the most awesome comment war ever when the old comments were disabled. But then, after a couple of weeks I grew to like it because the name I put on my Google Account (Gamey Geemer) it didn't change my youtube name, since that already was that basically, and then I found out that I could post links and Ascii art, both of my problems with the old youtube comment system were fixed. And so, I grew content and didn't hate it.

• Brohoof 2

When I first got forced to update, I hated it. Partially because I was in the most awesome comment war ever when the old comments were disabled. But then, after a couple of weeks I grew to like it because the name I put on my Google Account (Gamey Geemer) it didn't change my youtube name, since that already was that basically, and then I found out that I could post links and Ascii art, both of my problems with the old youtube comment system were fixed. And so, I grew content and didn't hate it.

Some things are good, but a lot of things are bad. Why are there no top comments? And I can't click on anything in the iframe the comments are in if I'm logged in. Links would be good to me, though.

• Brohoof 1

Why are there no top comments

There KIND OF is. If you switch the filter from New to Top than it puts more wait on Votes Up than time. While it doesn't change much if there is enough of an upvote on something from last year it will be fairly close to the top.

And I can't click on anything in the iframe the comments are in if I'm logged in

I don't know what the iframe is. A mobile thing maybe, I only use my laptop so I can't help you.

• Brohoof 1

There KIND OF is. If you switch the filter from New to Top than it puts more wait on Votes Up than time. While it doesn't change much if there is enough of an upvote on something from last year it will be fairly close to the top.

I don't know what the iframe is. A mobile thing maybe, I only use my laptop so I can't help you.

YouTube's new comments are inside an iframe now.

I really don't like it to be completely honest with you.

I feel like Im being forced to connect everything I have to google now and I find it quite annoying. 

Not to mention how badly youtube as become because of it, I can kind of see what google wanted to do with this but, I think what looks good on paper doesn't always work out in reality. 

• Brohoof 2

So yeah, I think the general consensus here, is that

- we wouldn't mind G+ if it weren't simply forced down everyone's throats

- those who had Google accounts with their real names don't appreciate being forced to share personal info on YouTube, which they merely use for recreation and share more publicly than Google+

- YouTube has gotten laggier, more noticeably on slow computers of course

- we don't really mind the new comment system; in fact it allows us to format our text better, keep track of discussions even when we're not specifically referred to; with five downsides:

. people can post entire books or links to viruses

. comments before the update can't be acted upon, not even flagged for spam for something made the day before the update

. you need to be logged into YouTube AND Google+ to do anything, from replying to rating comments

. you can't reply to any comment older than a week, meaning Google expects you to check your everything several times a week to keep a consistent discussion going

. the formatting (bold, strikethrough) use symbols that ALREADY have their own use in normal online conversation

. many uploaders can't even see comments on their own videos without checking them one by one

- Google did all this shit instead of allowing higher quality video upload, which would actually allow it to stay up-to-date with modern tech standards

All in all, that's a lot of terrible stuff for a very small amount of good stuff. That's not improvement, that's alienation.

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 2

I don't know what the iframe is.

Clicky

Basically, the comments are now stored in a separate session which is then plastered onto the watch page. On some watch pages the iframe link is broken so you can actually use the old comments on those videos.

Yahoo did the same thing with their Mail 'improvement' a couple of months ago. For a little while you could access the old system by opening the Search tab link first, and then back to Mail.

• 2 weeks later...

It begins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kIrsw8-io

This was one of the first partner channels, and has accumulated over 300k subscribers. Now, he has gone. Done. Finito. I know this isn't directly related to Google+ (more their Content ID policies), but still. I didn't expect it to go this far, but I'm glad it is. This is a trickle that will soon become a menacing flood assuming Google doesn't act on it.

When he says the official website, he actually means Dailymotion; the embeds on the site give the game away. They have an equivalent partner program, which CGR has registered for, and currently the first exclusive video has upwards of 15k views. Not bad for a Dailymotion video. This truly is the future everyone.

• Brohoof 2

i like that instead of going all the way into my youtube inbox there is a notifier on the top right if I got a reply or a thumbs up or even someone i subscribed to uploads a new video. Im enjoying google + even though most of you hate it. and I can disable replies to my comments

Edited by Georgeson

What most people don't seem to understand is that Google doesn't need to listen to us. Their advertising business (worth $50 billion) pays for absolutely everything, even these stupid decisions. The only way you can make them notice is by switching to another service.

• Brohoof 1